Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Filing US taxes  (Read 546 times)

• Liked: 0
Filing US taxes
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:10:41 PM »
Hello! Apologies for posting a question that is probably terribly easy to answer, but after five years in the UK I'm ashamed to say I've never filed taxes in the US and should probably do something about it. I'm finally looking at the IRS site. I've made no income in the US since 2004, when I was a teaching assistant. God knows what sort of mail has been showing up asking me for things (I am very bad with paperwork) but can anyone point me in a general direction? Obviously I have no W2s. I don't make much money in the UK and am well under the threshold. One thing I'm not sure how to deal with is I do have bank accounts and some stocks in the US- I doubt I owe money but I think I'd need some paperwork to demonstrate how much money I have. Thanks for any help or comments.

• Liked: 111
Re: Filing US taxes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:15:52 PM »
Hello Molly,
It seems as if everyone has left you hanging here, so just some quick thoughts. I've put a link below to the ACA site which covers non-filer situations. It's very out of date, especially regarding the just passed HIRE Act which could affect you, and it may be a tad scary. I can't comment on your specific situation, other than to say it's becoming increasingly difficult for anyone to stay 'out of sight' these days.

You should seek professional UK/US tax advice (which I am not) and if that's not convenient, then you may want to consider contacting the IRS directly. You may or may not have been required to file, but you'll never know unless you talk to someone with the appropriate knowledge.

http://www.aca.ch/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=227&Itemid=46

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab