Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Graduate Teacher Programme  (Read 1305 times)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Graduate Teacher Programme
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:29:55 PM »
I'm posting this here because my question really has to do with public funds.  Does the GTP count as government assistance?  I don't think it should be, because the money you get you actually do earn, but I wanted to be sure.  Has anyone actually done the programme?  Or have information?  Thanks :)
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 1
Re: Graduate Teacher Programme
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:55:35 AM »
I'm posting this here because my question really has to do with public funds.  Does the GTP count as government assistance?  I don't think it should be, because the money you get you actually do earn, but I wanted to be sure.  Has anyone actually done the programme?  Or have information?  Thanks :)

What is the GTP? Just wondering if it's something I could look into!!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Britannicaine
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 01:26:46 AM »
I think it would be tricky in terms of visas because it's a mix of work and training....but in your case it wouldn't be necessary because you're a qualified teacher in the US.  The GTP is for graduates with no teaching qualification who want to obtain one but can't do a PGCE. 

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 02:57:33 AM »
I think it would be tricky in terms of visas because it's a mix of work and training....but in your case it wouldn't be necessary because you're a qualified teacher in the US.  The GTP is for graduates with no teaching qualification who want to obtain one but can't do a PGCE. 

Ah, ok. I know I will have to get a UK qualification eventually if I teach there, but I can work while I do so. I was just thinking maybe it was a special grad program for teachers that I could apply for! lol
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
The GTP is for those who have degrees and want to be a qualified teacher. YOu must already have a school willing to train you. You will teach as a full time employee and train in your spare time. The school is supposed to be very active in taching you how to teach and getting you papers together.
I was in this program at the beginning of this school year. There were both inside factors and outside factors that caused me to defer the training this year. Honestly I do not know if I will go back to it.
One factor was that this type of certifacation is not good in America, Canada, nor anywhere except the UK. If you want to teach elsewhere in the future you need a PGCE, which is a fuul time university course.
If you want to ask more questions, please ask. I am happy to tell all...
And it is not considered public funds but you do have to be in the UK for at least 3 years (legally) before you are eligible to apply.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:59:06 AM »
One factor was that this type of certifacation is not good in America, Canada, nor anywhere except the UK. If you want to teach elsewhere in the future you need a PGCE, which is a fuul time university course.

Though I can't answer your original question, historyenne, I would prefer to do a PGCE, myself, if I were to teach for this reason. Even though there would still be international transferrability issues, the PGCE would be better recognised. Particularly within the EU, if you plan on obtaining British citizenship.

This is a good website to start research, if you don't know it already:
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/p!eLaXi

Best of luck!

• Britannicaine
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:28:43 PM »
I can't afford a PGCE, and I'm not bothered about gaining qualifications that are valid overseas, TBH.  I need a steady job in the UK, that's all.  I have six years' experience teaching, but since it was all either as an instructor at a university or at private language schools, I'm not qualified to teach in the state school system.  The language school I currently work for doesn't have anything for me to do at the moment, so I'm home with my thumb up my a$$ wondering how the heck I'm going to manage over the next few months.  I thought the GTP might be an option, but apparently not.  Another hope down the drain.   

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
Would you be able to do part time study by distance? Might be cheaper or allow you to spread the cost. You do English teaching, right?

Some options, if that's the case.

MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
(University of Manchester by distance)
http://www.education.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses/course/?code=01367&pg=2

MA English as a Foreign/Second Language MA (Distance Learning)
(University of Birmingham)
http://www.postgraduate.bham.ac.uk/programmes/distance/arts/english-as-foreign-lang-dist.shtml

MA/PgDip/PgCert TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
(Sheffield Hallam University by distance)
http://prospectus.shu.ac.uk/CourseEntry.cfm?CourseId=244

MA Applied Linguistics and TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
(University of Portsmouth by distance)
http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetypes/postgraduate/MAAppliedLinguisticsAndTesolDl/

MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and Applied Linguistics
and MA MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
(University of Leicester by Distance)
http://www.le.ac.uk/se/maprogrammes/matesol.html

MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
(University of Sunderland by distance) http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/course/625/teaching_english_to_speakers_of_other_languages_tesol___distance_learning

PGCert / PGDip /MA English Language Teaching & Materials Development
(Leeds Met part time 3 years by distance)
http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/international/english/index_CBA75D24C4DA4B419FB6F7D505B69398.htm

Hope that helps.

• Britannicaine
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »
Thanks, but I've already got a CELTA, and if I did a further qualification in TEFL, I'd do a DELTA, which is quicker and cheaper than an MA TEFL, and more highly regarded in the field. 

Trust me, I've explored all the options and I know what's available.  I was only interested in the GTP because it would be immediate work and a salary.  I don't have the luxury of going back to school even part time, and if I have to wait until I've been here three years before I can do the GTP, then there's no point because I'd rather do a PhD and I'm already waiting until I qualify for home fees to do that. 

I really don't need more training, I just need work.  If you could find me a link to jobs in private schools that don't require teachers to have state qualifications, then that would be useful. 

Sorry to sound snarky, I'm just worried.  My school led me to believe there'd be more work in February and March than there actually is.  DH and I are trying to get our own place, but we can't afford it on his salary alone and I think it's likely the letting agency will refuse our application anyway since I won't have the amount of income I thought I'd have.  I'm trying to find something flexible and part-time, because if I can just hang in there at the school for another year then I've got a shot at being among the senior staff, which would mean more security.  But there's as much chance of striking oil in the back garden as there is of finding that kind of job in this economy.  So I'm stuck.   

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »
I really don't need more training, I just need work.  If you could find me a link to jobs in private schools that don't require teachers to have state qualifications, then that would be useful.  

Would this help?

http://www.britishcouncil.org/accreditation-az-list.htm

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »
I have been working in the UK as an unqualified teacher for the last 3 years. Full time. My present salary is at the top of the unquilified payscale, £24,453p.a.
I was going to train to teach but a combination of factors made me stop. Amongst the most important is the behaviour of the children. (as I type in my classroom all alone, a boy quickly opened the door and yelled out 'b*tch!', nice huh??)

You might be able to teach as an unqualified for a while and then train with the same school. That is common. But you must have a strong stomach for the kids. They are not like I remember in small town America...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:

• Britannicaine
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 02:02:02 PM »
How do you get hired as an unqualified teacher?  Do you just apply to the school?  And are your responsibilities the same as if you were qualified? 

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »
I knew there was something else? Thanks, abercroft - is this what you are referring to?

Would you meet the requirements for the Overseas Trained Teacher Programme?

http://www.tda.gov.uk/recruit/thetrainingprocess/typesofcourse/ottp.aspx

Also look here:

http://www.tda.gov.uk/

• Britannicaine
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
No, I know about the overseas trained teacher programme and I don't qualify because I'm not overseas trained.  I'm untrained, which is why I asked about working as an unqualiied teacher. 

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
No, I am not qualified to teach in any country. I just have a fashion degree and they hired me as a technician. That is a minimum wage type job but they liked me so much that they hired me to teach when a teacher had a baby. They wanted me to teach History (I also have a history degree from the 80's)at first but then the Graphics teacher needed covering. So there I was. I have been with them ever since. If she goes for a second child I will be here next year as well.

I really enjoy teaching and wanted to do it before I got married and had kids. Then it just didn't happen after that. But I do warn you. you might be shocked at the schools over here. Granted I was in school in the 70's and I am sure things have changed everywhere, but I was shocked and my 12 year old son was shocked at the behaviour here. Not to disuade you, but to warn you what to expect.

I work for a Catholic school and I have been kicked,tripped, cussed at, had paint thrown at me, Had students walk out of class, and when I stood at the door to prevent that they went out the windows with a 'going for a smoke, miss'. One class I walked into everyone had their phones out and turned to face the wall when I walked in. They refused to turn around and engage in the lesson.
 I am constantly disappointed at the amout of work I get out a the students. I have had 15 year olds tell me they don't understand how to do a crossword puzzle, and 13 years olds tell me they don't know how to thread a needle. Go figure. Teachers work so very hard over here, but most of their efforts are wasted.

Enough of preaching... If I do not get rehired next Sept, I will sign up with Simply Education. They will use unqualified if you have experience. Some do, some don;t. If you are qualified overseas, almost all will. They tend to pay around £100 a day. And you do not have any responsiblity. But they will treat you like a full teacher, and the other teachers are helpful if you ask. Others have been very helpful to me, but little can really be done about the kids. A

Sounds like you need to sign up at an agency for cover work and find yourself a school willing to train you. Most love to help out with a GTP as you cost them very little. But to get the funding for training from the Govt. you need to be in the country legally for three years.

Sponsored Links