Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to travel from London to Gloucester  (Read 4670 times)

• Liked: 0
How to travel from London to Gloucester
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
We will be traveling from US to London in 2 weeks. Our final destination will be Gloucester. I need advise on how to travel with ca. 6 or more big suitcases from London to Gloucester. Renting a car would be an hassle, since neither of us have experience in driving a car in UK. And after long hours of flight.....dunno.

We also have a 5 year old with us. Thankful for any suggestions.

Re: How to travel from London to Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:14:06 PM »
The easiest and cheapest way, if not the fastest, is a National Express coach. The bus drivers do move your luggage under the bus for you (you wouldn't have to worry about schlepping it around and finding a place for it like you would on the train). They offer direct service to Gloucester from London. However, if you have more than six pieces you may be out of luck, here's the luggage info (http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/ourservice/luggage_policy.aspx).

I wouldn't try getting that much luggage on a tube and than a train, especially with a kid in tow. Eep!  :o

I know you want to avoid it, but renting a car might be the easiest way to do this.

Good luck!
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
I would check into MegaBus in the UK and see if they offer a bus ride there from London.  They are very cheap usually, and they have under the bus storage for suitcases (I would check about carrying 6 though).

Otherwise a train....I would think they have a train that runs there. ???

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »
Otherwise a train....I would think they have a train that runs there. ???

First Great Western run trains from Paddington to Gloucester; direct trains (no changes en route) roughly every 2 hours; journey time 1 hour 56 minutes; In between these there are other trains that leave every 30 minutes or so, journey time 2 hrs to 2hrs 40 mins approx  but you have to change en route, usually Bristol Parkway or Swindon.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »
With a small child and that much luggage, there's no way I'd use public transit.  I think driving is your easiest option, despite the concerns over driving in the UK after a long-haul flight.  The hassles you will face using public transit will easily eclipse those of renting a car.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »
Just saw this site listed in a magazine, http://www.anyvan.com/. Basically you set up an auction for someone to move your stuff and companies bid to take your stuff where you need them to. Might be worth a look.
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 163
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
With a small child and that much luggage, there's no way I'd use public transit.  I think driving is your easiest option, despite the concerns over driving in the UK after a long-haul flight.  The hassles you will face using public transit will easily eclipse those of renting a car.

I'm with Geeta; no way I'd try to do a trip with 6 suitcases and a child on public transport.  (The thought of dragging suitcases up and down however many sets of stairs - blah.)  If you don't want to rent a car, you might be able to book the trip through a car service.  I know it sounds expensive, but a train ticket from Heathrow to Gloucester would run between £20 and £120 depending on how much in advance you purchase and what time you want to go.

A company I work for uses Abbey Cars in London (http://www.abbeycarsuk.co.uk/index.html).  I don't know how expensive they are (the company pays for it), but their drivers are all friendly.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
Reference not wanting to drive a car when you arrive. I'm with you on that. I'm experienced with driving in the UK but I dread the drive on the motorways after being on the plane for so long. There is also the hassle of going to the rental office for the car. When I was last there there wasn't rental counter in the airport so you would have to drag everything (six large suit cases)on the shuttle bus to the rental office and then stand in line for 40" then the rental company will want $500 deposit for insurance. This was my experience. If you are with Hertz you maybe OK with not having to pay the deposit but I was with National or Alamo and each customer had to fight with the agent over the deposit. No deposit no car. Your not in the US anymore.
 I go with the express bus suggestion.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
If they are flying into Heathrow, the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect trains will take them direct to Paddington where the Gloucester train will be on the same level.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 01:48:23 AM »
If they are flying into Heathrow, the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect trains will take them direct to Paddington where the Gloucester train will be on the same level.

I'm still thinking of those 6 oversize suitcases.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 04:39:45 AM »
Thank you so much for all your advises. We definetly don't want to drive. It will be our first time in UK. If it wouldn't be the right driving it would be ok, but definetly nooo.
I am going to check the links you have provided. So much help here.....:)
Any other advises?? Any suggestion is helpful.

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 05:48:13 AM »
Like someone said, Heathrow Express to Paddington and then Paddington to Gloucester by train.  No stairs if you do it that way.. 6 suitcases will be a bear though.  Can you narrow down how much luggage you bring?  I've done the tube by myself with 3 large bags but oh man did it suck. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 2
  • Location: North Norfolk, with a foothold in New York State still ....
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
Like someone said, Heathrow Express to Paddington and then Paddington to Gloucester by train.  No stairs if you do it that way.. 6 suitcases will be a bear though.  Can you narrow down how much luggage you bring?  I've done the tube by myself with 3 large bags but oh man did it suck. 
I agree with this.  Obviously, travelling with a child and six suitcases is a challenge however you do it.  But Heathrow Express to Paddington and Paddington to Gloucester by train is a very good option, although relatively expensive.

The Heathrow Express trains are designed for people with lots of luggage, and are far easier than trying to take the tube.  The interchange at Paddington should be pretty easy, especially if you already have your tickets in hand.

No way would I choose to drive.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 10:11:02 AM »
The problem with Heathrow express you are still going down escalators (I don't recall seeing any elevators) and with 6 luggages and a kid, it would be hard for you to lug it up and down all in one go.

I can't remember name the service on the top of my head but there is a place in Heathrow that does luggage delivery.  So if there aren't anything that are needed right away and you can wait a day or two to get them, you can use that service.  That way you can use the bus or the train without having to worry about having to lug everything around.  I didn't go to Glouster but when I used it it was about 42 pounds for 2 suitcases and I had the same day delivery so it might be cheaper if you can wait a day or two.
I don't remember the company I used but my husband mentions using this place a few times for his work
http://www.carrymyluggage.com/index.php
I'm sure if you look around Heathrow you can find something similar

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 11:45:32 AM »
The problem with Heathrow express you are still going down escalators (I don't recall seeing any elevators) and with 6 luggages and a kid, it would be hard for you to lug it up and down all in one go.

There are definitely elevators down to the Heathrow Express, and you can take the luggage push trolleys (and stack up your luggage for easier maneuverability) from baggage claim in the terminal almost right up to the train platform.  There are barriers at the entrance to the HE train platform, and you have to unload your luggage from the trolley at that point, get it on to the train, off of the train at Paddington and on to the next train.   

A luggage delivery service sounds ideal, though -- especially if they do it same-day.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab