Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Iceland: Volcano disrupts flights in UK and other European countries  (Read 9203 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Iceland: Volcano disrupts flights in UK and other European countries
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
Update on BBC news:

UK airspace now closed until at least 7am tomorrow morning and could extend beyond this time. ROI airspace is also closed with the same restrictions.

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
This is horrible news all around.

I hope that when I fly to Manchester next Wed/Thursday that everything will be clear and there wont be any cancellations.  EEK!
 :-\\\\

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »
Upon hearing the news this morning I'm grateful my visa hasn't been issued yet.  We would have tried to fly out this week and I can't imagine being stranded somewhere with 3 kids!  There's always a silver lining after all  ;D

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »
One of my friends is stuck in Houston at the moment - she was supposed to fly back to the UK today, but her flight was delayed 4 hours (due to a technical problem), then their plane took off, got to Canada, then had to turn around and go back to Houston again! The ironic thing is though that the whole reason she was travelling today was because she takes measurements from volcanic ash clouds for her PhD research and was on her way back from collecting data from volcanic plumes in Nicaragua!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »
There's always a silver lining after all  ;D

That'll be caused by the ash!  ;D
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »
Ksand thats a bizarre coincidence about your friend.

When i woke up this morning and was drifting in and out of sleep all I heard was all the UK airports were shut...quite the scare for first thing in the AM.

Once I knew the story I figured it was just because pilots wouldn't be able to navigate through it. I had now idea about how distructive it could be!
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

• Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »
Saw this in the AM from the NY Times: Made me want to cry

Jai Purohit, a manager from Leicester, England, who had planned fly to the United States to join his wife on vacation in Florida, said: “It’s very sad. I bought some nice presents for my wife and was looking forward to spending some time with her. She’s naturally upset, but there’s nothing we can do. It’s understandable.”

I know its for the best because of safety and all but still, you have to feel for them! I would be devestated after all the built up excitement of a visit. That said, hopefully it will clear soon and he can fly out.

This BETTER clear by next Friday so DF can fly to Florida  :P

"One does not have to be rough to be strong; one can be gentle and persistent and still achieve results"

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:57 PM »
My BIL is stuck at Dublin airport. He was supposed to fly to Prague for a wedding. The guy is Czech, but the bride is Irish and all her family and friends are stuck in Ireland. The wedding is tomorrow at 1pm and even if they get a flight out in the morning they'll miss the wedding. THOSE are people I feel bad for!

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »
Emmylou, if his flight is cancelled he'll get a full refund.

DH is supposed to run in the Boston Marathon on Monday. We've paid for our accommodation and my parents are meeting us for the week.  :-\\\\

Oh no! That would be horrible to miss! Hopefully things clear soon and y'all can get there!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
Oh no! That would be horrible to miss! Hopefully things clear soon and y'all can get there!

Thanks Emmylou and Gottagettolondon. Even if we can't go until Sunday we'll still go and he'll run on Monday. Fingers crossed!

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 06:10:10 PM »
Thanks Emmylou and Gottagettolondon. Even if we can't go until Sunday we'll still go and he'll run on Monday. Fingers crossed!

At least the jet lag will work in his favor! I did a 10k (not at ALL a marathon!) the morning after returning from a month long visit to Europe. It was my fastest time on that course! Good luck to him and to you so you can see your family!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
At least the jet lag will work in his favor! I did a 10k (not at ALL a marathon!) the morning after returning from a month long visit to Europe. It was my fastest time on that course! Good luck to him and to you so you can see your family!

DH was thinking the same thing about jet lag!  ;D Good news from Aer Lingus. Right now they're reporting that the US-bound flights are still scheduled to go tomorrow.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »
Does anyone know when it will clear and flights will be moving again?  I know 6 pm tonight...but will it really?

???

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 07:27:26 PM »
Does anyone know when it will clear and flights will be moving again?  I know 6 pm tonight...but will it really?

???

The last I heard on the news was that they've changed it to 7am tomorrow (Friday).
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »

???

Just keep checking your airline's website. Aer Lingus flights from Dublin to the UK and mainland Europe are cancelled until 1pm on Friday.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab