Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: All Things Beer!  (Read 64166 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: All Things Beer!
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »
It'll be a guest ale, so not on all the time.  But the Bow Bar is a really good pub that usually has something good on!

Thanks for the tip!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• Liked: 585
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »
The long-awaited beer list for next week's Paisley Beer Festival is finally up!

Feast your eyes...

http://www.paisleybeerfestival.org.uk/beerlist.php

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2012, 04:24:55 AM »
Friday night, our local had Highland Orkney Blast on, and it was sublime!
http://www.highlandbrewingcompany.co.uk/beers/orkney_blast/

Last night, we went to this really cool retro pub that is still kitted out exactly as it was in the 60's... they've got 2 hand pumps with Fyne Ales on, so we had Jarl.
http://www.fyneales.com/
It's not on my list of favourites, but my friends like it, so I tolerated it.  Later in another pub I had a pint of Thornbridge White Swan, but it wasn't very nice... it used to be so beautifully pale, with a really delicate taste, but now it just looks and tastes like watered-down Jaipur, which I can do without.  I feel that most Thornbridge beers have changed for the worse in recent months.

The jungle drums are rumbling about the 6% version of Windermere Pale being on in one of the Wetherspoons here tomorrow.  The 3.5% Windermere Pale is lovely, so I'm looking forward to trying the 6% version, and hope it won't be too citrus-y. http://www.hawksheadbrewery.co.uk/

And then Paisley Beer Festival starts on Wednesday, so I am looking forward to a week of great beer and good friends! (we've taken Thur & Fri off from work... we take this seriously!)  ;)

« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
We went to Lancaster for the day yesterday.  Very impressed with what looks like a really nice town, but... what's with the beer?  We went to 5 or 6 real ale pubs and in only 1 pub did we find a single beer above 5%.  It was lovely, as well, but went off after we'd each only had 1 pint.   Very disappointed...Everything we tried seemed to taste a bit same-y and had no strength to it.  We came home stone cold sober.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2012, 05:46:12 PM »
Went to my local Barnsley beer festival a couple of weeks back, and as part of an advance 50th birthday present my friends bought me CAMRA membership and will renew it for the next 5 years!
I even got 2 free half pints as part of it.....I was walking around with a  smug satisfaction for the rest of the afternoon, though that may have been the effect of the beer!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »
That's a good birthday present!
I like the fact that, whenever I renew my CAMRA membership, I get a bunch of '50p off a pint' vouchers for Wetherspoons!

« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »
Looking forward to next weekend in one of the local real ale pubs, when they're meant to have a few Phoenix beers on.  I'm hoping for my favourite, White Monk, but would be happy to see Navvy or Arizona as well.
Only problem is these guys, dont keep their beers very well.  So a beer that is normally fantastic somewhere else is often just 'ok' in here, and rarely at a pleasant temperature.  But I will certainly be there to check it out!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
Tried a few (several  :P)  Red Rocker(s) from the Cromarty Brewing Company over the weekend. Really good.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »
Spent the Jubilee weekend in the Lake District. Stayed in Keswick and fave pub there was the Dog & Gun, they had Keswick Brewery beer on.
On the way back home, stopped off at the Watermill Inn and Brewery for lunch (just outside Windermere), sampled one of their ales which was nice, and bought 3 12-bottle cases to bring home which I'll split and give a dozen bottles to my friend for his birthday. Not sampled any of the bottles yet.

« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »
This thread makes me want to go on holiday. Need Edinburgh suggestions, if anyone has any. Mr MLG would be thrilled.

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »
This thread makes me want to go on holiday. Need Edinburgh suggestions, if anyone has any. Mr MLG would be thrilled.

Bow Bar
Guildford Arms
Bennetts
Abbotsford
Cask & Barrel
HalfwayHouse
outside of Edinburgh, in Musselburgh:  Staggs

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »
Bow Bar
Guildford Arms
Bennetts
Abbotsford
Cask & Barrel
HalfwayHouse
outside of Edinburgh, in Musselburgh:  Staggs

Printing this while I remember!  :-*

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2012, 04:50:47 AM »
I like hoppy beers quite a bit. Well, anything that's got a bit of strength to it, flavour-wise, really. I've just tried a new one by Dogfish Head called Aprihop. It's an IPA brewed with apricots. It's absolutely delicious!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2012, 07:29:50 AM »
I like hoppy beers quite a bit. Well, anything that's got a bit of strength to it, flavour-wise, really. I've just tried a new one by Dogfish Head called Aprihop. It's an IPA brewed with apricots. It's absolutely delicious!

Oh yeah, that one is really really good!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »

Talking of IPA's. My local brewery, Acorn, do a monthly IPA, they use single strains of hops and this year are using American hops. Tried their latest last week in their brewery tap in town, it's called Bullion IPA (Bullion hops) and it's the best beer I've tasted for ages.....absolutely delicious. The owner of the brewery was in the pub so I gave him the feedback on it.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab