Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Favorite Local Indy Restuarant & Favorite Chain  (Read 1348 times)

• Liked: 3
Favorite Local Indy Restuarant & Favorite Chain
« on: January 16, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »
Haven't seen this discussed, so I'll start it off--

Favorite local restaurant - Cardamom (Indian)
Favorite Chain- Nando's

I'm in Harborne Brum

:o)

• Liked: 0
Re: Favorite Local Indy Restuarant & Favorite Chain
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:24:28 PM »
For great local restaurants, we like Greedie's in Old Isleworth for breakfast and Don Fernando's in Richmond for dinner.

As for a chain restaurant, Gourmet Burger Kitchen.
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »
Favorite local restaurants: Thai Thai in East Ham and Spice Inn in Stratford (Indian). Plus the Aroma chinese buffet in Basildon! (somewhat local anyway... we drive out there a lot.)

Chain: Definitely Nandos! It's an addiction for me.
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »
Independent - There are still lots I'd like to try around here, but so far I love the Porthminster Beach Cafe in St. Ives and Gurnard's Head in Zennor. Also, another fave (not near here but back in Wales, where I used to live) is The Hardwick in Abergavenny. Stephen Terry is amazing. Oh, and The Crown at Whitebrook near Monmouth - but perhaps only for very special occasions.

Chain - No thank you!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
Grumbles for independent.

Wagamamas or Giraffe are my current top chains, although we don't go out often any more, chain or independent.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 06:56:52 PM »
Gruel is my favorite for brunch. Keogh's is my favorite coffee shop. There is a killer Chinese restaurant near our house. I forget what it's called.

As for chains, I like Nando's and Wagamama's, but if I chose based on number of visits, it would probably be McDonald's.  :-\\\\

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 07:01:38 PM »
Local - Chilli (Indian restaurant)

Chain - Akbars (Indian, I think just in Yorkshire though)
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »
I like Wagamama and actually think our local Harvester is decent. I've had some good meals at Loch Fyne too.

I've had a harder time finding independent restaurants in our area that I like. There's a Ghurka restaurant that's has good food and a decent Italian place, but other than that, not much.  :-\\\\

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 07:33:43 PM »
Local: Café Maitreya (Easton, Bristol) Really amazing. Totally veggie/organic. A special treat we reserve for birthdays and celebrations. They have a website

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »
Cassalingo in Brighton is my absolute favourite independent restaurant, just perfect authentic neighbourhood italian. It actually has put me off visiting other italian restaurants.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2006/aug/15/travelfoodanddrink.foodanddrink.restaurants

Favourite Chain - Byron. Skinny burger with courgette fries and a diet coke, is my not that cheaty, low carb treat meal and it's absolutely delish!  :)

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:21 PM »
oh, my other favorite chain: Pret a Manger! They have the greatest veggie wrap I have ever had. Best combo of tastes and textures. I ate there every day when I worked at Hamleys!
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:27 PM »
Local - we have a wonderful Chinese takeaway: Happy Choice...their King Prawn Chop Suey is excellent!

Chain - I just found a new fave - LaTasca, spanish Tapas and quite tasty.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »
Local: Mustard Seed (I believe they actually call it Scottish! ;))-  can't beat the early meal deal with a starter, main, plate of steamed veg on the side, and a glass of wine/stella/soft drink, usually around £10-£12, very good food (locally grown/raised)- and a nice atmosphere.  Its also almost impossible to get into on a weekend for that reason.  

Chain- trying to think of something... the only thing I can think of is Pizza Express
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »
Local: Bel and Dragon, really great food!!!

Chain: Pizza Express, always a great meal :D

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 01:15:24 PM »
Hmmm.... I haven't been out very often since I've lived here, to be honest.

Indy: The Treehouse at Alnwick is amazing. Blackmore's of Alnwick is also very good. To be honest, those are probably the only two restaurants I have been to around here!  :-X I should get out more. It's just so expensive!

Chain: I went to Pizza Express once in London and enjoyed it, but have no idea where one is around here. Ate at Wagamama once and liked it, though I thought it was a bit pricey for the portion size. I mean, I didn't expect a giant meal like at a chain restaurant in the US or anything, but I got a vegetable curry thing that had only two slices of butternut squash and two slices of eggplant (they weren't giant slices, either, that might have made all the difference - they were about the size of my palm and fairly thin).  :-\\\\ Anyway, it was still very tasty.  :)

Sponsored Links