Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: All Things Beer!  (Read 64198 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: All Things Beer!
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2012, 07:33:06 AM »
Went to say goodbye to Bruadar yesterday... a fairly new pub, that ended up having to close down, and last night was it's final night.
It had such potential... It was a big, light and airy beautiful building and they had (estimated) about 6 handpumps, and lots of keg taps, as well as interesting bottles.  But their prices were a problem from the very start. 

The other thing that was a problem was their Facebook page, where they always advertised the latest-and-greatest new American craft beer, but never said which cask beers were on that day.  I asked them almost daily... sometimes they would reply, sometimes not.  I told them that I drink with a crowd of 10-12 people who only drink cask ale and therefore it would be helpful to know what was on daily, but they didn't seem to take this on board, and would only post the cask beers occasionally.... like once a fortnight, or if they decided to reply to my asking about it.

So we kind of gave up on them, and only popped in once in a while, checking out the board, and more often than not, leaving after checking the board and finding there was nothing on that we wanted to drink, or that what we wanted to drink was £7 per pint!   Sometimes we did pay the £7 per pint, and sometimes it was sublime, but... who can afford to drink at that price?

So i popped in last night to have one last pint in there, and all their draught stuff was off and they only had bottles.  After examining a few, I went for a 7.4% Flying Dog winter ale (cant remember the name... something Cruiser?)... for which they charged me £7.25 for a 355ml bottle... half a pint!!!    I nearly walked out, but they'd already opened the bottle, so i felt committed... but asked the boy, are you REALLY going to charge me THAT for a HALF PINT? and he looked embarrassed about it, but the manager was standing behind him, so he was stuck. 

On my way out the door, I said I'm really sorry you guys are losing your jobs, but... no one can afford to pay these prices, so I am not surprised you are closing down.

Looking foward to seeing the next pub that moves into that site, and hoping they have more success.

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2012, 07:38:56 AM »
Just saw an advert in the CAMRA beer magazine for a new beer by Theakstons called Lightfoot... meant to taste of peaches and honey, so I love the idea of it!
Anyone tried it yet?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »
Just saw an advert in the CAMRA beer magazine for a new beer by Theakstons called Lightfoot... meant to taste of peaches and honey, so I love the idea of it!
Anyone tried it yet?

Oh that sounds good! 

Well I happily enjoyed Black Isle Blonde, Red Kite, and Porter all weekend. Mmmm.

Then yesterday I had a Thwates Very Nutty Black (was ok) and a Thwaites Triple C, which I really enjoyed!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
Anyone going to the GBBF this week/weekend?  http://gbbf.org.uk/

« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
Couldn't get the time off work this year, but we're going to plan ahead a bit better so we can go again next year!  Several of my pals will be there, working behind the bars.

« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »

Well I happily enjoyed Black Isle Blonde, Red Kite, and Porter all weekend. Mmmm.

Then yesterday I had a Thwates Very Nutty Black (was ok) and a Thwaites Triple C, which I really enjoyed!

We were on the Hawkshead NZPA and Five Hop this weekend.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »
We were on the Hawkshead NZPA and Five Hop this weekend.

Oh both of those sound good!
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
Anyone going to the GBBF this week/weekend?  http://gbbf.org.uk/

I am! Along with a giant group of DH's work friends and my few American friends! We are going Thursday afternoon/evening! Should be a great time.  ;D
2006: Met DH to be in London
2006-2010: LDR, with one year spent in UK in post-grad school
2010: Moved to London on Tier 1 PSW visa
2011: Engaged
2012: Married
2014: ILR Approved at PEO Croydon
2015: I'm finally British!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »
Just taking a moment to pout and whine, now that I am back in the land of 'half size' Newcastle Brown Ale bottles, and far less access to amazing cask ales of all sorts. Sigh.  :\\\'(
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
Yes Tama, but there are absolutely amazing microbrews in the US now, so check 'em out! You won't be disappointed!
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2012, 06:43:49 AM »
Yes Tama, but there are absolutely amazing microbrews in the US now, so check 'em out! You won't be disappointed!

But they're all keg, aren't they?  :-\\\\

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
Oh, PB, you just reminded me that it's almost pumpkin ale time! Major repatriation bonus!  :)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
But they're all keg, aren't they?  :-\\\\

Not all!   You can find cask every once in a while, especially in a few brew houses.    Sure, the keg beer is not 'Real Ale' but its really tasty and that's enough for me!  :)

Yes NOT, Pumpkin beer time. In fact, my sister said last night the Shipyard Pumpkinhead is out  I hate her  :P 
Shipyard also has one called Smashed Pumpkin, which I would love to try! Wachusett Brewery Pumpkin Ale is one my aboslute favourites.  A bar by my parents house serves the Wachusett Pumpkin beer in a glass with a cinnamon sugared rim and its amazing. 

Drink lots for me NOT!!  :)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »
Not all!   You can find cask every once in a while, especially in a few brew houses.    Sure, the keg beer is not 'Real Ale' but its really tasty and that's enough for me!  :)

Different strokes, i guess!  :)
I find keg beer to be too cold and fizzy, and I feel the cold temperature kills the flavour.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »
Yes NOT, Pumpkin beer time. In fact, my sister said last night the Shipyard Pumpkinhead is out  I hate her  :P 
Shipyard also has one called Smashed Pumpkin, which I would love to try! Wachusett Brewery Pumpkin Ale is one my aboslute favourites.  A bar by my parents house serves the Wachusett Pumpkin beer in a glass with a cinnamon sugared rim and its amazing. 

Drink lots for me NOT!!  :)

I've never had the Smashed Pumpkin or the Wachusett! I've got a huge super liquor store about 10 minutes away from me, with a great beer selection, so I'll have to keep an eye out! I will gladly do my duty to drink many for you! :)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab