Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Too Hot to Cook -- Alternatives?  (Read 1329 times)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
Re: Too Hot to Cook -- Alternatives?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 06:52:46 PM »
How about a tandoori turkey salad. You just need a bag of mixed salad greens, some tandoori seasoning, lowfat yoghurt and some turkey breast steaks. Cut the turkey in strips and marinate it in a mixture of yoghurt and tandoori seasoning. Then panfry the turkey in a bit of butter or ghee until all the liquid evaporates and you get those lovely charred marks on the turkey. Put the turkey on a bed of salad, drizzle with a bit of the plain yoghurt and serve with mini garlic naan breads and mango chutney. Follow with a chilled fruit salad made with strawberries, papaya and mango. :)

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 09:27:56 PM »
I wonder why they specify kosher salt when prawns are never kosher.  ???

I'm pretty sure it's to do with the quality of the salt - kosher salt tends to be favoured by chefs for some reason - not sure if it's the flavour or the courseness of it though....

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 09:32:51 PM »
Well, tonight's dinner was taco salad, with a salsa dressing, topped with cheddar and a sprinkling of nacho chips.  Already defrosted the hamburger, so I thought I better use it.

I think tomorrow's dinner will be a variation of LisaE's pasta salad.

Yes, Broxi, I do have a slow cooker and it does make sense to use it in the weather, but I was hoping for a 'cool' dinner rather than something piping hot.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 11:35:38 PM »
Oops... i misunderstood!
I was assuming you just didnt want to heat the house up by using the cooker.  :)

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2004, 12:00:39 AM »
We do a casual, "cold cuts" dinner every Christmas Eve (although I make scalloped potatoes as well).  We've done it on occasion at other times of the year, too, and we really enjoy it.

Crackers, French bread, corned beef, ham, roast beef (obviously you get whatever you like)...various cheeses (usually Havarti and cheddar) cut up...some crackers...some black olives.

I lay all the meats out on a platter in a circle with the olives in the center, slice the cheeses and set them out in the center of another plate surrounded by bread slices and crackers, then sometimes get a nice pate too or some dips (like hummus or ranch dressing.)  My Mom used to cut up celery with peanut butter, hubby prefers celery with cream cheese.  I hate celery but I do it for him on Xmas.

Then we sit in the living room with heaping plates and eat.  There's ususally plenty of leftovers, too, and this is always fun.  It feels special, even though it's just cold cuts!  We graze all night.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2004, 04:21:33 AM »
What about a tuna noodle salad.  Cook up some pasta before it gets to hot out and chill.  Add tuna, hard boiled eggs, and crunchy veggies.  Stir in some salad cream, salt and pepper to taste, then chill. 

Tastes to good to eat it cold when it's hot in the evening.  :P (This is the closest thing to a yummy smiley)

Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2004, 05:16:54 AM »
After we left Rome last month, I wasn't sure I would ever be able to eat ice cream again. Erm, I mean true, fresh, natural ingredients, no preservatives, wonderful, delicious gelato-type creamy yummy sinful stuff. So I just *had* to buy a gelato machine. And last night made THE best coffee gelato. Just too good and sinful...best I've ever had. Want to make something to beat the heat? Gelato. Oh man.

I'm happy to share this recipe with anyone who wants. I've only tried two so far and the lemon/lime wasn't up to scratch. But the coffee one is definitely worth the time to make it.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2004, 07:00:37 AM »
The current Sainsbury's magazine has some tasty looking recipes for various tapas...  tapas are great in hot weather.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2004, 11:18:38 AM »
You can always put on another sweater or turn up the heat, but you can only take off so many clothes!!!

Hmmm, this saying sounds very, very familiar -- like it might have come from my mouth a time or two. :)
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2004, 11:35:46 AM »
Here's a simple salad for a hot day, i got it from a friend in the church when i was about 15 visiting for dinner and i've never forgot the recipe!! lol

bag of pasta.
selection of your favourite salad leaves.
Tomato,
Cucumber
Ample amounts of mayo!!!
Seasoning

and the special ingredients.
 Unsalted peanuts and 1 finely chopped apple!!

Mix as you would a normal salad and add the peanuts and apple at the end and chill!
The apple and peanuts just give the salad that extra zing and bit to chunchless boring salads that have been left to setlle!

try it it works a treat!

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2004, 11:40:20 AM »
Or....
Try my tuna surprise!!!

Real easy to make...

Mix tuna with ample amounts of Mayo and sweetcorn (sounds quite normal so far...?)
Then add ample amounts of tomato ketchup to the mix, mix it up till it turns a pale salmon colour!

This is so great on a hot fresh baked baguette, ice cold soda and a bag of salt and vinegar chips!!

MMMmmmmMMMmmm ;D

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2004, 11:45:17 AM »
Oh and for a quick simple dessert...

Chopped Strawberries with fresh squeezed lemon juice on top with a sprinkling amount of sugar and a scoop of fine ice cream.

naughty but nice!!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab