Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US/UK. US Giant makes a hostile offer for British Chocolate Maker  (Read 3066 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: US/UK. US Giant makes a hostile offer for British Chocolate Maker
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
Agree that Hershey's has a weird aftertaste. It feels clingy in my throat after I eat it, whereas Cadbury's and other English chocolates don't have a weird aftertaste or cling to my throat. Definitely prefer English chocolate now.
I see Bob's point about corporations. It doesn't really matter, I guess. I doubt Kraft will change the recipes or anything. And if not them, it would be someone else, or Cadbury's would buy out someone else, etc. etc.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »
I might be the only person on this board, but in general cheap cr@p chocolate, be it Hershey's or Dairy Milk tastes like cheap cr@p chocolate. 

It has its place on occasion, a smores bar does not taste right with anything but Hershey and I will eat a chocolate out of the Quality Street tin if offered, but it is not good chocolate for different reasons. 

I have never been able to eat any amount of Dairy Milk without it giving me heartburn and Hershey's eat straight does have a vague sour taste.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 10:30:44 AM »
I can't get onto the Hershey site, but if the nutritional information is correct on a dieting website I found, then all things considered, the only big difference between a Hershey bar and a Diary Milk Bar is the amount of salt.  Hershey's has more. 

The rest is basically the same in terms of amounts, sugar wise, fat content wise etc. 

Now, of course they use different types of fat and Hershey scalds the milk, which accounts for a sweeter taste, but Hershey does not use a crazy amount more sugar, in fact it uses slightly less (56.7 grams of sugar in DM per 100 gram bar compared to 53 grams of sugar in 105gram bar of Hersheys). 

So the general compostion of the bars are the same, but of course the actual fat or whatever they use is different. 

But of course they aren't making Dairy Milk for me, nor is Hershey making chocolate for you.  They are making it for whatever sells the best in whatever country they are selling it in.  So Cardbury's is different in every country in the world, unless you want to pay import prices. 

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 10:31:28 AM »
I might be the only person on this board, but in general cheap cr@p chocolate, be it Hershey's or Dairy Milk tastes like cheap cr@p chocolate.  

No, you're not the only one.

Kraft probably has an idea about regional tastes and probably won't touch the formula.

The rest is basically the same in terms of amounts, sugar wise, fat content wise etc.  

Now, of course they use different types of fat and Hershey scalds the milk, which accounts for a sweeter taste, but Hershey does not use a crazy amount more sugar, in fact it uses slightly less (56.7 grams of sugar in DM per 100 gram bar compared to 53 grams of sugar in 105gram bar of Hersheys).  

That's interesting because I always thought regular corner store British chocolate was sweeter than the equivalent American chocolate.  However, my tastes have changed a lot, so I might be more sensitive.  For instance, last week we bought some Kinder bars (not British or American of course) and I was nearly knocked over by the sweetness.  Sort of makes me a bit queasy thinking about it.  :P
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:38:37 AM by Legs Akimbo »

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 10:55:24 AM »
Cardbury's

LOL Was that intentional?

Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
I just too excited sometimes for my own good!   ;)

They arren't going to mess with what works well in whatever country.

Austrailia really seems to like the creaminess, which is what I think gives me heartburn.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 04:41:44 PM »
Go away Kraft, leave Cadbury's alone! :P

I use to buy a product called 'Postum'. It was a substitute for coffee. Anyhow Kraft bought the company and then discontinued to manufacture and sell it. "Bummer"

Re: US/UK. US Giant maakes a hostile offer for British Chocolate Maker
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »
Hersheys, to me, has a faint aftertaste of vomit.  I have no idea why!

I, too, think that Hershey's leaves a taste of vomit in the mouth.

US Cadbury's is made under license by Hershey's, which presumably explains the taste difference. You can get "real" Cadbury's chocolate in the US if you look hard enough. Oddly, it's usually product made in the UK for the Arabic market, complete with arabic text on the wrapper. Cost Plus usually has a good selection, as well as British specialty stores and middle eastern/Indian stores that import the stuff.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
The Quaker families (Cadbury, Rowntree and Fry) should never have sold out their interests in chocolate (nor the Barclays in banking)
I remember when my grandma took me in to the Exeter Street Theatre in Boston to see the film of the Queen's coronation (yes, over half a century ago!) and she bought me a Fry's chocolate bar. Bliss!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 05:39:14 PM »
I, too, think that Hershey's leaves a taste of vomit in the mouth.

US Cadbury's is made under license by Hershey's, which presumably explains the taste difference. You can get "real" Cadbury's chocolate in the US if you look hard enough. Oddly, it's usually product made in the UK for the Arabic market, complete with arabic text on the wrapper. Cost Plus usually has a good selection, as well as British specialty stores and middle eastern/Indian stores that import the stuff.

Cadbury's has a different formula for almost every country in the world.  They do taste tests and sell whatever markets the best for that country.  That explains the taste difference.  That and the need for a chocolate that wouldn't melt in five seconds in a place like Texas.   ;)

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 09:40:43 PM »
That's one taste test I've never done. Yet. It'd be intersting to know what the differences are, ingredients, manufacturing or both?

When ya say marked, is it a good marked or eww this is not Cadburys sort? I know everyone will have differing opinions but just curious.

Thanks Legs A. Odd that the the Canadian is yet again different.

I'm not a big fan of the run of the mill chocolate bars US or UK but I really like Hershey's and again I really like good strong chocolate - 70/80% continental type chocolate. By no means am I a chocolate snob. Put a 39p bag of Somerfield white ''chocolate'' mice in front of me and yea I'd scarf the lot. Primarily, does it have sugar? Yes? Thank ya ma'am, that'll do nicely.

When I say marked, I guess I mean I taste Cadbury's made in the US and go "whoa, that is not the Cadbury's I'm used to..."

It has a definite Hershey's aftertaste to it, my husband and I have both found.
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »
US chocolate is manky, including US Cadbury's.

I sent my husband some Hershey's Kisses in the post once when we were still dating long distance, and he told me sadly that by the time the candy got to him it had "gone off".

Years later, he had a Hershey's Kiss in the US in front of me, and he remarked how odd it was that he was always getting candy that had gone off. And then I realized he was just not used to the taste! I said no, that's just how Hershey's tastes! Ha!
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 12:07:45 AM »
OK after reading here it prompted me to go out and buy a Symphony bar to see if there was difference. None noted yet.

On the take over...It appears from the CEO? of Cadbury that it is all down to money for the stockholders. It was noted that the vast majority of the stockholders are foreigners.

Anyway I'm on the way to becoming a former Cad' customer. The stockholders have their money and I'll have mine. ;D

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 08:34:51 AM »
Why would a Symphony bar taste different? They are made by Hershey.

ETA: That's interesting to learn about Postum.  I used to drink that stuff when I couldn't get Inka.  If you're still in the States, you can get Roastaroma Tea, which I liked better than Postum or Inka.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:43:07 AM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
Why would a Symphony bar taste different? They are made by Hershey.
I read on here a few days ago that it was different from the usual Hershey bar so I had to try it. I didn't see a difference.

ETA: That's interesting to learn about Postum. 
You can google Postum and it will give some more info including if you had a bottle laying around you could get $200 plus for it on E-bay. (If I remember correctly)

Sponsored Links