Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Cooking  (Read 4882 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: British Cooking
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »
Which can you recommend, or is it "just not ginster's?"

In the absence of homemade pasties, yep - "just not Ginster's"!  ;D

I don't know what there is around you, but here in Corwnall there are some really good independent pasty shops.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2010, 05:41:53 PM »
Abbygirl, please try a real pasty! Ginster's are petrol station pasties!!  :-X

yes, they are the boak!

what you throw down your throat when you're hungover or drunk and there's nowt open but a petrol garage.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »
Steak and Ale Pie

Cornish Pasties

Toad in the Hole

Like someone else said: The abundance of CURRY! You can't get a good curry in Pittsburgh.

Sausage Rolls
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2010, 05:49:51 PM »
In the absence of homemade pasties, yep - "just not Ginster's"!  ;D

I don't know what there is around you, but here in Corwnall there are some really good independent pasty shops.

Yes... There are...

I haven't been down there in like, 2 years. I'm overdue for a trip!
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »

Yes... There are...

I haven't been down there in like, 2 years. I'm overdue for a trip!
I am due for a trip too!  I soooooo want to get back to the West Penwith area and it's been years for me.  The first time I ever had a pasty was at a little place in the very picturesque village of Mousehole.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Snaps
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2010, 05:56:04 PM »
I am due for a trip too!  I soooooo want to get back to the West Penwith area and it's been years for me.  The first time I ever had a pasty was at a little place in the very picturesque village of Mousehole.

Mousehole is great!

If either of you comes down here, let me know!  :D

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
Mousehole is great!

If either of you comes down here, let me know!  :D

Definitely. :)

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
I actually prefer the curries that we had in Houston (Gourmet India, off of Westheimer).   :-\\\\
I do enjoy sausages from the butcher.  
Bread is nicer here, as is cheese.  

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »
I actually prefer the curries that we had in Houston (Gourmet India, off of Westheimer).   :-\\\\
I do enjoy sausages from the butcher.  
Bread is nicer here, as is cheese.  

We had much nicer bread in Pgh.  :-\\\\  My family had a small italian store where they baked their own italian bread. There was a much wider selection and a lot more independent bread bakers. I miss that!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
Steak and Ale Pie

Cornish Pasties

Toad in the Hole

Like someone else said: The abundance of CURRY! You can't get a good curry in Pittsburgh.

Sausage Rolls

Not much for a non meat-eater, with the possible exception of the curry.

Something I have noticed about my British (MIL's) cooking is that she never serves fruit and that she will only serve vegetables if they are mixed in with meat - in a stew or in curry - but since I have known her she has never served a vegetable dish on its own, not even a plain green salad. I think the only time I have ever had fruit at her house was when she mashed bananas into a pudding.

As I said earlier, I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat red meat very often. I mostly eat fish, chicken and vegetarian meals.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:42:06 PM by sweetpeach »

• Snaps
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
As I said earlier, I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat red meat very often. I mostly eat fish, chicken and vegetarian meals.

I eat chicken and fish, but haven't had red meat for over 30 years. However, I find there are a lot more non-meaty options when eating out in the UK than in the US. Maybe I've just been lucky.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »

Something I have noticed about my British (MIL's) cooking is that she never serves fruit and that she will only serve vegetables if they are mixed in with meat - in a stew or in curry - but since I have known her she has never served a vegetable dish on its own, not even a plain green salad. I think the only time I have ever had fruit at her house was when she mashed bananas into a pudding.

Maybe she doesn't like veg which is why she doesn't think to make it. All of the Brits who ever cooked for me would make veg with their meals, be it a cooked veg or salad.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2010, 06:50:57 PM »
Maybe she doesn't like veg which is why she doesn't think to make it. All of the Brits who ever cooked for me would make veg with their meals, be it a cooked veg or salad.

You're probably right.

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2010, 07:12:37 PM »

I'm up in the Northwest. I wouldn't know of any good pasty shops, to be honest. I know that there's a pasty shop next to Chester Cathedral, but, off hand, that's all I can think of. Would they be served in pubs?
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Snaps
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »

I'm up in the Northwest. I wouldn't know of any good pasty shops, to be honest. I know that there's a pasty shop next to Chester Cathedral, but, off hand, that's all I can think of. Would they be served in pubs?

Pub ones would mostly likely be frozen and microwaved ... but not always. If you don't have a good pasty shop, just make your own!  :)

Sponsored Links