Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Icy Walkways!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR...  (Read 3129 times)

Re: Icy Walkways!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR...
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
Yeah! But you live in WI! You're used to it! :P I, on the other hand, am a snow wuss despite loving to play in it!

I'll never get used to ice.  I have the coordination/balance of an elephant on rollerskates!

#

You're supposed to get up early in the morning and start shoveling before the snow turns to ice.

In New York, people would start shoveling as soon as the first few flakes hit the ground. They didn't wait until the sidewalk became impassable - if they did, they would be fined.

I've lived in the midwest for over eleven years - I'm aware of what I'm "supposed" to do when it snows.  And, just as it happens here, I'm sure some people in New York don't get a chance to clear their walkways the second the first snow hits the ground.  Much like New York, snow doesn't need to be cleared immediately here.  There is plenty of time for ice to build up (i.e. while someone is at work or sleeping) before one has to worry about a fine.

Icy sidewalks happen everywhere, even New York.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
Icy sidewalks happen everywhere...

They seldom happen in south Florida!  ;) :-*
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 05:46:51 PM »
They seldom happen in south Florida!  ;) :-*

"Seldom" being the key word! ;D ;)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
I'll never get used to ice.  I have the coordination/balance of an elephant on rollerskates!

I've lived in the midwest for over eleven years - I'm aware of what I'm "supposed" to do when it snows.  And, just as it happens here, I'm sure some people in New York don't get a chance to clear their walkways the second the first snow hits the ground.  Much like New York, snow doesn't need to be cleared immediately here.  There is plenty of time for ice to build up (i.e. while someone is at work or sleeping) before one has to worry about a fine.

Icy sidewalks happen everywhere, even New York.

Yes, there are icy patches here and there, but there usually aren't entire streets (or networks of streets) that are covered with ice from one end to other.

Today, I had to walk to my doctors' surgery and had to walk on ice the entire way. Now admittedly, the surgery is pretty close to my house, but if any place should have a clear path in front of it, I'd think it would be a surgery.

In New York City, people shovel as soon as they can, whatever time of day that is.

Yes, the law doesn't say that you have to shovel snow as soon as it starts to fall - but people do it because they know that it's easier to shovel snow when it's fresh than after it's accumulated and turned to ice.

My ex used to work for the New York City Department of Sidewalks (part of the Department of Transportation), the department that fines people who don't shovel their walks.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 06:38:17 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »

In New York, people would start shoveling as soon as the first few flakes hit the ground. They didn't wait until the sidewalk became impassable - if they did, they would be fined.

But what would be the point of shovelling as soon as it starts snowing.  You'd just have to go out again and again.  It would make more sense to wait for it to slow down and then go out and shovel all at once. 

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »
But what would be the point of shovelling as soon as it starts snowing.  You'd just have to go out again and again.  It would make more sense to wait for it to slow down and then go out and shovel all at once. 

Six years in Canada and 22 years in New England - I can't recall ever shoveling as soon as it started snowing.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »
Six years in Canada and 22 years in New England - I can't recall ever shoveling as soon as it started snowing.

I can't remember.  I've totally blocked all snow related knowledge out of my memory banks.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 08:30:19 PM »
We generally go out and shovel a bit when snow is coming down, just to make it easier at the end. But out in the boonies where we are we are not expected to shovel the sidewalk (although many mad keen snow blower owners do so). The town will send out a sidewalk plow to clear the sidewalk (which happens to be on our side). Sometimes this results in more treacherous walking, as when it melts and refreezes.  If they had left it as crusty snow you could manage to walk on it. I end up walking in the street many times. Have had to purchase Yak Trax and finally Neos overshoes (which have studs in the bottom) to walk to the bus safely. (Not to mention the Day-Glo yellow vest for early morning treks  ;))
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 08:47:38 PM »
I can't remember.  I've totally blocked all snow related knowledge out of my memory banks.

It's best that way.

Reading this thread, I'm just so happy to be living in SW Cornwall where it's very rare to get any frozen stuff at all. We've had nothing this week - a few light flakes came down for a minute or two on Friday night, that's it. No ice. No nothing. And I'm so very grateful.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »
I deal with a lot of slip and trip claims at work, mostly by postmen who slip for whatever reason but we always get an influx of claims after the first snow for postmen who slip on ice. It's made me super paranoid about getting salt down.

And I hate that the council hasn't put down grit on parts that need it most. Outside Leeds County Court is one of the worst bits and I have to walk on it. I'm really scared about falling and hurting the girls. I've got all winter to look forward to this!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 01:31:41 PM »
I am shocked here in Chatham. The Medway Council has actually gritted the walkways down our part of High Street! Something I have never seen them do in all the years of living here! Nice surprise!

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
I just have to put my two cents in now.  I have been complaining about the sidewalks to anyone that will listen for two weeks and I am fuming over it.  I don't understand it at all.  We have about 6 inches of snow on the walks that has been packed down from people walking on it so now it is like 6 inches of ice.  If someone puts grit on that what is it going to do?  It's not gonna melt six inches of ice!  Shovel the walks clear and then salt the walks to keep them ice free.  I have been so tempted to shovel a path to the bus stop for myself but I think we are getting a thaw this weekend and besides, it's about half a mile to the bus stop. 

Additionally I have to complain that there is no place to buy any winter boots for less than 50 quid.  I don't count Ugg-things as winter boots because they aren't exactly waterproof! 

That's my complaint for the month!  Next winter I will be prepared: I will bring boots from the US and buy a fricken snowblower (not really, but it's a nice thought).
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL
27 Oct 2006 - Married in US
23 Sep 2009 - Spouse and dependent visas issued
30 Sep 2009 - Arrived in the UK!
20 Oct 2011 - Sent ILR application
12 Jan 2012 - Discretionary Limited Leave to Remain issued

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »
Oh, and one more thing, someone said the Council is responsible if you fall and hurt yourself on the snowy walk?  I can't believe the councils are paying for the 70% rise in fractures and breaks that I read about. 
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL
27 Oct 2006 - Married in US
23 Sep 2009 - Spouse and dependent visas issued
30 Sep 2009 - Arrived in the UK!
20 Oct 2011 - Sent ILR application
12 Jan 2012 - Discretionary Limited Leave to Remain issued

• Liked: 19
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 01:20:47 PM »

:D  One of my major goals in life is to be able to say that one day!

The islands haven't been getting it nearly as badly as the rest of Scotland, but they've still had more snow and ice than bf can remember having had in ages.  The other day, he slipped on the ice and broke a tooth. :(

I told him that if this is the start of another mini-Ice Age or something, and we end up having to buy a snowblower...we're moving to Spain.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »
I just have to put my two cents in now.  I have been complaining about the sidewalks to anyone that will listen for two weeks and I am fuming over it.  I don't understand it at all.  We have about 6 inches of snow on the walks that has been packed down from people walking on it so now it is like 6 inches of ice.  If someone puts grit on that what is it going to do?  It's not gonna melt six inches of ice!  Shovel the walks clear and then salt the walks to keep them ice free.  I have been so tempted to shovel a path to the bus stop for myself but I think we are getting a thaw this weekend and besides, it's about half a mile to the bus stop.  

Yes.  I don't understand all the talk about grit. Grit/salt can only do so much. You have to get up off your backside and shovel.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:04:25 PM by sweetpeach »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab