Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Are there ways to move without getting married?  (Read 1362 times)

• Liked: 0
Are there ways to move without getting married?
« on: February 26, 2003, 04:46:02 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I discovered this site last night. There seems to be lots of knowledgable people and I'm hoping that someone may be able to help.

I'm an American, my boyfriend is a Brit. We want to be together and I'm sure that we'll marry someday, but I don't like the idea of getting married too soon just to satisfy the immigration laws. His field (military/defense stuff) leaves little change of him moving here - most of his potential jobs specify that the applicant must be a U.S.Citizen. I do not fall into any of the skilled-labour shortages that I saw on the embassy site. Are these the only fields that qualify for a work-permit? Do you need a work permit for "non-professional" fields like waitressing or housekeeping? I have a good job here, but would be willing to do anything for a year or two, until we have other options.

Also, I've been wanting to go to grad school. If I attend grad school in the UK, will I be allowed to work under the student visa? Not working really isn't an option, as neither of us is wealthy. Has anyone had any experience with grad school in the U.K.?

I feel very lucky to have found the man I love. I don't want to lose him just because we're from different countries. Thanks for any help.

Re: Are there ways to move without getting married
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 01:15:07 AM »
My boyfriend is also a brit, and it can make things difficult trying to get work permits for one or the other. If you're a student it is easier, an agency named BUNAC offers 6 month 'blue card' work permits for $250, but you have to have been in school or university within the past 6 months to qualify. Short of that, you would have to apply directly to a company that would be interested in sponsoring you for a work permit.
Condition people to expect nothing. That way the least little thing surprises them...

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 01:52:36 AM »
I'm more familiar with the US immigration rules (though I am British), but I think that they are broadly the same as the UK's.

Basically, if you aren't married to a Brit or have skills in short supply in the UK, it is very difficult to get a visa to work in the UK.  Of the options that you do have, getting your employer to transfer you is the easiest, but even then you have to meet a test of being imortant/ necessary to the business - i.e. of management grade, and (I think) have been employed by them for at least 12 months.

You don't by chance have a grandparent who was a citizen of any country in the EU do you?  If you do you could get a passport from that country (in most cases) and live and work in the UK or anywhere in the European Onion.
Richard

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 12:58:58 PM »
If you do you could get a passport from that country (in most cases) and live and work in the UK or anywhere in the European Onion.

European Onion?  
::)

That's just too cute a typo to overlook - sorry Mr. Val!!!  Not really picking on you - just couldn't let this one go by!!   [smiley=laugh4.gif]
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 11:32:56 PM »
..... That's just too cute a typo to overlook - sorry Mr. Val!!!  Not really picking on you - just couldn't let this one go by!!   [smiley=laugh4.gif]

It wasn't really a typo, interference in British affairs by the European parliament just makes me want to cry and "onion" seems appropriate!  ;D
Richard

• Wishing I was in the UK now!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 06:53:28 AM »
Ok, not to rain on anyone's parade about the grandparent deal.  But this is what I have been told about a dozen times by the British Consulate.  

I have a grandmother, here in the US,(about 12 miles away) that is from the UK, she still is a UK citizen and still has a UK passport, with a US green card.  I saw on the websites about about entering under the Commonwealth Ancestory Visa, and thought "aww perfect!"  Well, I called, and Commonwealth means Canada!  Then I inquired about entering under the ancestory visa, and they said ONLY if your parent was a UK citizen could you enter under that visa provision.  

So.....I am to the enter under the fiance visa, and no work till we are married.   :(  Luckily my fiance was all for supporting my son and I till we are married.  

I do wish you luck, but in my research it was about impossible to just "move".  I am really sorry, as this disappointed me, I love working, (yes I am nuts), but I have been doing it for so many years, it will be wierd to be off for a while.

Cheers!
Vonny

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab