Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Icy Walkways!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR...  (Read 3127 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Icy Walkways!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR...
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2010, 03:36:46 PM »
Yes.  I don't understand all the talk about grit. Grit/salt can only do so much. You have to get up off your backside and shovel.

I don't own a shovel..haven't had the need for one over here.until this year! I do use a push broom to clear all the snow and ice I can. I do use salt to clear our walkway and stairs. Not to many people shovel or clear their walkways here. I have seen one or two people shovel and salting. The Medway Council did grit the part of High Street where I live..but that is it. In most neighborhoods the streets and walkways are icy and snow packed. Walking on the walkways is a joke..I walk in the street! I have snow boots..but its not easy walking. There was a postman who fell yesterday and broke his leg. Not good weather for them!! There just aren't many people here who think they should have to shovel or grit their walkways! Think shoveling or salting your walkways here will get you into more trouble then sitting on your backside and doing nothing!!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
In the "olden days" high school kids used to go around and offer to shovel people out (for a fee of course). Since the advent of mega snow-blowers I guess that tradition has fallen by the wayside. But there was a news item on TV the other day about some middle-aged guy going around and shoveling out old ladies  -- and then going back to break in and steal their valuables!!   :o
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »
I'm lucky in that my neighbour is quite the gentleman. He clears my (small) pathway for me AND several other neighbours. Plus he clears the public walkway to our cars.  ;D

He also mows my grass..
Met in person - 07/10/06
Began dating - 15/04/07
Married - 17/08/09
Arrived in St Andrews with cat and husband: 13/09/09

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »
I'm lucky in that my neighbour is quite the gentleman. He clears my (small) pathway for me AND several other neighbours. Plus he clears the public walkway to our cars.  ;D

He also mows my grass..

Wow, usually you hear about the neighbour from hell, not from heaven!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 07:21:07 PM »
Wow, usually you hear about the neighbour from hell, not from heaven!

He's a gem. He also taught my husband the "correct" way to wash a car.. He said Iain was doing it wrong and proceeded to teach him the right way. It was so cute to have this 70 year old man bestowing his wisdom. I really love the guy to death, will miss having his company!
Met in person - 07/10/06
Began dating - 15/04/07
Married - 17/08/09
Arrived in St Andrews with cat and husband: 13/09/09

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab