Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traditional Sunday Tea  (Read 1924 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Traditional Sunday Tea
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 02:46:06 PM »
I've modified the Sunday roast a bit. Instead of a proper roast, we often buy lamb of pork chops. My DF is happy with whatever veg we have around and he's also happy to have the potato in varying forms.

But like VNP, I add herbs, spices and more flavor than the MIL would ever dream of. When I cook for the DF's parents, I'm not allowed garlic or anything. But I refuse to not have semi- pink beef!

My MIL does offer up cake or little store bought tarts and stuff if we've had a large afternoon meal but I usually tried to avoid it!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 03:13:18 PM »
Do they have crock-pots there?  I make my Sunday roasts in the crock pot.  Fully cooked, tender, juicy-it literally falls apart, and doesn't heat up the kitchen either.

Maybe you could get one and convince him to try it.  Put the meat in the pot, throw in about half a bottle of dark beer, some Bisto granules, and some soup mix if you have it.  I chop and add carrots, turnips, and parsnips.

Takes about 6 hours to cook on high.  I cook mine longer, put it in at about 9-11 am, depending on when I get up, and we eat 6:30-ish to 8-ish.

Trust me, it's fantastic, and the leftovers are wonderful too. 

• Global Funk Radio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 04:01:36 PM »
Am I the only one who gets hearburn from Bisto?  I feel terrible, but I just do not like Sunday Roast!  There I SAID IT! lol  If my husband knew this is how I felt, it would break his heart, but that meal stays with me for the rest of the day and night and it's torture!  I'm kind of glad we're still here in the states for now because we haven't had roast here for ages. But we've been back to England prettry frequently lately and I just can't take another roast!  :(

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2004, 04:54:29 PM »
Do they have crock-pots there?  I make my Sunday roasts in the crock pot.  Fully cooked, tender, juicy-it literally falls apart, and doesn't heat up the kitchen either. 

I got a nice one from Argos :)

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2004, 06:53:54 AM »
Am I the only one who gets hearburn from Bisto?  I feel terrible, but I just do not like Sunday Roast!  There I SAID IT! lol  If my husband knew this is how I felt, it would break his heart, but that meal stays with me for the rest of the day and night and it's torture!  I'm kind of glad we're still here in the states for now because we haven't had roast here for ages. But we've been back to England prettry frequently lately and I just can't take another roast!  :(

I'm with you on this one.  I don't even EAT roast, but am served it every Sunday.. just.. ugh.  And then the tea and cakes afterward??? I don't have a sweet tooth either.. so I'm always left rather hungry on a Sunday evening.  Usually wind up having cereal around 9pm ;)

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »
Wait a minute..you guys are getting tea and cakes after Sunday roast? If Im lucky Ill get a small slice of Vienetta with a VERY large spoon by the way. Whats with the very large spoons for dessert by the way? When my 2 year old was in the hospital for a few days they brought him a bowl of Redi-brek for breakfast with a HUGE spoon! I learned to carry small plastic teaspoons with me now.
Pebs [smiley=angel.gif]

• Liked: 8
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 02:53:17 PM »
Wait a minute..you guys are getting tea and cakes after Sunday roast? If Im lucky Ill get a small slice of Vienetta with a VERY large spoon by the way. Whats with the very large spoons for dessert by the way? When my 2 year old was in the hospital for a few days they brought him a bowl of Redi-brek for breakfast with a HUGE spoon! I learned to carry small plastic teaspoons with me now.
Pebs [smiley=angel.gif]

I say what's with spoons and dessert full stop???  DH wants a SPOON when I give him a piece of cake.  Huh???????   ::)

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2004, 03:04:57 PM »
My husband uses a huge soup spoon to eat ice cream.  Then he can't understand why our dd can't eat off his spoon.

I told him, "She's not used to eating from a shovel."

Teaspoon!  Teaspoon!

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2004, 11:52:01 PM »
I say what's with spoons and dessert full stop???  DH wants a SPOON when I give him a piece of cake.  Huh?

Wow, really??  A utensil being used for cake??  By a brit??????????????????????  Certainly not?  I've only ever seen them use their hands for cake. :o

And for desserts, in my experience, they always use a tiny tea spoon.  I guess to make it feel as though you've got more than you really do??

Oddness

• Liked: 8
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2004, 08:18:54 AM »
hehe...yep, he insists on a spoon, whereas I demand a fork!

and.....he prefers dessert in bowls....so if it's cake and ice cream (is it too early in the day to be craving this??), he'll want it in a bowl whereas I'd only put in on a little plate........weird!

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2004, 08:46:10 AM »
Here's one...my husband--who, make no mistake about this, will eat ANYTHING--recoiled in horror when I offered him a slice of cake with chilled custard sauce. He goes, 'Oh how disgusting! Cold custard! Ugh!' and flings it into the microwave to make it 'edible'. It's August for God's sake! (And he too wants aything sweet in a bowl, and uses a gigantic spoon). LOL

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2004, 09:27:09 AM »
And for desserts, in my experience, they always use a tiny tea spoon.  I guess to make it feel as though you've got more than you really do??

Damn, I thought it was just me who did that. Cake with a teaspoon, Angel Delight with a teaspoon, ice-cream with a teaspoon. It's all good.

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2004, 09:44:14 AM »
Ah yes, the steaming hot custard. I know it well. AND hubby usually waters it down pretty good before drowning the cake in it. One time I didnt have any dessert after Sunday dinner so hubby took mini rolls and drowned them in hot custard. YUCK. When I was in the hospital a few weeks ago having my son I found the hospital food to be quite nice however there was always a very deep bowl of boiling hot custard with a "shovel" to eat it with.
Pebs

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2004, 07:53:12 PM »
Custard sounds really good right now.. Mmmmmm.. do we have it in the states?  I've never even thought to look.

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2004, 10:36:59 PM »
My husband likes the skin off of the top of the custard.  He claims it's the best bit about it.   :P

"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab