Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fabulous Leeds venue!  (Read 1015 times)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Fabulous Leeds venue!
« on: August 14, 2010, 11:44:13 AM »
I wasn't really sure where to put this - it could probably fall under several different categories.  Also I have nothing to do with the building itself, so it's not a classified either.  Just wanted to throw this out there as tip for people in Leeds & the area, etc.

We attended a wedding reception last night in a gorgeous building not far from Leeds city centre called the Left Bank Centre.  It was a former church, but there haven't been services there since the early 1990s, and the building started to fall into decline.  From 2002, a local group purchased the building and finally got some funding from the English Heritage Lottery Fund in 2007, for essential repairs to the building - it is Grade II* Listed and had been on the English Heritage's At Risk register.  Since then, they have slowly been trying to bring the building back into life, and it is available for hire for things like performances and exhibitions, and events such as worship, conferences, concerts, weddings and parties.  (My friend who booked the venue for his wedding reception told them it was for a 'function' in the beginning, rather than for a 'wedding' - for when they quoted him the price, because apparently places often think they ought to charge you more for a 'wedding' than a 'function' - heh.)

The building doesn't look like much on the outside, and it is hard to spot from the road.  It is next door to the Cardigan Centre on Cardigan Road (near Burley Road & Cardigan Road intersection).  But inside, it's just gorgeous - you can see photos on the website.

I guess I am thinking of people like Andee & Mike with their musical groups - if a group was ever looking for a venue.  Or maybe theatre people, or maybe if someone else is getting married or something like that.  It was just a really neat place to do something like that.  I have no idea how much it costs though!

They are apparently going to be hosting some public 'open house' type events in the near future, for anyone who wanted a free, casual look-see.  Particularly on 9th September (Thursday evening), 2nd-3rd October (Sat/Sun) a photo swap event(?), and some sort of theatre production on Friday 8th October for Leeds' Light Night.

Anyway, I highly recommend this venue!  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:30:50 PM by Mrs Robinson »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Re: Fabulous Leeds venue!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
Glad you had a fantastic time!  I will take a look at the link, thanks!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: Fabulous Leeds venue!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 07:17:35 PM »
Glad you had a fantastic time!  I will take a look at the link, thanks!

Oh yeah, the note about the open house thing on 9th September (Thursday evening) says 'hopefully we'll have some live acoustic or choral music, too'.  FYI.  ;)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

Sponsored Links