Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: HSMP & Health  (Read 1159 times)

• -a thousand words
  • Liked: 0
HSMP & Health
« on: August 10, 2004, 05:20:34 AM »
I have successfully gained HSMP Visa and entry clearance. I am leaving my job this week and will be moving to London on the 26th of August. My question is what to do with my prescriptions? I am on Ortho-trycyclen (birth control) and Vioxx (anti inflamatory). Can I transfer them, or do I have to get a doc in London to prescribe me? How much will they cost in the UK, and do I need to carry cobra, or am I eligible for National Health care?

thanks-

Jessie

• Why a duck?
  • Liked: 0
Re: HSMP & Health
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 01:23:43 AM »
Hi, Jessie!

You are entitled to NHS care as soon as you become a resident, one who resides in the UK.  Once you arrive, you will be a resident.  As soon as you can, go to your nearest health center and register.  It's a good idea to take something with you that proves your address.  Tell the receptionist that you will need prescriptions soon.  You will need to be seen by a nurse for intake before you see the doctor.  Once you see the doc, your BC and repeated prescriptions will be easy to obtain.

I just registered today at my local health center.  I see the nurse on Thursday and the doc on next Tuesday.  The whole interaction took maybe 5 minutes.

I don't know how much your scrips will cost.  Much less than COBRA payments.

Chris
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 07:29:39 AM »
Your prescriptions will cost £6.00. They will give you the UK equivalent or nearestthing to what you were taking back home, just inform your doctor.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 04:24:54 PM »
That is incorrect they will cost nothing  :D  All birth control is free in the UK.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 04:28:46 PM »
make sure you bring the original box for your birth control (and maybe the vioxx..dunno)...the doctor will need to see the ingredients because there's no ortho-tricyclen here...just an equivalent...still works just as well, though!   ;D

Sponsored Links