Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Eating Habits  (Read 4309 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Eating Habits
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2004, 03:40:55 PM »

Who says that?!  I don't think English food is bland!

I think this is a bit of a myth that just won't die. Like London being 'foggy'. And in general I would say it is indeed a load of poo. But I do think that compared to what I am used to in the US, many of the Brits I know here are much more conservative about the food they like or will try. I expect if I had lived in Iowa, that woudn't be the case. I can't tell you how many boring, overcooked and, yes, bland, things I've had to eat with my DF's family. But my family are adventuresome cooks and his family are products of WW2 rationing and wouldn't know an herb or spice if it bit them.

That said, I think if you follow British contemporary cooking at all, you have no business buying into the blanket 'British food is bland' statement.

My other thought though, is that I think when Americans travel, they are at least more willing to try new things. I'm not sure there's an American equivalent of the Costa del Sol with all the British style restaurants that are found there instead of good Spanish food. That's just my experience, though.  :-\\\\
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2004, 06:28:39 PM »
I said it. It is not a claim or a myth, it is my opinion. I find British food bland. Not that I don't like bland but I prefer my food more spicey. You can get a spicey Curry but that's not really British is it? Anyone want to inform me of British Food that isn't bland? The only thing I can think of, so far, is Pork Roast with Crackling but that's about it.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2004, 07:02:49 PM »
I think some of this 'bland' label may have come from the cooking styles of the older generations.  For instance, my MIL absolutely flipped when I wanted to add spices to roast beef or veggies.  "Oh no, dear, we don't use any spices.  It's good just the way it is."
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2004, 07:08:55 PM »
I said it. It is not a claim or a myth, it is my opinion. I find British food bland. Not that I don't like bland but I prefer my food more spicey. You can get a spicey Curry but that's not really British is it? Anyone want to inform me of British Food that isn't bland? The only thing I can think of, so far, is Pork Roast with Crackling but that's about it.

Well apparently our national dish is Chicken Tikka Massala so I suppose curry is as British as anything else.  American food would be pretty bland too if you took away the Mexican and Creole influences. American mustard is pretty damned bland if you ask me, I'll take English mustard over that any day.

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2004, 07:09:22 PM »
I think some of this 'bland' label may have come from the cooking styles of the older generations.  For instance, my MIL absolutely flipped when I wanted to add spices to roast beef or veggies.  "Oh no, dear, we don't use any spices.  It's good just the way it is."

I'd say that be true too.Hubby is same way,and also  doesnt understand why I use butter and milk in my mashed tatters  :o

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2004, 07:15:14 PM »
American food would be pretty bland too if you took away the Mexican and Creole influences

That can be said too LOL.Our cuisine is influnced by alot of other countries; China,Korea,Italy, Mexican etc.... :) Yummy

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2004, 08:02:29 PM »

Exactly...I have to sneak spice into anything I cook for the in-laws. If they don't know it's there, they don't seem to mind it, but if they do, the FIL espcially gets bent out of shape.

And while we're on the subject... what is 'American' food anyway? As Britwife says, Tikka Masala is the UK national dish theses day. It's not like hotdogs and hamburgers are exactly spicy and they are quintessentially American. And I know plenty of Americans who are 'meat and potatoes' eaters who don't go for much Italian or Mexican or whatever.

It's a funny old world...  :)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2004, 09:17:15 PM »
So then, it's not really a "claim" or a "Myth" is it?  ;)
I agree there really isn't anything "American" other than Burgers and Hot Dogs and everything is influenced one way or the other by different cultures. When I say "British Food", what's British food? Bangers & Mash? bubble & Squeek? I think of British food as Pub Grub and to me it's bland.

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2004, 06:36:48 AM »
Anyone want to inform me of British Food that isn't bland?

Haggis isnt bland.
Also Islay beef & lamb... the animals eat seaweed and cast-off malt & by-products from the whisky distilleries, and it gives the meat an incredible flavour.... you dont need sauce or gravy, you just savour the meat. (for those who eat meat, of course!)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 10:08:57 AM by Broxi »

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2004, 07:46:48 AM »
I expect if I had lived in Iowa, that woudn't be the case. I can't tell you how many boring, overcooked and, yes, bland, things I've had to eat with my DF's family.

Hey, hey now!  I'm from the Iowa area!  And not everyone in Iowa cooks that way!  Me included!

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2004, 07:58:30 AM »
So then, it's not really a "claim" or a "Myth" is it?  ;)
I agree there really isn't anything "American" other than Burgers and Hot Dogs and everything is influenced one way or the other by different cultures. When I say "British Food", what's British food? Bangers & Mash? bubble & Squeek? I think of British food as Pub Grub and to me it's bland.

It's a matter of individual taste, isn't it?  I don't mind a bit of spice in my food, and enjoy a good curry like many Brits, but I could never understand why folks who prefer spicey food feel the need to puff their chests out about it and look down their noses at others who perhaps don't care for spicey food and other types of foods they consider "bland".  It seems to me that in today's world in which we live we're all very lucky to have so many options and varieties of foods open to us.  You know, to each their own.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2004, 09:30:39 AM »

Hey, hey now!  I'm from the Iowa area!  And not everyone in Iowa cooks that way!  Me included!

I'm sure you don't darlin'! I was just thinking of what I would have been eating if I had grown up in Iowa near all my family from there. They do eat pretty bland stuff... though all fresh off the farm.

I could never understand why folks who prefer spicey food feel the need to puff their chests out about it and look down their noses at others who perhaps don't care for spicey food and other types of foods they consider "bland". 

Ditto. I love food from all cuisines, but I have a very low tolerance for hot spicy. If it's a curry, I have to have yogurt, if it's mexican, sour cream, etc. Over the last few years I've got a bit better, but compared to much of my family and friends, I'm a real wimp!

I read somewhere that those who can't tolerate lots of heat in their food actually have more developed taste buds than those who can... So I'm just better than all of you anyway!!  ;) ;D

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2004, 09:40:29 AM »
I'm sure you don't darlin'! I was just thinking of what I would have been eating if I had grown up in Iowa near all my family from there. They do eat pretty bland stuff... though all fresh off the farm.

Well that's just the thing, isn't it?  Once you add all the spices one wants to or can add, it begins to overpower that which you're adding them to, doesn't it? 

I read somewhere that those who can't tolerate lots of heat in their food actually have more developed taste buds than those who can... So I'm just better than all of you anyway!!  ;) ;D

I think there's definitely something to that.  I noticed that when I was eating a lot of processed sugar stuffs, if I were to then eat something like grapes or kiwi, it tasted tart and sour.  But when I stopped eating processed sugar and just ate fruit, the fruit then became sweet. 

I definitely think with the way people eat these days desensitises a person's sense of taste sometimes.  How many people do you know who would eat a simple raw carrot and say it was yummy?  Most folks wouldn't dream of eating a carrot without something on it.  But it gets to the point where one is having a little carrot with their dip, dressing, spice, whatever rather than using the condiment to enhance the flavour of the actual vegetable. 

Just a thought or two really.

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2004, 10:07:35 AM »

I think there's definitely something to that.  I noticed that when I was eating a lot of processed sugar stuffs, if I were to then eat something like grapes or kiwi, it tasted tart and sour.  But when I stopped eating processed sugar and just ate fruit, the fruit then became sweet. 

Thats a good point.
I've got the book of 'You Are What You Eat', and the author talks about this.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2004, 10:09:48 AM »

My other thought though, is that I think when Americans travel, they are at least more willing to try new things. I'm not sure there's an American equivalent of the Costa del Sol with all the British style restaurants that are found there instead of good Spanish food. That's just my experience, though.  :-\\\\

It's called McDonalds! ;)
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab