Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: To-Read Lists  (Read 6584 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: To-Read Lists
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 09:03:15 AM »
Just curious which ones?  We've read all of his books (dh reads aloud for us at bed) but some of them we found disappointing.  By far, his best book was Walk in the Woods, at least in our opinion, followed closely by Notes from a Small Island.  The others have been.. disappointing.   :-\\\\

I didn't really like Walk in the Woods, though DH loved it. My fave of his is Mother Tongue - I like reading about language and words, so it was right up my alley.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 09:22:19 AM »
Then I'm buying a few books with money I got for my birthday - yay for paranormal romance by Jayne Ann Krentz!

This sounds interesting... I haven't heard of this author, but now I'm curious.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 05:50:19 PM »
I didn't really like Walk in the Woods, though DH loved it. My fave of his is Mother Tongue - I like reading about language and words, so it was right up my alley.

We laughed so much during Walk in the Woods.  I was disappointed in Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe and Down Under/In a Sunburned Country.   He can be hit and miss but in general, I like his books.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 05:16:18 PM »
this is one of my all time favourites from my childhood

That book is awesome! 

I remember loving it as a kid too, but I can't remember much detail from the story.  We just started reading it and my kids already think it's great. :)
doing laundry

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 06:06:24 PM »
I remember loving it as a kid too, but I can't remember much detail from the story.  We just started reading it and my kids already think it's great. :)

I also loved that book and was just thinking about it recently.  Where did you get your copy?  Is it easily obtainable here? 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »
Just curious which ones?  We've read all of his books (dh reads aloud for us at bed) but some of them we found disappointing.  By far, his best book was Walk in the Woods, at least in our opinion, followed closely by Notes from a Small Island.  The others have been.. disappointing.   :-\\\\

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America and Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe
My fave of his so far is Notes From A Small Island. 
Maroon Passport Club!

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »
The Lost Continent is fairly good..
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 10:15:58 AM »
I also loved that book and was just thinking about it recently.  Where did you get your copy?  Is it easily obtainable here? 

I tried to get it from our library and it wasn't available from any in our county.  The next place I checked was our local bookshop.  They didn't have it either but they're really good about ordering books and had a new paperback copy in the next day.  I just checked and, tellingly, it doesn't have a price in £ printed on the cover only the US and Canadian prices.  I don't think they sell many copies here.
doing laundry

• Snaps
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 11:11:13 AM »
OK. I've organised a new pile of books - the next ones on my list of things to read. Some modern, some classics. Some serious, some fluff. Some for the book groups I belong to, some for fun:

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller
Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
A Little Learning by Caro Fraser
The Hand that First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
Brixton Beach by Roma Tearne

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »
Bleak House is one of my very favourite books! I hope you enjoy it. My to-read list is mostly comprised of three piles of books: books to read for review, books to re-read for myself, and books currently checked out from library under the delusion that I have enough time to read them.

• Snaps
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Bleak House is one of my very favourite books! I hope you enjoy it.

I have read it, but not for over 20 years. And, because it's for my book group, I think I'm going to need a refresher. The only thing is that I prefer to read Dickens in the winter, for some reason. I love him, but it just doesn't equate to beach reading to me. More like curling up with a blanket and a cup of tea. Oh, well. If this summer is like last, I'll be fine!  :P

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »
I totally agree about Dickens. Maybe because they're such hefty books? Nearly break a sweat carrying them around!
It's been warm here in Manchester the last few days, and I keep thinking "oh no, what if this is it!?!"

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »
And this is the book I'm going to read aloud with my kids next, having just finished the last of the Little House series:  From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by e.l. konigsburg.

Intrigued. May have to look for this.  :) And I don't have kids.  :P

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 10:15:11 AM »
Jewlz may I recommend Farenheit 451 if you are looking for sci-fi 1984 type reads. :)
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24