Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mexican??  (Read 2421 times)

• Liked: 0
Mexican??
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:13:13 AM »
I'm just curious! Are there any Mexican restaurants in the UK? Refried beans? Tortillas?

I think I'll miss this the most  :(

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Mexican??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:49:43 AM »
Scroll through the Food Talk board and you'll find LOTS of threads on this.  The short answer is yes, the UK has Mexican restaurants, but the majority of them are disappointing at best, horrifying at worst.  If you're outside of London, your best bet is probably to make your own. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:51:51 AM »
There are quite a few Mexican restaurants around in the UK, but like historyenne said, they basically taste nothing like real Mexican food.

If, like me, you grew up in the UK and had never eaten real Mexican before, you might like them, but it seems the food just doesn't compare to Mexican in the US. I lived in New Mexico for 18 months and I really liked the Mexican and New Mexican food there, but I also like the 'Mexican' food in the UK... even if they don't taste anything alike in comparison :P.

Refried beans? Tortillas?

I haven't eaten real refried beans since I spent a month in Guatemala in 2007 and I don't think I've ever seen corn tortillas in the UK (usually they're all flour tortillas).

Note: I would stay clear of Marks and Spencers' so-called 'enchiladas' though... I bought some a few months ago and they tasted nothing like any enchilada I'd ever eaten. They contained chicken strips, a creamy Cajun-flavoured sauce (???) and no spiciness at all!! I could only eat half of one before I gave up and threw the rest away.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:18:39 AM »
Old El Paso is available here. They have taco kits, corn tortillas, refried beans, etc. It will do in a pinch. But be aware that the taco seasoning in these packages isn't quite right. I prefer to make my own and just buy the taco shells. The salsa here isn't very good. It would be better to make your own.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:53:25 AM »
You can buy all the ingredients you need (even corn tortillas!) online from mexgrocer.co.uk  or Lupe Pintos (which also has actual shops in Edinburgh & Glasgow).  In most large supermarkets you will find a Mexican section but probably not the kind of stuff you want.  Canned and dried pinto & black beans are now widely available though.

• Jewlz

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »
Canned and dried pinto & black beans are now widely available though.

Sadly, not widely available enough.  >:( They had dried black beans for a while (no canned, and no pintos of any kind) in our local Sainsburys, but they have stopped carrying them (I bought the last bag for 20p!) along with the Amy's organic frozen enchiladas and burritos, which I really miss.  :\\\'(

• Britannicaine
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »
Sadly, not widely available enough.  >:( They had dried black beans for a while (no canned, and no pintos of any kind) in our local Sainsburys, but they have stopped carrying them (I bought the last bag for 20p!) along with the Amy's organic frozen enchiladas and burritos, which I really miss.  :\\\'(

Holland and Barrett carry Amy's frozen foods.  I shrieked out loud and did a dance of joy when I saw the mac and cheese....I'm sure I've seen the enchiladas there too. 

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 11:23:02 AM »
Yes I've seen the enchilladas there and the burritos, and a load of other (non Mexican) dishes.

• Jewlz

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:24:18 AM »
Holland and Barrett carry Amy's frozen foods.  I shrieked out loud and did a dance of joy when I saw the mac and cheese....I'm sure I've seen the enchiladas there too. 

I've never even heard of Holland and Barrett. There might be one in the toon somewhere, but it would be a long way to go for frozen food.   :(

• Britannicaine
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »
Holland and Barrett is a sort of health-foody shop.  It has locations in Northumberland along with lots and lots of other places. 

--Francis Cabrel

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen corn tortillas in the UK (usually they're all flour tortillas).
I buy corn tortillas at Tesco all the time.  I keep two or three packs on hand and have never had a problem getting them.
Sadly, not widely available enough.  Angry They had dried black beans for a while (no canned, and no pintos of any kind) in our local Sainsburys, but they have stopped carrying them
If you have a Costcutter nearby, you will find all sorts of dry beans, including pintos.  

I have learned to make many Mexican dishes since moving here.  Coming from Southern CA, Mexican was my main fare.  The only thing I have found that is impossible to find here are canned green chiles, like the Ortegas.  I have seeds though and am going to try to grow my own this year.  
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
I have bought the corn tortillas in Tesco not quite the same as they still include more flour than usual and they don't taste right.

Most health food stores sell dried black beans now as well. But Tesco's do sell dried pinto beans...If anyone wants I have a recipe for enchilada sauce I make all the time VERY easy....

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 01:53:15 PM »
i would love the recipe for enchilada sauce ! my last visit over consisted of looking at the mexican food products available.......i too found corn tortillas at tesco but they looked like they had more flour in them than corn.....so ive come to the conclusion i will make from scratch.......i did find enchilada sauce it was just packaged different.......i put so much cheese in them that i kinda over power and seasonings.....lol.......so do you think it would be wise to bring some seasoning packages with me?

steff

• Jewlz

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »
Holland and Barrett is a sort of health-foody shop.  It has locations in Northumberland along with lots and lots of other places. 

Oh, cheers! DSS lives in Ashington now, so maybe one day we can look for it there and see what they have. I've never noticed their shop there, but maybe it's off the high street somewhere. (Also, Ashington is one of the easier villages to drive in around here, so maybe it will give me an excuse to go exploring! ;))

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 06:52:40 PM »
I buy corn tortillas at Tesco all the time.  I keep two or three packs on hand and have never had a problem getting them.

I've probably never seen them because I don't like them and so haven't actually looked for them :P. I haven't come across them when eating out yet.

Sponsored Links