Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Me and my Android  (Read 5527 times)

Re: Me and my Android
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 08:13:01 AM »
Well, will your sister keep her Blackberry?  Even if I went for a newer Crackberry, my sister has switched to an iPhone, and the bulk of my family who finally have cell phone coverage (when I went to visit them in late 2006, I got no bars except for one spot in town.  The wonders of semi-rural mountain life) are all going for iPhones or cheapy cells.  So, I'd have a great phone for email and a PIN, but no one to talk to on messenger.

There are some free chat apps in the Android market.  Because I am still on Donut (hopefully not for much longer), there might be more that you can get on Eclair or Froyo that I don't know about.  I have Meebo (free) which integrates most IM messengers plus FB or Myspace chat.  

Some Android phones do have a physical keypad.  I don't know how many are available in the UK, but the Cliq comes to mind.  However, I wouldn't bother with the Cliq as there are newer devices.

Besides the mostly free apps, being able to change your battery and upgrade your memory, being able to almost totally customise how your phone's screens look (some models), etc., etc., there's Google web app integration.  That means if you use something like Google calender or voice, the corresponding app for your phone updates/works the same.

Here's a forum with a tonne of information on it:
http://androidforums.com/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 08:55:23 AM by Legs Akimbo »

• Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 10:47:04 AM »
Thanks! I have no idea what any of that means but will get my husband to look at it with me when my phone is up for upgrade soon! Thanks again!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
looking at switching over to a droid phone and remembered this thread.  Anyone have any experience with the new Samsung Galaxy S I9000?  I'm being tempted by that one.  Think I've narrowed it to that or to the Desire.  I've wanted an Iphone, but Apple's resistance to listening to customer concerns and banking on us remaining loyal has left a bad taste in my mouth--plus I've found out the tariff is lower for the droid phones.  I get the feeling the newest ones really are as competitive as the iPhone.  I wouldn't have said that a year or two ago.  What think ye?

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 09:28:30 PM »
There are features of most Android phones which are better than the iPhone, regardless of if it's an old phone or not.  I don't know about the Samsung phone you mentioned, but most people I know who have the Desire love it.  However, as much as I love HTC products, how they handled the update for Hero (sort of like the Desire of last summer rather than this spring) really disappointed me.  I wouldn't say avoid them, but they definitely could have handled things better.

With an Android phone, you will likely get a better camera, multi-tasking, and customization (custom homescreen(s), icons, colours, the newer ones even allowing animated wallpaper), Android market with more free aps (although admittedly some aren't as snazzy as for the iPhone, there's no lack of fun, useful, and cool aps).

iPhone 4 vs Galaxy
iPhone 4 versus Samsung I9000 GALAXY S - iOS 4 vs. Android 2.1
Samsung Galaxy S i9000 VS iPhone 4 (Part 1)

iPhone 3Gs vs Desire
HTC Desire vs. iPhone 3G S Review - by Gazelle.com

iPhone 4 vs Desire
Apple iPhone 4 vs. HTC Desire Video Review - by Gazelle.com

• Liked: 163
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »
However, as much as I love HTC products, how they handled the update for Hero (sort of like the Desire of last summer rather than this spring) really disappointed me.  I wouldn't say avoid them, but they definitely could have handled things better.

Could you elaborate?  I've been waffling over getting a smart phone, and I'm interested to hear about your experience with HTC.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »
Could you elaborate?  I've been waffling over getting a smart phone, and I'm interested to hear about your experience with HTC.

You can read a bit about it here.
Basically, the Hero came out here late summer '09.  HTC promised an update to Eclair (Android 2.1) before the end of '09 (meaning that it would come early '10).  I got mine in March.  We were told the update would be in April.  Then May.  Then June.  I am still waiting for my second update from Orange to download Eclair.  Meanwhile, the rest of the Android world has moved onto Froyo (2.2) and either has it or is going to be updated for it.  Honestly, this was not all HTC's fault, however, I think that part of it was to encourage more people to pick up the Desire.  I could have waited a bit for Desire, but it would have increased my tariff.

Honestly, it wouldn't keep me from getting another HTC phone (they are indeed beautiful phones), but I'd definitely not get something that's been out a few months if a new phone is in the wings about to be released.  We are definitely considering switching from Orange at the end of our contract for this and other reasons.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:45:19 AM by Legs Akimbo »

• Liked: 163
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 10:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the info, LA!

• Liked: 36
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »
Hi ya

I've had HTC handsets since around 2002 and never had any issues with them at all. Yes, I was more of a 'light' user, so perhaps didn't push them to closer to their limits to experience any major problems, but with all the stories out there, I didn't experience them. Windows OS is a little tedious I agree, but like anything, once you get used to it's little foibles it was fine. I used to run GPS software, SPB utilities software and a couple of other little programs and no issues.

I'm now on the HTC HD2 and get on fine with it, the Sense overlay or user interface works very well for me.

My other phone line I'm probably going to get an Android and get used to that and use it a little more :)

There again with business requirements, I 'might' just have to bow and get my first 'Apple' product in the shape of an iPod - second hand of course! no way I'm paying for the extra snazziness tax apple put on their products!

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
The only complaint I have with HTC is the inexcusable delay in update to Eclair for Hero.  This wasn't a minor update.  It added such functionality to Hero as bluetooth file transfer, improved the graphics and performance noticeably, and added some things that are nice little extras.  This is a version of the OS that was released in December '09.  I just finished my second and final update for it last night.  Hero was released in the UK in late Summer '09 in the UK and later elsewhere.  HTC said it will be getting no more updates to the OS.  I am far from a power user, but I am glad that we at least got Eclair now that everyone else is getting Froyo (and Gingerbread is being programmed).  I notice the difference as what is probably a "medium" user.

That said, everything else about HTC has been great.  I think that the delay is sort of a symptom of the need for companies to have people trade in their phones as frequently as possible.  It used to be that a certain number of people did this anyway, but I think a goal is to increase this to ensure a steady revenue stream for both the manufacturers and the companies.  Now a year on, Hero isn't going to be updated again.  That on the surface isn't that incredible.  It's a phone that was released about a year ago.  Yet, we're talking about an update that by rights should have been available to its users of the (then) top of the line HTC phone within a half a year of its release.

Of course companies, whether mobile companies or manufacturers update software for hardware you've already purchased (or signed a contract for) is up to them unless the hardware is defective without the update.  However, leaving people who have shelled out a considerable amount recently without updates is not always the best way to keep customers. It's also not the best policy for the environment to expect people to trade in for a new phone every 6 months or so.

As I said, this won't keep me from HTC for my next phone, but it may help keep me from Orange.

• British by descent
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
So I bit the bullet and just bought an HTC off eBay. I'm really tired of my iPhone continually deciding it has no carrier (likely because it's a US one that's jailbroken/unlocked, but still...). Plus I'd like to try out the Android system. I figure if I don't like it I can always sell it again on eBay, but I have a feeling I'll like it. And with selling my old phones, I think I'll have made money on the whole deal :D
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 4
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
loving my phone at the moment, but I'm annoyed b/c I can't find an app for skype.  I was really looking forward to accessing it on my android--everyone told me I could.  It looks like there used to be an app, which got pulled to make way for one they think is better, but that only is compatible with a few phones.  They have an iPhone app, but nothing for Android, and I am sooooo sad/angry about that.

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
loving my phone at the moment, but I'm annoyed b/c I can't find an app for skype.  I was really looking forward to accessing it on my android--everyone told me I could.  It looks like there used to be an app, which got pulled to make way for one they think is better, but that only is compatible with a few phones.  They have an iPhone app, but nothing for Android, and I am sooooo sad/angry about that.

It's not compatible with my phone either and I have a SE handset.   :(  Hopefully they'll expand their handset compatability (I'm assuming its under contract more than down to compatability) soon!

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »
So I bit the bullet and just bought an HTC off eBay. I'm really tired of my iPhone continually deciding it has no carrier (likely because it's a US one that's jailbroken/unlocked, but still...). Plus I'd like to try out the Android system. I figure if I don't like it I can always sell it again on eBay, but I have a feeling I'll like it. And with selling my old phones, I think I'll have made money on the whole deal :D

Cool.  So which HTC phone did you get?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:12:57 PM by Legs Akimbo »

• British by descent
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
Cool.  So which HTC phone did you get?

Oops, thought I included that. ;) I went with the Desire, a friend has one and really likes it.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »
They're meant to be great phones.  I sort of wish I had waited a couple of months for it to come out.

Sponsored Links