Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Will my US credit card work in the UK without a chip & pin?  (Read 9423 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Will my US credit card work in the UK without a chip & pin?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »
I have no idea why they don't, especially since they nickel and dime you on every other thing.  :D  Apparently Visa & MasterCard charge the issuers themselves a 1% int'l transaction fee and CapOne absorbs that, too, rather than passing it on the way the others do. 

They don't jack the conversion rate, either -- I did a test on a £100 (exactly) transaction just to test it out!

Dangit and I just canceled my Capital One card too. But it looks like it may be a good one to have for when I move.
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »
Dangit and I just canceled my Capital One card too. But it looks like it may be a good one to have for when I move.

I kept mine specifically for this reason...They have upped my interest rates like crazy (despite paying my full balance on time every month), but I just keep it on hand for unexpected things when travelling...I put a hold on it when I'm in the US, and use my low(er) interest-BofA card.

I'm not sure how the no-fee thing works either though..but I know there's a major branch in Nottingham, ..so being an International company, maybe has something to do with it? ...But i doubt it, because there are millions of other international companies out there that  charge you the extra 1%
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 09:31:17 AM »
However, some stores, especially in more rural, non-touristy areas will NOT swipe cards. It is simply against their store policy now. I encountered this several times in smaller market towns and rural locations. Chip and pin is all about security. This is why some places just won't swipe the card anymore.

This is true, and not only in rural areas.  I am in London and my local wine shop (which is part of a national chain) will only accept chip and PIN.  They've had trouble with swiped US and Canadian cards in the past, apparently.  Though I am not sure whether the problem was with the cards, or perhaps with them not processing them correctly.

And my local dry cleaner is cash only, no cards of any kind.

However, you will be able to use your US credit card in 99% of the places you shop, with just the odd exception here and there, so don't worry!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
When I was here in Sept I tried to use Visa Credit Card at ASDA and they said I couldnt I explained it needed to be swiped and didn't have a pin/chip she called over a supervisor type person and she said they couldnt take it...

thank goodness I had other cash on me..now I am paranoid to ever try to use my check card (US) I withdrawl from lloyds and wells fargo in the states charges me a flat 5 bucks and the bank here doesnt charge and the conversion rate isn't TOO bad

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »
Well that Asda was just dumb.  Even the self-checkouts at my Asda have a sign saying swipe card if no chip and pin.   ;)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
small village = dumb ASDA

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »
I've never had problems using my US debit card (I live in a town, not city).  I always just say it has no chip and needs to be swiped.  Some times I do have to put it in the chip and pin reader first, but only because thats the way certain cash registers work in order for the cashier to have the option to swipe.
I'm also lucky enough to use my debit card without incurring any fees/charges.  I'm with a small US bank. 
And as another poster said previously, they will check that your signature matches, so be sure your cards are signed!
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

• Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »
Did I read it here a few weeks ago about USAA bank?  Anyhow I opened an account with them and change my direct deposit to them and it appears to be a good move so thanks for the tip. I also was reading an old Consumer Reports and they listed them as a first choice for a financial institution.

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »
You may want to double check any legal information your credit card company sends you regarding changes to their services after the new law goes into effect on February 22. Chase has added on some transaction fees that were not there before when I used the card internationally. I believe all US credit card companies were required to send out updated notification of any changes.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 09:55:07 PM »
Just do bear in mind that if you are using a US credit or debit card in the UK that you have a high chance that you will be remitting non-UK income or gains to the UK which you may have to calculate and report on your UK tax return.  Guidance on how to report can be found here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/CNR/rdrm-remittances.pdf

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab