Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I miss the sun! :(  (Read 4501 times)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: I miss the sun! :(
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
Yeah, I hate to say it, Jewlz - but we were comparing notes at work today, and everyone seemed to agree it was at least two years since we'd had temps as warm as it was this past weekend.  One of my best mates even thought it might have been as long since the summer I first started working there, which was 4 years ago!  :o

Still we're still early on in the season like Andee said, and anything could happen!  The longterm forecast right now says it'll be middle of June before we start seeing 'more settled' weather again up here, so fingers crossed the sunnier weather will return!

You know we were talking about this when you were here, and some of our best summer hols (ok long weekends mostly) have been up exactly where you are - when the weather was gorgeous & we were at the Northumberland seaside.  Like the August bank holiday the year before you moved over.  So don't rule the sun out just yet!  ;)

Also, if you can't afford to go abroad for a holiday, what about something like self-catering somewhere further south in the UK this year?  Our Easter week break in Cornwall wasn't very expensive at all - because we went self-catering.  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 06:13:34 PM »
Summer seems officially over. Already. ::)

It can't be...it hasn't even come yet for me  :(
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »
I think I jinxed it when I said 'if this weather keeps up, I may turn blond again.'  Sorry everybody!

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
I think I jinxed it when I said 'if this weather keeps up, I may turn blond again.'  Sorry everybody!

Yeah, that was a pretty blonde thing to say.  ;)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 07:06:43 PM »
;D
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »

:P

• Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
I remember in April there being a weekend that was rather warm.  I was up in Glasgow and sitting outside with short sleeves on reading my book and drinking tea.  It last just few days like this last one but it was unseasonably warm... soooo... maybe we'll get more.  :-)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
It is now 91 F in Cambridge, MA. Sorry  :-\\\\
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 08:06:40 AM »

Maybe that caused summer to officially end!  :P :P ;D ;D

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 08:11:37 AM »
Yeah, I hate to say it, Jewlz - but we were comparing notes at work today, and everyone seemed to agree it was at least two years since we'd had temps as warm as it was this past weekend. 

I have a photo of myself in shorts and a tank top which was taken in Oxford, I think in 2007. That's the last time that I have been able to wear shorts or go sleeveless. (And it would have been colder in York.)

The last time before that when I was able to go sleeveless was at my wedding in June 2005, when I wore a sleeveless wedding dress.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »
You know we were talking about this when you were here, and some of our best summer hols (ok long weekends mostly) have been up exactly where you are - when the weather was gorgeous & we were at the Northumberland seaside.  Like the August bank holiday the year before you moved over.  So don't rule the sun out just yet!  ;)

Also, if you can't afford to go abroad for a holiday, what about something like self-catering somewhere further south in the UK this year?  Our Easter week break in Cornwall wasn't very expensive at all - because we went self-catering.  :)

When I first moved here in July 2008, I remember it being warm and nice for the first 2 weeks... everyone was teasing me that I brought the sun with me from Texas. Though I remember hearing that those 2 weeks were pretty much the only warm days that year. Still, when the weather is really nice, I think the Northumberland seaside is one of the best places in the world to be. I guess those few warm days kind of spoiled me.  ;) I shouldn't be greedy!

Yeah, I really would like to go down south, but I think it's pretty much a no-go this year. The ILR we are paying for next month is going to suck our savings dry, and then we have to start saving for my parents' visit in September. Maybe it will be an Indian summer and they will get to see England at its finest! (haha... unlikely, but I can dream!)

I'm starting to feel a bit better, as I think maybe I just need to get out of Amble more often. I love it here, but it does get kinda dull sometimes. We are planning to go to Berwick or Durham for the day on Saturday, so a nice long drive and a change of scenery would help. I think going to Leeds made me restless for more!  ;) :-*

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
Well your trip down here was really a quick one - you'll have to come back to the 'big' city when you can stay longer!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
Well your trip down here was really a quick one - you'll have to come back to the 'big' city when you can stay longer!

Definitely! And hopefully I can bring DH with me next time since he has never been to Leeds. He says I have now seen more of England than he has!  :o ;)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »
Its cold and raining. I just want to leave work and curl up on the couch with old movies and a cuppa
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
We had mostly clouds yesterday, so I got all of my indoor chores done! That means that today - now that it's hot and bright and sunny again - I can lounge outside with a book! I love the sun!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab