Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The evils of dairy?  (Read 1461 times)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
The evils of dairy?
« on: August 12, 2004, 12:41:09 PM »
I've been reading lately about the evils of dairy...and to tell you the truth, when you think objectively about the wisdom of consuming the breast milk (if you can call it that) of another SPECIES--well, it is a rather vile concept.

Read this:

'Cow's milk was never designed for human consumption. Think about it. Cow's milk was designed for a calf--not a human! I know we have been completely conditioned to believe otherwise, but if we can be at home to Mr. Common Sense for just a minute it should become crystal clear that not only was cow's milk not designed for human consumption, but as an adult mammal, we should not be drinking any kind of milk. We are the only adult mammals who drink milk after weaning age--even cows don't drink milk. Do you honestly believe that you would ever, no matter how thirsty you were, jump over a fence, kneel down and start sucking on a cow's udder? Would anyone in their right mind do this? What would you think if you were driving along and saw a family of four in a field, all under a cow sucking milk from it? Would you think, 'How natural, how wholesome'? Or would you pick up your mobile and phone the police?

'We have been taught all our lives that cow's milk was as natural and as normal for humans to eat as fruit. In fact, it became compulsory to have in schools. "Good for the bones", "Excellent for your teeth" was and is the cry of doctors and teachers alike. No wonder most people are under the misapprehension that the milk from cows is a good source of calcium and an excellent protein. What they don't explain is that the protein found in cow's milk is chemically bound to the calcium. In order to digest this and utilize the portein and calcium we need two digestive enzymes--rennin and lactase. Rennin and lactase help to separate the calcium and protein in order for the body to benefit from its goodness. However, and this is a big however, after the age of three we stop producing the enzyme rennin and most people lose the ability to prduce lactase--hence so many 'lactose intolerant' people. We were designed to drink milk, of course, but this was only as babies and only our own species' milk in an unpasteurized form. What we are not meant to have is pasteurized (dead) milk which was designed for a species with four stomachs.' --Jason Vale

Well, that got me thinking. And I've been familiar for years with the website www.notmilk.com. Which I advise you, is not for the faint-hearted.

Anyway, all this to say that I have been toying with the idea of going dairy-free, have whittled my dairy consumption down to a couple tablespoons a day in my morning coffee, and will probably be phasing that out soon. I've reduced my processed food intake dramatically and so don't have to worry about the milk that might appear there.

Here's the question: Who else is dairy-free? How long have you been? What tips do you have for me??

• Dharma in the Dishes
Re: The evils of dairy?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 01:16:55 PM »
http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.txt

Here's a letter from a doctor you might be interested in...

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 02:26:18 PM »
I completely and totally respect your views and your desire to go "dairy free".  However, I'm curious to know how you plan to get your calcium intake.  As we all know, women (and even men) are prone to serious health risks without a "safe/healthy" dose of the bone-helping stuff. 

If, as I assume you will, you plan to take a supplement, answer me this:  Did nature intend us to pop pills for our daily vitimin and mineral intake?  Or did nature provide those neccesities through her other deeds (foods in the form of plant and animal life...yeah, I know, we are not "carnivores" either).

Dairy products, no dairy product...vegan or carnivore.  Makes no never mind to me, I just prefer that people eat healthy what ever thier beliefs towards foods may be.  I'm always curious on how people incorporate needed things into thier diets....

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 02:33:40 PM »
If, as I assume you will, you plan to take a supplement, answer me this:  Did nature intend us to pop pills for our daily vitimin and mineral intake?  Or did nature provide those neccesities through her other deeds (foods in the form of plant and animal life...yeah, I know, we are not "carnivores" either).

Very good point, Frances.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 02:37:42 PM »
How much calcium do we need?

Age             Daily calcium requirement
4 to 8          800 mg
9 to 18         1300 mg
19 to 50      1000 mg
50+             1500 mg
pregnant or lactating women 18+             1000 mg

A Few Sources of Calcium other than cow's milk
Food               Amount   Calcium (mg)
Soy or ricemilk, commercial,                   8 ounces   150-500
   calcium-fortified, plain
Collard greens, cooked         1 cup      357
Blackstrap molasses         2 Tbsp      342
Tofu, processed with calcium
   sulfate*                      4 ounces             200-330
Calcium-fortified orange juice               8 ounces                        300
Commercial soy yogurt, plain               6 ounces                  250
Turnip greens, cooked         1 cup      249
Tofu, processed with nigari*               4 ounces               80-230
Kale, cooked             1 cup      179
Okra, cooked            1 cup      176
Soybeans, cooked                         1 cup      175
Sesame seeds            2 Tbsp      160
Bok choy, cooked                         1 cup      158
Tempeh               1 cup      154
Mustard greens, cooked         1 cup      152
Figs, dried or fresh                        5 medium                    135
Tahini               2 Tbsp      128
Almonds               1/4 cup      97
Broccoli, cooked                         1 cup      94
Almond butter            2 Tbsp      86
Soymilk, commercial, plain                     8 ounces               80

The tables have gone a bit wonky but the information comes from the osteoporosis website.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 02:40:32 PM by Carla »

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 02:43:59 PM »
I am familliar with this debate as well.  I think, as far as getting needed calcium, it's a whole lot more difficult to do it now - in these times of over processed foods and supposedly healthy foods that have been grown in once nutrient rich soil - but has now been stripped.  Healthy foods are more and more difficult to find, and are always more expensive when one does find them.  I mean, there are some vegetables that once-upon-a-time were a good source of calcium....and, if they STILL contained the amount they once did, well we could all give up taking supliments and drinking moo-juice permanently.  I just don't think in the times in which we live that it is possible to get all the nutirients (vitamins and minerals and enzymes) we need without taking supliments.....but, there again, THOSE are expensive, too. ::)  It's all very frustrating.
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 02:48:11 PM »
hey look, i'm not trying to start anything. i was just wondering if anyone else was not consuming cow's milk. no one needs to worry about my calcium intake!  ::)

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 03:08:29 PM »
I wouldn't describe dairy as "evil" (although I've seen the way some cows look at me, as if they're planning something...something dark and unimaginably wicked..*shiver*).

I switched from yogurts and milk to Soya Fresh, and as if by magic, a couple of skin problems completely disappeared - might be a happy coincidence but I'm keeping the faith. Still, nothing will get me to stop eating cheese. Mmm...cheddar.

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 03:13:45 PM »
LOL Mr. Nibbles...and 'evil' was meant to be ironic. :)

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 03:18:58 PM »
I will always eat dairy.  I grew up on  a DAIRY farm and my ancestors would be spinning in their graves.  And why trek all over buying frankly bizarre and expensive ingredients when you can just buy good old milk and cheese and yogurt and ice-cream.

Support your local dairy farmer.  Drink Milk.   :)

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 03:19:42 PM »
Ah yes, ironic. Like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife?

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 03:20:17 PM »
I wouldn't describe dairy as "evil" (although I've seen the way some cows look at me, as if they're planning something...something dark and unimaginably wicked..*shiver*).

I switched from yogurts and milk to Soya Fresh, and as if by magic, a couple of skin problems completely disappeared - might be a happy coincidence but I'm keeping the faith. Still, nothing will get me to stop eating cheese. Mmm...cheddar.

Yeah....and cows get away with all sorts of things....like, when we were in Glastonbury and climbing the Tor (huff, puff, huff, puff) there were signs all over the place saying "Stay off the grass".  But, where do you think the cows were?  Yep, yep....on the grass, of course. :P  My fiance' - who is a photographer - took a picture of the cows with the sign and entitled the pic "Above The Law".  LOL.  Anyway....

Mr. Nibbles, I have heard of quite a few people that, when they stopped drinking milk, their skin cleared up.  They could still eat cheese and yogurt because of the different ways those are processed. 
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 03:21:53 PM »
Like a free ride when you've already paid....or maybe like good advice that you just didn't take. hehe

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 03:27:03 PM »
They could still eat cheese and yogurt because of the different ways those are processed. 

Good news! Extra cheese for me  [smiley=chef.gif]

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 04:22:17 PM »
My son is vegan...lots of soy-based products and almonds! I don't drink fluid cows milk...but I love yogurt and cheeses!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab