Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job interview ----- Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Help!  (Read 1205 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Job interview ----- Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Help!
« on: August 09, 2004, 12:51:48 PM »
I have a job interview on Monday! Ahhhhhhhh!

I've been sending CVs out for part and full time lecturing jobs at various universities here in the southwest. I just received a letter today that I have my first proper interview at Bath Spa University.

I am freaking out because it's a panel interview which is scary. I'm also freaking because I thought this was a job with the Art and Design department but when I looked up the profiles of the people on the panel, they are all in the English and Fine art departments. Apparently they have some special course called Visual Contexts or something like that which overlaps English and the arts. This makes me very nervous as there's nary an art or design person to be found on my interview panel.

Has anyone else done these panel interviews?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Job interview ----- Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 12:58:27 PM »
I'm don't know if they will do this in the educational field, but most of the panel interviews I've done have been structured interviews. *ugh*
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 12:58:52 PM »
I've done informal panel interviews (seated around a table, over lunch, etc.) but only in the US.

Think of it this way - they wouldn't have asked you in for an interview if they hadn't thought you were a good fit for the job - so be confident! And just be yourself - that sounds so cliche, but I find that if I can get it into my head that I'm also checking them out and just find the inner confidence that I'm worthy of the job, I interview pretty well....

With panel interviews in general, I think one really important thing is to address all of them - if one asks a question, make eye contact with each of them as you answer - keep them all feeling included.

Good luck - let us know how it goes! And congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 01:05:05 PM »
I've had a panel interview but it was only with 3 people. I really didn't think much of it other than they each got to ask me questions.

Bring a notepad and pen with you. Ask if you can take notes during the interview and write down questions that pop up while they're talking to you so that you can ask them questions back. If you can, try to ask each person a question about what they've said. (although I realise that's not very easy)

As Caitlinn said it will probably be very structured with someone leading the interview.

You'll be fine! Try not to worry. They're not so bad!

And good luck hon. I'll be sending out good vibes. 
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 10:28:28 PM »
Well, I can tell you I had a very relaxed interview.  Three people on a panal, two of which were in the department (I work at a Uni) third was an HR rep.  She asked very few questions and they were not to structured.  I think the pad and pen idea is great and also when they ask you to ask a question, ask it!!!!  I asked them Why do they work there, they loved it :P  All in all uni's are much more relaxed then big corps!  If you have anymore questions feel free to IM me!!!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 08:33:57 AM »
Oh yes! Fingers definitely crossed!
Ladies' lunch in Bath!
I'm definitely up for it.
[chant]getthejobgetthejobgetthejob[/chant]
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 12:05:26 PM »
Best of luck Balmerhon!  I would be on pins and needles about a panel interview.  But I've been on interviews where you start with one person then move on to two more people in the same day.  I think interviews are really stressful no matter how they are set up.  You made it to an interview - that is significant in itself.  Now its letting them hear how you speak for yourself, how personable you are and confident.  This you can do!  Now take a deep breath and get in there!!  lol
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 12:27:28 PM »
  All in all uni's are much more relaxed then big corps! 

You've got a point there, stacey. Jon works at Leeds Uni and it's extremely relaxed. They're big on not wanting to create stress but it's all very political.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 04:49:39 PM »
I think what's bugging me is that the position is not within the dept I thought it would be. It's all a tad confusing so I'll spare you the details. But, despite the fact I am doing a PhD, I am not a 'fancy pants' academic. My thesis topic is very down to earth and I'm approaching it in down to earth manner. I've looked at the research areas of the folks interviewing me and they are very theoretical and philisophical in their approach. So I have no idea what to expect from them or what they expect from me.

Yes, they've seen my CV, they know where I'm publishing, and I think they know the general area of my interests, but I'm still not sure where they will be coming from.

I'm not worried about my abilities. I'm just worried that they may be assuming some things about me that aren't there. Thank goodness I looked the panel members up or I'd be going into this totally blind.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 05:12:47 PM »
Just a thought, but maybe they're interested in you because of your different approach?  And perhaps most of them are members of the hiring committee....so their department doesn't necessarily reflect what you'll be expected to deal with.  Maybe? 

Anyway, I'm sending good vibes your way...I'm sure you'll be great!   ;D 

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 11:53:06 PM »
Ah hah! Found it!  Good luck again!  What did you think about the commute?

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 09:12:01 AM »
Ah hah! Found it! Good luck again! What did you think about the commute?

Well, lets just say I won't be driving if I get it! Compare: 1 hour 45 mins by car, 1 hour by train. Not a hard decision!  ;D

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 12:18:26 PM »
When do you know?
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 01:05:40 PM »
When do you know?

No later than 31 Aug.  :o

Sponsored Links