Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Eating Habits  (Read 4308 times)

Eating Habits
« on: August 12, 2004, 08:35:17 PM »
OK, I don't know if this is weird or not, but I have to ask.  My DH when eating any meal will cut a piece of everything on his plate in that single forkful!  I notice most people here do that, a lot of our friends his whole family.  I have never seen this before, ever!!!!  Is this common in the UK?  Have people or do people do the same in America? 

There he goes, a piece of sausage, piece of fried bread, beans and ketchup!  I just don't get it!!!  I eat one thing at a time, enjoy the flavor, unless it's fajita's or something like that.

Yes, we are having a fry-up :P  I am having no beans or bread though.

Re: Eating Habits
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 09:07:58 PM »
I'd say that's a UK thing as my in-laws do it.  Drives me nuts to sit and watch them eat.  Fortunately, Frank doesn't do that.  I'd have to break him of that habit if he did!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 09:11:50 PM »
really don't people in the US do that? i mean i sometimes do it and sometimes not, it just depends what i'm eating, but i do like a bit of mash with my bit of sausage and a bit of ketchup on it!

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 09:14:30 PM »
really don't people in the US do that? i mean i sometimes do it and sometimes not, it just depends what i'm eating, but i do like a bit of mash with my bit of sausage and a bit of ketchup on it!

I'm sure there are some people in the US who eat that way but it is definitely not the norm.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 09:22:50 PM »

I'm sure there are some people in the US who eat that way but it is definitely not the norm.

Yeah, not the norm at all!  I'm glad I'm not the only one!

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 10:07:48 PM »
Funny, I was just thinking about that today. My theory is that's why so many UK folks will eat the salad garnish without salad dressing. It's because they eat it with their other things.

I've got pretty used to it. The DF does eat like that most of the time. I can't really eat that way but I am less militant about 'food mixing' than I used to be!  ;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 07:04:01 AM »
I like the way they use their knife to carefully wipe the sauce or whatever onto the gob of food they've skewered onto the fork, then cram the whole thing into their mouth with the fork upside down. LOL

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 08:37:00 AM »

I eat like that, Liz - a little bit of almost everything on the fork/in the spoon.  Not to the extent that Phil does, where he actually mixes it on the plate - I just pretty much mix it just before eating!  :)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 08:39:11 AM »
The only times I do this are with pancakes and sausage...I like to have a bit of both in eat bite...and with anything that's served w/ mashed potatoes...I want those in every bite, too!

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 12:20:45 PM »
I eat like that, Liz - a little bit of almost everything on the fork/in the spoon.  Not to the extent that Phil does, where he actually mixes it on the plate - I just pretty much mix it just before eating!  :)

I've started eating more like that lately - first it was because I was tired of people watching the way I ate (and ironically my mum drilled good manners into me, so in the US I eat exceedingly politely and yet here I get looked at funny! LOL) but the side-effect that it's had has been to slow down my eating A LOT. And since I'm trying to shed some excess weight, that's been a good thing! Eating with your fork upside down whilst holding your knife definitely takes concentration for an American!!  ;D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 02:54:22 PM »
I think they take a forkful of everything to make what they are eating have more flavor  ;D

I find the foods here a little boring unles you are having a curry. In the U.S. we mix up the foods too but it may not be as noticeable since we don't usually use a knife and fork for everything. For instance, when you eat a Taco it has meat, salad and tortilla-or eggs and toast with bacon or ham-or meat and garlic mashed potatos. Hoew about strawberries and waffles? I think it's really just a cultural thing.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 03:05:14 PM »
I'm a mixer. Never really noticed whether other people did or not until I saw that they did here...and that's one of the things that I felt completely at home with. AND, I can now eat and mix without having to change hands! How cool is that? (But now I feel a little self conscious eating in the US.) LOL.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 02:32:14 PM »
I'm not a mixer but the rest of my new family is.  Especially my husband.  Strangely enough on our first vacation together.  He reminded me so much of my brothers that it was comforting.  He ate like my oldest brother, stacking everything on the fork, his sense of humor is like my next oldest brother and he had a goatee like my youngest.  lol  But yeah the mixing thing is NOT my thing.  But it doesn't bother me in the least that they eat that way and I don't. 
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 03:09:19 PM »
Am I the only one who is sick of the *claim* that English food is bland?  >:(
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 03:18:59 PM »
Am I the only one who is sick of the *claim* that English food is bland?  >:(

Who says that?!  I don't think English food is bland!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab