Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Cooking  (Read 4883 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: British Cooking
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »
I looked up some recipes, and it sounds as if the 'authentic' stuff always has ham or bacon in it. Would it be too bland without that? I don't eat four-legged beasts, so I'd have to leave that out.  :-\\\\

No, it doesn't need to have ham or bacon in it. My FIL often makes it without, and it is still very tasty. I believe the ones sold in the supermarkets are vegetarian, as well. He's old school, and probably remembers a time when they couldn't afford to add meat to it. I think he just makes it with ham if they have some left over from something else.

It's sort of like English "bean dip" only with yellow peas instead of pinto beans. It's kind of bland, in a way, but nice, with a mild taste of peas. I've never tried this but I bet it would be nice in a wrap with some veggies. Hmmm. I think I will have to do that next time FIL brings some over! I look at it as sort of a healthier spread for a sandwich rather than mayo or other condiments - it's naturally fat free if you make it the vegetarian way, I believe.

Oh, and mince and dumplings is another English dish I love. English style dumplings are scrummy!

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »
It's sort of like English "bean dip" only with yellow peas instead of pinto beans. It's kind of bland, in a way, but nice, with a mild taste of peas.

I'm so going to try making this - sounds yummy!!

I'm struggling to think of things that I make here that I didn't make in the US. Yorkshire puddings definitely I'd find it hard to live without, and along the same lines, Toad in the Hole. I roast things a lot more - chicken, etc. and potatoes.

I was vegan for years and years in the US and to be honest I'm not sure I understand why it would be more difficult here than there? If you eat seasonally you can get most fruit and veg, and there's plenty of tofu, seitan, etc. around....

Oh, and black beans do exist - but in some areas they may be easier to find than others. I buy them in both Waitrose and Sainsburys....  :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »
I can't think of any British main dishes.... :-\\\\  I don't like sausages, fish and chips, or roast dinners...we only eat them if other half asks... There must be something though!! Nothing is dinging..

Sticky toffee pudding, the delia smith recipe, is one I like to do. And her chocolate bread and butter pudding.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »
Blech!!!

I very rarely eat beans on toast (I'm not a major fan), but when I do, I try to eat it all before the toast goes soggy :P! Despite not having it very often, I did miss it when I was in the US in 2008... I managed to find some Heinz Beans in an international food store, so I had beans on toast one evening... lovely :)!

• Live every week like it's Shark Week.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »
 Actually, I'm not a fan of the sogginess, either.

I eat beans WITH toast. Just put the beans on the part you are about to eat, chow down, repeat as needed:)
Here we go:

17 AUG 2009- Applied online
20 AUG 2009- Biometrics
24 Aug- Sent everything to expediter
26 Aug-Application taken to consulate
26 Aug-Fiancee visas approved!!!
 2 Sep-Moved to UK!

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »
Like yellow squash...I used to bake it, fry it, make casseroles from it...it was def a dietary staple of mine. I can't find it anywhere now!

Dangerface, hopefully you've been finding substitutes for your yellow squash.  How about courgette?  I dont find any difference at all in the taste or texture ... after all, it's the same beast, just a different colour!  All the things you used to do with yellow squash, you can do with courgette.   :)

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 10:20:11 PM »
I love making savoury pies - chicken and ham, steak pie, steak and ale pie, mince pie, etc.

I'd never made those or pasties before, but they're so much fun to make!

I enjoy Scottish cooking and, especially, Scottish and Northern English baking - parkins, oatcakes, tattie scones, flapjacks, etc.

And curries.  I had no idea, that was a whole new world.

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »

I enjoy Scottish cooking and, especially, Scottish and Northern English baking - parkins, oatcakes, tattie scones, flapjacks, etc.

And curries.  I had no idea, that was a whole new world.

OMG
Flapjacks, especially my MIL's flapjacks, are amazing.  So buttery and chewy and...yum.  We have now just started requesting a care package of flapjacks and wine instead of birthday/holiday/thank you gifts. Also, of course, the curries.  We have some excellent ones in Manchester and a number of middle eastern/african restaurants that are fun as well.

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 01:09:29 AM »
Steak and kidney pudding - the ultimate comfort food for me!  :P
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 0
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »
I have to admit, I've been pretty lucky with the food here, on the whole. MiL does tend to over cook the roast on Wednesday nights, and it's always dry in the middle, but, dipping it into the gravy helps it go down easier. :)

I haven't been able to eat curry yet, because the family-including DH-doesn't think much of curry, and therefore, it's not included on our "weekly menu list". They don't like the smell(I think the the smells are lovely! Once I earn my own money and want to treat myself, I will indulge in the occasional curry.)

In any case, here's a list of my current favourites:

Ginster's pasties. They're from Cornwall, and there's always a bit of ground pepper at the end to make my taste buds wake up again.

M&S steak pies and steak and kidney pies.

Roast and Yorkshire pudding.

Oat cakes

M&S beef sausages.

Linda McCartney sausages

Gammon(just wish it wasn't over cooked)

Non-streaky bacon(just wish it wasn't over cooked)

Mince pies

Christmas cake

Christmas pudding

Bilberry flan

Apple crumble

Devon cream

Ideally, there'd be a little bit of salt-MiL doesn't use any, because it's bad for you(her words), but, the food always tastes just a bit...flat, somehow. And just a tiny bit more sugar, just so you know that a dessert is supposed to be sweet. :)
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
Ginster's pasties. They're from Cornwall, and there's always a bit of ground pepper at the end to make my taste buds wake up again.

Abbygirl, please try a real pasty! Ginster's are petrol station pasties!!  :-X
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
Actually, I'm not a fan of the sogginess, either.

I eat beans WITH toast. Just put the beans on the part you are about to eat, chow down, repeat as needed:)

Or you could do what I did as a child - beans in a bowl, toast on a plate. Dip toast into beans, scoop and eat. Delcious, and your toast stays crunchy  :D.

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »
Or you could do what I did as a child - beans in a bowl, toast on a plate. Dip toast into beans, scoop and eat. Delcious, and your toast stays crunchy  :D.
This is what I do, too.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2010, 04:46:29 PM »
Abbygirl, please try a real pasty! Ginster's are petrol station pasties!!  :-X

OMG! <giggle> I didn't have any idea at all! <giggle> I shall have a proper pasty, once I have my own money to spend. I sort of have to eat what I'm given at this point, as they buy and cook all of the food. That's one of the other things to eat, along with curries, once I have my own cash. That's hilarious, there's me thinking they're the greatest thing ever as well! <belly laugh> Which can you recommend, or is it "just not ginster's?"
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

Sponsored Links