Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Cooking  (Read 4873 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Re: British Cooking
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »
Actually, some organic food producers have questionable labor practices.

It costs more to produce organic food than to produce food using pesticides, growth hormones, etc. The money is sometimes recouped through the labor force.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »
Actually, some organic food producers have questionable labor practices.

It costs more to produce organic food than to produce food using pesticides, growth hormones, etc. The money is sometimes recouped through the labor force.

And if organic fruit/veg are imported, their environmental impact is likely to be bigger than that of locally grown non-organic.
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
And if organic fruit/veg are imported, their environmental impact is likely to be bigger than that of locally grown non-organic.

I get a lot of veg from my FIL's allotment, and from his friends. He trades different veg with other gardeners there. Now that's local and organic, baby!  ;D

« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »
I get a lot of veg from my FIL's allotment, and from his friends. He trades different veg with other gardeners there. Now that's local and organic, baby!  ;D

Absolutely! Our local greengrocer often has boxes of stuff from very local growers, so I would rather buy that than organic that's travelled half way up the country.
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
Mainly in the south but this chain does great pasties and pies - cool website too!

http://www.westcornwallpasty.co.uk/

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »

I agree! I much prefer to buy local ... if it's also organic, then that's a plus, but it's usually not. The rules concerning organic produce are so ridiculous that even locally-grown stuff often gets shipped all over the place for packaging before it comes back to the UK to be sold as organic. It makes no sense.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 847
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »
I agree! I much prefer to buy local ... if it's also organic, then that's a plus, but it's usually not. The rules concerning organic produce are so ridiculous that even locally-grown stuff often gets shipped all over the place for packaging before it comes back to the UK to be sold as organic. It makes no sense.

Add me into that. I love buying local and even better, supporting local farmers.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »

Hmmm... well, I guess it might not be organic. I'm not sure if my FIL uses pesticides or not. But it is fresh and very local, and best of all, FREE!

• Snaps
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2010, 11:09:09 AM »
and best of all, FREE!

You can't beat that!  :D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2010, 11:11:29 AM »
Absolutely! Our local greengrocer often has boxes of stuff from very local growers, so I would rather buy that than organic that's travelled half way up the country.

You are lucky! Where we are, there is a greengrocer in the market 3 days a week but although there are loads of farms in the area, most of their stuff seems to come from overseas.

• Snaps
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2010, 11:38:55 AM »
You are lucky! Where we are, there is a greengrocer in the market 3 days a week but although there are loads of farms in the area, most of their stuff seems to come from overseas.

Have you checked www.farmshop.uk.com to see what's near you?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2010, 12:11:42 PM »
According to that, nothing that's easily walkable or on public transport route. We have a monthly farmer's market in the town centre but it's on a Sunday and guess what? No bus on a Sunday! I can walk it easily but it's a long walk for Mr 5 year old.

• Snaps
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »
According to that, nothing that's easily walkable or on public transport route. We have a monthly farmer's market in the town centre but it's on a Sunday and guess what? No bus on a Sunday! I can walk it easily but it's a long walk for Mr 5 year old.

How ridiculous that there's no bus on market Sunday!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »
Have you checked www.farmshop.uk.com to see what's near you?

Oooooh, I never knew there was a farmers market in Headingley. Must go check it out now! Thanks Chary!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2010, 03:28:39 PM »
I'm not crazy about British food. It's not terrible, but as a whole is so much blander and more indifferently prepared than in many other countries. I've had some very good food in Scotland and smaller English cities but here in London they will just shovel anything at you. However, in the supermarkets even at a low budget you can get excellent, tasty cheese, interesting sausage and reasonably priced shellfish. I also like that at Morrison's and other run-of-the-mill supermarkets you can buy fresh bread that while not as good as what is on offer in continental Europe is better than mass-produced American supermarket bread. I also love English mustard and have a weird thing for scotch eggs and battered sausage, maybe because they're so cheap!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab