Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US tax filing question  (Read 958 times)

• Liked: 0
US tax filing question
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »
Please excuse me if this has already been posted, I've read through the posts on here and could not find it so...

I am a US citizen who married a UK citizen in July 2009 and moved to the UK in October. I did not make any income in the UK in 2009 at all.

Can I use turbo tax to help me file? Should I put "married filing separately" or "married filing jointly"?  Will being married affect how much I get back? My husband is self employed- will they need to know any more information about him?

I don't have many assets and only have one savings account. My dad is going to help me do my taxes and I just need a little assistance from you all.

Thank you.

Follow your bliss.

Re: US tax filing question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »
Separately, unless your spouse has a IRS number from the US gov't.  You need to fill in NRA for your spouse's ss#. 

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »
Ok, my spouse has no IRS numbers or any financial connection to the US. I read on a different thread to put NRA- but, can that be done on turbo tax or do I need to file some other way?
Follow your bliss.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »
you can completed everything in turbo tax but the NRA field.  Then you will need to print the return, hand write it in and mail it.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
Ok- thanks! My dad will be doing my taxes for me this year (I know, I know- I should grow up!-haha) would he be able to mail it or does it need a signature? Also, do I need any more info about my husband in terms of how much he made or anything?!
Follow your bliss.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
It is your return so you will need to sign it.

If yoyu have joint bank or financial accounts wit your husband you will need details of these to disclose on Form TD F 90-22.1 if the aggregate balances exceeded $10,000.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »
Another question regarding me signing the printed form. If my dad completes the form for me using Turbo Tax back in America, can he scan or fax that to me so that I can print and sign and scan or fax back or will they need the original signature? In that case I imagine the only way for me to get the form is for him to mail it to me and for me to mail back?
Follow your bliss.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
It is your return so you will need to sign it.

If yoyu have joint bank or financial accounts wit your husband you will need details of these to disclose on Form TD F 90-22.1 if the aggregate balances exceeded $10,000.

jumping in with a question on this: i am planning to file jointly with my UK husband this time around...i have a bank account i will need to report, but do not have a joint account with my husband.  since we are filing jointly, would that mean that he would need to report HIS accounts, even though they have no connection to me?

• Liked: 102
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 01:48:30 PM »
There is some doubt whether the election you plan on both signing under IR Code section 6013(g) for 2009 is or not applicable to the FBAR as this is not a tax return.

Nonetheless, most folks - including now the IRS - would believe that your husband should report all foreign financial accounts on his own FBAR as he is electing to be a US person.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »
There is some doubt whether the election you plan on both signing under IR Code section 6013(g) for 2009 is or not applicable to the FBAR as this is not a tax return.

Nonetheless, most folks - including now the IRS - would believe that your husband should report all foreign financial accounts on his own FBAR as he is electing to be a US person.

thanks very much for the advice! 

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:55:30 PM »
Regarding Turbo Tax/ Taxcut, how do people enter their UK wages in these programs?  I'm trying to enter them on the same screen you would enter your W2 wages.  The problem is that since my employer doesn't have an EIN, the program won't accept what I've entered even though I've ticked the foreign address boxes.  I contacted Taxcut's support but they were useless. 

• Painted Leather Jackets
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »
On Turbotax there is a place to add wages not reported on W2. I've not had a problem.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 08:23:20 PM »
Another question regarding me signing the printed form. If my dad completes the form for me using Turbo Tax back in America, can he scan or fax that to me so that I can print and sign and scan or fax back or will they need the original signature? In that case I imagine the only way for me to get the form is for him to mail it to me and for me to mail back?

This wasn't answered and I am wondering if anyone can help me?
Follow your bliss.

Sponsored Links