Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: For Yanks in UK & Brits in US  (Read 4133 times)

Re: For Yanks in UK & Brits in US
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2004, 04:00:22 PM »

As outspoken as I am, I also have a fear of people...so, I tend to hide, as well.  I know, I'm a very strange dichotomy.

Nope not strange at all.Iam the same way   ;)

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2004, 09:00:41 AM »
Know what I think is funny? When my friends sit around and moan about how all the foreigners are taking over England. I always remind them that IM a foreigner. They always say "Yeah, but youre American". So does that not make me a foreigner? lol

• Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2004, 09:26:04 AM »
Ive been living here in the UK going on 2 years now and had nothing but good experiences about being American. Apparently my accent according to the majority of people is ''wicked''  ::) 

But I have to say that all of that came to an end last Monday when my husband and I attended a auction. I had my 2 yr old he was getting a bit rowdy so I took him out to this little seating area and was holding him as several people was talking about Flordia and this man was going on about the terrible time he had there and also how he hated f*cking Americans and America in general now. Im just right around the corner literally three feet away from him as he goes on and on and one woman mentions there is a American lady in the auction room and she might hear and for him to quieten down and the man goes on saying he doesnt care he still hates America and so I pop my head around the corner and say no Im not in the other room Im right here and can hear everything just fine, and I said it in the sweetest southern accent I muster, which wasnt hard since Im from Georgia.  ;)

But it was worth it as the man was clearly embarrassed and turned bright red and started stammering and saying oh I just dont like America I dont hate the people there (they always seem to try and backtrack dont they) and Im just standing there smiling sweetly and said back to him that's okay I like the UK just not some of the nob heads that live in it and walked off to the other room with the people laughing.

I guess we all have to take it in stride dont we? lol

• Liked: 12
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2004, 11:46:30 AM »
But I have to say that all of that came to an end last Monday

That's pretty amazing, Little_Evo, because almost an identical thing happened to me last Monday as well, lol (see my post!)

Must have been something in the air that day...  ::) ;D
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2004, 12:15:58 PM »
I just read your post and I think youre right there MUST have been something about that day that we didnt know about Honeybee.  ;D

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2004, 10:54:44 AM »
That brings to mind something that happened to us in London.  We were in a huge queue waiting to get on 'The Eye' (like the tourists we are).  We see this rich American lady with sunglasses on her head, burberry around her neck and a HUGE rock on her finger (you get the idea).  She sees the line. . . doesn't want to wait in it. . . . goes up to a security guard there and says 'Just exactly how LONG of a wait are we talking about' and the man replied 'about 45 minutes' to which the woman replied 'Well they LIED TO US in the shop then! They said it would only be 1/2 hour!!!'  The security guard just shrugged and pointed to the end of the line. 

Well, that was not good enough for the rich lady. . . so she stood in the front of the second line (the line splits in 2 and she basically just stood at the 1/2 way point with her mortified kids).  Oh, the English LOVED that. . .

So, when she finally got in trouble (security went over and got her ha, ha) a man behind us yells 'YUP. . it had to be an American cutting the lines!!!'  and I turned around to him with a smile and said 'well, we're not all like that. I apoligize on behalf of my country!' and he turned BRIGHT red, and ended up being in our car (glass thing on the eye).  And he was full of questions about America, etc.  He turned out to be really sweet and I think he learned his lesson! 

Besides, she WAS really obnoxious.  No offense to rich people, Burberry wearers or those with huge rocks on their fingers- I was just trying to paint the scene.   :)

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2004, 12:31:39 PM »
OMG. I cut the queu at the London Eye!  When we went to pick up the tickets, my Mom had some weird booking form/letter.  I was unsure where to go so went up to one of the stewards/guards(?) showed her the letter and she took us around the queu to an empty teller who sorted it right out.   At the time I thanked my American accent.   ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab