Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things that should be banned  (Read 3840 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Things that should be banned
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 04:37:52 PM »
Just curious, how do y'all feel about eating animals or raising animals for meat?

Well I am a meat lover....I know I know save only the cute animals ;-) (yes I am being cheeky)

I don't eat rabbit or lamb or venison - I think chicken, pork and beef is all I can do and that is part of the circle of life.  Dogs/cats were not part of this circle to be eaten they were brought as pets or security or even as god figures back in the day.

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
The law in the UK does allow this. A quick Google for "banned from owning animals" will show you stories like the guy from Loughborough who was given a 12 week prison sentence (suspended because he admitted the offence), ordered to pay £500 court costs, and banned from owning animals for life.

That's great, a pity we cannot have a similar law for people who abuse children. I know in some cases, social  services will step in and remove newborn babies in situations where the parents have been abusive or neglectful with their older children but there's no blanket ban.  Obviously it would be a breach of a person's basic human rights to castrate them but it seems incongruous that in a sense we protect animals more than we protect humans in this country. 

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »
Just curious, how do y'all feel about eating animals or raising animals for meat?

It's a tough one for me. I was vegan for many many years but found in the end it just didn't work for me (I lost an absolute ton of weight and looking back on pictures, I didn't look healthy) and once I moved in with DH who is a big meat eater, I started eating meat again. I do try as best I can to buy free range and humanely reared meat/eggs/etc. and I would never buy things like veal, etc.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »

Very tricky question. I don't feel great about eating animals, so I try not to think about it.

I don't eat red meat, but that's only because I don't like the taste or texture of it - not for animal cruelty reasons or health reasons. I've tried being a vegetarian and being a vegan and I didn't get on well with either lifestyle, so I'll just keep eating chicken and fish and blocking it all out of my mind.  :-\\\\
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »
That's great, a pity we cannot have a similar law for people who abuse children. I know in some cases, social  services will step in and remove newborn babies in situations where the parents have been abusive or neglectful with their older children but there's no blanket ban.  Obviously it would be a breach of a person's basic human rights to castrate them but it seems incongruous that in a sense we protect animals more than we protect humans in this country. 

In the US the child protection laws were actually based on laws concerning animal rights. There was a time when animals had more rights than children!
Met in person - 07/10/06
Began dating - 15/04/07
Married - 17/08/09
Arrived in St Andrews with cat and husband: 13/09/09

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 01:33:58 PM »

I am currently a pescatarian (really light on the fish and getting lighter on the dairy) for reasons other than animal cruelty, but I don't object to humane, sustainable meat production.  Humans didn't invent death, and I don't think eating meat in itself is inherently evil or cruel.  I think that food production and consumption can be cruel to both humans and animals, regardless if it is vegetable based or not. Of course, there is more of a chance meat production will be inhumane to animals simply because it directly involves them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:38:43 PM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 01:45:36 PM »
I won't eat veal or foie gras because of the methods used in producing them; I won't eat duck because they are cute. In France I saw some donkey sausages from Corsica, and was left in no doubt about the hard time I would suffer if I bought one.

• taking over birmingham one by one...
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
keanu reeves should be banned.
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

• Liked: 3
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »
Umbrellas - or make them without pointy bits that people try to poke your eye out with!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 3
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 01:59:06 PM »
Let's not turn this into a nitpick the forum session, shall we? Most forums I'm on now censor bad language. Unfortunately, the programming isn't smart enough to recognize a correct, appropriate usage. There's another exampe of this that is even stupider than what Tremula mentions, but it's escaping me at the moment.

x-posted with Shabanou

Let me try one - Scunthorpe!

update - it doesn't censor it!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »
It doesn't censor the c word on its own.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:30:48 PM by Trémula »

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
people who wear their pajamas in public,especially in town centre

People like that should really have their heads checked

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
People in the UK wear pyjamas in public?  I am used to it in the States, but I'd be a bit shocked to see it here.

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
I used to have a lovely pair of satin pyjama pants I used to wear as trousers all the time. So there!  :P

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
I used to wear them out in the States, but I got to realise that they are nicer/more symbolic if I just wear them at home.  I wear pjs almost exclusively when I am in the house.  I've had some odd looks from inlaws and others who have seen me, but it's a habit that even my husband has adopted.  It keeps our "outdoor clothes" nicer as well, and gives a sort of air of relaxation to being in our house.

Things that should be banned: (In a very non serious definition of banned) Glenn Beck

Sponsored Links