Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: iPhone saved my sanity  (Read 5993 times)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
Re: iPhone saved my sanity
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 08:53:42 AM »
how does skype work on the iphone?

I could never get it to work on mine. I'd be interested to know how the others worked it.

Somebody was telling me they didn't really like touch screen phones, but I think one of those phones with the little teensy tiny QWERTY keyboard would drive me insane - so I'm thinking I would like the touch screen.

And the good thing about the iphone on-screen keyboard is that if it's too small for you to type when holding the phone right way up, you can always put it to it's side and it spreads the keyboard out horizontally, which gives you bigger keys. It's very clever.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 08:57:47 AM »
Skype works well for me, but has a few limitations.  First of all, you have to be connected to wireless to use Skype, you can't just use the network.  Secondly, I don't believe you can video chat.  But I can call Ross for free from my phone from most everywhere, which is bomb.
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
Skype works well for me, but has a few limitations.  First of all, you have to be connected to wireless to use Skype, you can't just use the network.  Secondly, I don't believe you can video chat.  But I can call Ross for free from my phone from most everywhere, which is bomb.

I've hacked my (unlocked) phone so that I can call with a 3G signal and don't need a wifi network, which is awesome. :D

My only complaint with it is that it only rings (like a real phone) if I have the Skype app open, even though I've got the "stay logged in" setting checked, so invariably someone calls, it doesn't ring, they leave a voicemail, and I get back to it later. Not the end of the world, but annoying just the same.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 01:00:08 PM »
Ah. Do you have to hack it to work? I only ask because I'd rather not have to hack my phone.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »
I just use the wifi as I dont want to hack my phone ;-)

It works well for me...I am actually getting a cordless skype dualphone for the house so it will ring like a normal phone so I dont leave skype open on my iphone even though my computer is logged in.

For such a small house I am MIGHTY connected as I have the desktop and laptop and my iphone really I am a geek in many many ways....

I love skype as I was in Durham putzing around and I have O2 and get free cloud and BT wifi zones and just call US like its nothing ;-P

I seriosuly dont know how I lived without this other geek technology

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 01:41:34 PM »
I just use wifi for Skype, too.  LOVE IT!  I used to think I was connected with my old palm Treo.  Ha.   

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »

I love skype as I was in Durham putzing around and I have O2 and get free cloud and BT wifi zones and just call US like its nothing ;-P

How does one go about calling the US free using Skype? I'm definitely a noob when it comes to that.
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
I have credit on Skype but I just call whoever and tell them to call me back on my #...
I own a US skype number I paid like sixty bucks for so any US person calls me for free and it doesnt cost me anything...I pay the 2 cents to call them a min or i pop over to google voice and text them or email them and say hey call me!

;-)

I wish google voice would be supported over here

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 04:18:55 PM »
I have credit on Skype but I just call whoever and tell them to call me back on my #...
I own a US skype number I paid like sixty bucks for so any US person calls me for free and it doesnt cost me anything...I pay the 2 cents to call them a min or i pop over to google voice and text them or email them and say hey call me!

;-)

I wish google voice would be supported over here

Thanks! :)
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »
I've had my iphone for only three months so I am far from an expert, but I do like it!  My previous phone was a Sidekick, with a nice wide QWERTY keyboard which I will say was better not only for speed and accuracy in typing, but also because unlike the iphone, I didn't have to suffer from frozen fingers when using it outdoors in the winter.  (Can't use the iphone's touch screen with gloves on.)  Having said that, overall the iphone is a much more sophisticated device, fun and practical.

Apps?  Here are a few that I have found to be useful, in no particular order.  Zoyabean, some of these are for Londoners, but I hope you won't mind me mentioning them for the benefit of those who may be interested.  And you'll be coming to visit London at some point, won't you?   :)

London Tube Status (free):  Tells you the current status of the tube lines, and perhaps more importantly, what closures are planned.  Since there is so much construction going on, it's really essential to know before you go.

London Tube Deluxe (59p):  A fancier version of London Tube Status (so you don't need both).  Includes a system map and journey planner, and you can see upcoming departures at a particular station, with variable accuracy.

London Bus (59p):  All three of these transport apps are from Malcolm Barclay by the way, just in case you get confused by other apps with similar names.  This figures out where you are, and where you can catch a bus nearby to get to a destination you enter.  Also has general info about all bus routes, such as how frequently the bus runs, but not a live update of when you can expect the next one.

Met Office Weather (free): Extremely detailed weather reports and forecasts.  A new release, and often busy so if it doesn't work the first time you try it, just try again later.

Toiluxe Central London Edition (59p):  Figures out where you are and locates "nice" toilets nearby.  Moderately good now, but certainly has the potential to improve as users add to the database.

TuneIn Radio (119p):  I use it to listen to BBC Radio 4 live, but you can choose from 30,000 stations, and record programs too.

Stanza (free):  I like to carry a book with me to read on the train or during other down times, and an e-book reader is a perfectly portable solution.  This app will let you download free copies of classics (I'm reading The Railway Children right now), or if you're feeling spendy, you can pay to download more current publications.

True Weight Lite (free):  To track the effects of too much apple crumble and custard. 

This American Life (179p):  A new release and I am over the moon as this is my favorite radio program and the app gives you free yes free access to their entire archives!   If you are a regular listener of TAL, you probably already know that you can download each week's one-hour program for free (subscribe via the podcasts section of itunes), but archived programs are 59p each.  If you've never listened to TAL, please trust me, it's great.  Each week has a different theme, and even if you don't think the theme sounds interesting, it's worth listening anyway because the stories are so compelling, funny, heartbreaking, etc.  For the neophyte I recommend episode 230, Come Back to Afghanistan.  It's one of my all-time favorites.

And two non-app tips:

Did you know you can add an icon to your home screen which will link you directly to the UK Yankee Forum?  Yes, one tap and you are here!  To do this, open Safari, go to the UKY Forum home page, scroll and size the screen how you'd like it to look (I recommend zooming in on the UK Yankee logo), and then tap the + (plus) sign at the bottom of the screen.

Although everyone says its easy to use the iPhone, I found that it was worth my time to borrow a guide book from the library, as I learned a lot of tips and tricks that I might not have figured out otherwise.  The book I used was "The iPhone Book, UK 3GS" by Scott Kelby and Terry White, but "The Missing Manual" by David Pogue also looked good.  Be sure to get the correct version for your phone model, or it won't be as useful.

OK, that was a long post, sorry!  But I hope that maybe someone got something out of it.  And I'm really excited to hear everyone else's tips for cool apps, I'm definitely going to check those out!  Thank you Zoyabean for starting this thread!

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
I've had my iphone for only three months so I am far from an expert, but I do like it!  My previous phone was a Sidekick, with a nice wide QWERTY keyboard which I will say was better not only for speed and accuracy in typing, but also because unlike the iphone, I didn't have to suffer from frozen fingers when using it outdoors in the winter.  (Can't use the iphone's touch screen with gloves on.)  Having said that, overall the iphone is a much more sophisticated device, fun and practical.

Oh but they've got gloves you can use with touch screens. Behold: http://www.dotsgloves.com/

I use gloves which a little less gadgety, though. They're the fingerless kind with the mitten top which comes off and on. I love those.

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 05:42:28 PM »
Say Ashley, those gloves are kinda cool...but yours sound fashion-friendly too.  Good tip!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 05:33:39 PM »
Finally, I got it!  Now to figure out how to use it...

Then I'll have to trawl this thread again for apps that I might like.

PS - as far as saving my sanity, I think it's far too late for that - it's an I-phone, not a miracle worker...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:38:20 PM by Mrs Robinson »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »
Finally, I got it!  Now to figure out how to use it...

Then I'll have to trawl this thread again for apps that I might like.

PS - as far as saving my sanity, I think it's far too late for that - it's an I-phone, not a miracle worker...  ;)

Hooray!

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
WOO HOO Welcome to the club ;-)

PM or yell at me with any questions - if I dont know I can figure it out

Sponsored Links