Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Re: Abortion /Morning After Pill Information (UK)  (Read 10201 times)

Re: Abortion /Morning After Pill Information (UK)
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:15:47 PM »
Abortions are available on the NHS and through private clinics in the UK.  If going through the NHS the first stop would be through your GP or a Family Planning Clinic. They will then refer you on. It is also available through private clinics.  Please have a look through the following links for more information.

There is information here: http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/. But it is do-able through the NHS.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/emergency-contraception/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Also, the morning after pill/emergency contraception is available by perscription and over the counter at some pharmacies.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/emergency-contraception/Pages/Introduction.aspx
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:21:44 AM by Mindy »

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »
Most people start at their GP surgery if they are seeking this service on the NHS (I have not had to, thankfully, but know some women who have).  The GP can then refer them to the appropriate resource.

If a women is not in a position to do this, then a Family Planning or Sexual Health Clinic can help.

Privately, Marie Stopes or BPAS have a number of clinics in the UK who provide termination of pregnancy services.

HTH.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:30:36 AM by Mindy »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:24:46 AM »
I don't know what the process is if you go through a GP, but when my flatmate had a termination, she wasn't registered with a GP and just went directly to Marie Stopes. It cost a lot of money but she was able to have the procedure within a few days, whereas she would have had to wait weeks going through the NHS. This is just her experience though, I don't know how long it would normally take to arrange things on the NHS, but just to say there is the private option if the funds are available.

She said the people at MS were really nice, she had no complaints. From talking to women here, it sounds like abortion is treated much more matter of factly than back in the US. You can have an abortion for whatever reason, well into the second trimester. There are also a lot of counseling and support services available.

(PM me if more details on Marie Stopes would be helpful...)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 12:45:46 AM »
 I thought I'd mention it just in case someone happens to come across this thread at a later date looking for similar information; in Northern Ireland a woman can only get an abortion if there is a risk to health.  For women in NI, they would have to travel to mainland UK if they choose to terminate the pregnancy, and it's not covered by the NHS.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:22:51 AM by Mindy »
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:33:31 PM »
The quickest way to get the morning after pill can be from your nearest A&E. Call them in advance to see if they have any available and if they do, they will give it to you for free even accompanied by anti-emetics if you are worried about nausea.

There are are often considerable waiting times, so it can be quicker/easier to go to a pharmacy. But A&E will provide free healthcare to anyone at any hour (the only cost is spending time in the waiting room!).

The morning after pill works up to 72 hours after an accident, but the sooner you take it the more effective it is. If you can pay and it's working hours it's probably best to go to a pharmacy, but A&E is also an option even if it's the middle of the night.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
The quickest way to get the morning after pill can be from your nearest A&E.

Since this was posted, the law has been changed and it's now available from many pharmacies.

It's also worth pointing out that the cheapest reliable form of birth control is the Mirena coil. It costs a bit up front but it lasts 5 years and the failure rate is lower than that of sterilisation. It also saves you money on sanitary protection since your periods will either stop for five years or be reduced to a bit of spotting that can be dealt with by using panty-liners (dirt cheap if you buy them in bulk).

Sponsored Links