Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not an Expat Yet  (Read 996 times)

• Liked: 0
Not an Expat Yet
« on: August 05, 2004, 12:44:13 PM »
Hi all - I'm Julie, living in Wisconsin, 'working' my way to the UK.  Just wanted to say hi to all the familiar faces I see here from another web-site.  Is that comment getting repetitious?!  ;D

My mom is a British citizen, but I was born after a certain important date in 1961 and am therefore not entitled to British citizenship - waiting until my mid-40's to decide where I REALLY wanted to be wasn't all that great an idea.  But, I'm pursuing my other few limited options and will get there.

Look forward to getting to know some new people and continuing on with some of your others!!

Julie
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Not an Expat Yet
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 12:47:54 PM »
Welcome Julie.  I've read about your difficulties elsewhere and I really hope that you are able to achieve your dreams.  Give 'em hell and get that passport!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 02:04:57 PM by Caitlinn »
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 02:03:35 PM »
A big public hug and hello!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 03:30:19 PM »
Same for me.  Here is my piblic welcome.   :-*

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 04:48:06 AM »
Welcome from another "familiar" face!

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 04:57:59 AM »
Hi welcome aboard..

Could you explain to me why it is you dont qualify for citizenship if your Mom is a British citizen??

Im confused ( you'll notice that a lot around here when I post...I ask to many questions..LOL)

Im able to get citizenship because my Mum is a British citizen..when I was born and still is
I found all this out here...

Maybe I read your post wrong??

Scott

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 07:12:15 AM »
You're most likely right Jemima

I got nervous..LOL

I think that is what she meant to say!!

Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 01:02:48 PM »
Yep, that's what I meant to say!  Thought about this yesterday while driving to work, and realized I'd probably put it the wrong way!!!!  I was born BEFORE that all-important date in 1961, and haven't had any luck convincing the Home Office to just get rid of the whole date thing - the way it is for children of male British citizens.  Sigh.

Sad thing is, my brothers and my mother could move to the UK as citizens anytime they wanted to, but I can't just because of my birthdate! 

Anyway, I wanted to say thank you for the warm welcome, in spite of my gaffe -  ;D - and I'll look forward to lots of interesting exchanges of info in the future.

Julie

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 01:04:09 PM »
 Hiya Julie and welcome to UKY  :) Dont give up on your dream,as you said you will get there.

Rhia

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 01:07:52 PM »
They tried to fix that pre-1961 thing in Lords when the rest of the bill was going through, but it didn't work.  The Lords who were against said the amount of pre-61 kids was too negligible to bother changing the bill and running it through the houses again, they were down to the wire with voting.

Best of luck!  Have you looked into trying to get through because of your grandparents, or maybe you spent a large part of your life in the UK and so have strong ties?

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 01:27:08 PM »
Hi Saf -  Have looked at everything I know to look at - as a matter of fact, a very kind immigation advisor helped me draft a petition to the Home Office asking them to make an exception for me, but they were unwilling to do so.

Part of what I was hoping for in that is because the numbers ARE negligible, my situation is unique, but that didn't work.

Don't know about the grandparents thing - they were both born in England, not Ireland.  My dad's side has been in the US way too long to look at EU citizenship.

Instead, I will end up joining a new minority, if a UK uni will have me - mature student! 

I will not give up on this dream, and, in coming months, you'll probably get to know me TOO well as I ask a million questions about education and jobs and the likelihood of being offered my dream job after one year at uni!!! lol. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab