Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: All Things Beer!  (Read 64169 times)

• Liked: 3
Re: All Things Beer!
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »
Lovely!  :)

You'd probably have said that to any of them though!

We're meeting up with friends tonight and supposed to be going to a brewpub in Hipperholme, near Halifax, whilst the women go off and do their thing in town!  :)
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
You'd probably have said that to any of them though!

Gigggle  ;D True
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »
I've arrived at my BF's to find a big ole bottle of Fraoch in the fridge with MY name on it.  :)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »
Does anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on Hobgoblin in the Northeast, preferably in the NJ/NY area?  A keg would be perfect but bottles would be ok.  My BF would really like to be able to have it at the wedding but it's too much to legally bring over in suitcases. :) 

I'm from California where we have a chain store called BevMo. I'm not sure they are on the east coast yet, but you can order hobgoblin from the BevMo website and have it shipped to NJ or NY. Here is a link: http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13621

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 11:23:11 PM »
I'm a total girl when it comes to beer. My favourites are fruity ones like Früli, Timmermans, and Kriekenbier.

If fruity beers aren't an option though then I can generally be found sipping on Duvel.
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 09:50:55 AM »
It's the Yellowhammer IPA

What did you think TykeMan?

I had a nice yorkshire ale the other day but I can't for the life of me remember what it was...  it was really good though!
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
What did you think TykeMan?

I had a nice yorkshire ale the other day but I can't for the life of me remember what it was...  it was really good though!

Rather nice, I must have enjoyed it as I ordered 2 cases of various (1 for me and 1 for a friend for his birthday), unfortunaletely though they'd sold out of the blonde and the wheat beer!

Was the Barnsley beer festival over the weekend so I sampled a few ales there!!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
Rather nice, I must have enjoyed it as I ordered 2 cases of various (1 for me and 1 for a friend for his birthday), unfortunaletely though they'd sold out of the blonde and the wheat beer!

Was the Barnsley beer festival over the weekend so I sampled a few ales there!!

Nice  :)  The wheat is my favourite one from them and I'm anxiously waiting more!

You're stuck with me!

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 01:12:38 PM »
All I heard was Leeds drink-off- um it's so on, but when?  ;)

I can bring American goodies.
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »
Well, Im not over in the UK quite yet.

Over here I've been a bit of a Hophead as of late.  I enjoy a local brewpub (http://www.sherwoodbrewing.com/ to anyone in the metro detroit area who likes good everything),) and most other pale ale/IPAs that I try.

My FAVOURITE beer has to be Bell's Hopslam (when available), it is frighteningly good.  The 10% ABV Sneaks up on ya kinda quick though...
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112

During my time in the UK, I've made a point to try a different beer everytime I'm at a pub. Didn't quite realize that the ciders were so popular...obviously I wasn't a fan, LOL.

I think the following put out decent stuff

Wychwood Brewing
http://www.wychwood.co.uk/
I've enjoyed just about everything that I've tried from them.

The York Brewery
http://www.york-brewery.co.uk/
Yeah, its a tourist town, but I really liked this place. I felt at home there. They had their Ghost ale on tap at the time, and I could easily see myself spending the evening over a few pints of it

But my favourite beer out there (To the point I've had some of the local shops here import it in for me) is..

Black Sheep Brewery
http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/  

They don't do anything crazy or really bold. I'll never get inspired to go crazy promoting them (any more then this at least), but when I've gone into a pub, and not had a CLUE what to get, I'd just get myself a Black Sheep Ale and its the style I like.  It's not great, its not poor, but it's a nice familiar easy flavour  for me :)

PS: Thanks for the thread :-) 

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
I would love to suggest that people check out the Camra beer festivals - they take place all over the country.  I've been going to the London one in August every year and have tried out some amazing brews.  Love it all from lager to bitter to stout, perry & cider and all between!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 11:55:48 AM »
For fans of Yorkshire beer, I wasn't aware until recently that there is also now a brewery in Ilkley too - opened last year.

http://ilkleybrewery.co.uk/

Our town (actually it's for a local CoE fundraiser) has a beer festival now, usually the first weekend in March of each year.  We went the first year, but missed this year's.  The Ilkley Brewery took top honours at ours though in 2010.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »
You might want to try French cider particularly those from Brittany (Bretagne) or Normandy (Normandie). Valderance is a good cheap one in both sweet (douce) and dry (brut). The really nice ones tend to be specialty of the region and even Appellation Controlle like wine.  
I am over here in the US and my favorite beers at the moment are: Full Sail amber; Shiner Hefeweiser; and Samuel Adams Summer Ale. I always like to get either a pint of Guinness or a Smithwick's at the local Irish bar we are lucky enough to have nearby.
With Octoberfest  coming up be sure to try the original Spaten. I prefer the wheat beers myself with Pauleiner as my all-time # 1 of that type of beer.  
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 09:01:53 AM »
It has been decided.  After this next brew that we make from a kit, we're going to attempt a batch from scratch. 

I want to get good at it so that I can make some Pumpkin Ale next summer in time for Fall. I've found one recipe that looks good, but I don't understand all the jargon so I need to get myself educated, and practice, before I can attempt it.

Anyone else attempted to brew their own?  I'm wondering what a good book might be.  We've only done kits, which basically does it for you so you don't really get the full picture.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 08:47:40 PM »
We were at the Golden Spurtle, World Porridge Championships today-
And the Caringorm Brewery was there- Now we know one of the guys who works there through our arty circles- who giving us loads of samples which were lovely- but anyways, they were showcasing an oatmeal beer (in honour of the porridge!)- which was absolutely fantastic - had a deep rich flavour and a nice brown colour -
And he was telling us that they sell their Blessed Thistle in M&S as "Scottish Ale" - interesting- but that's another nice beer
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab