Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Leaving a Gratuity?  (Read 4965 times)

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
Leaving a Gratuity?
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
As an American I was raised to tip for certain services - hair dressers, taxi drivers, wait staff/bartenders, et cetera - and now in the UK I'm a little unclear on who and how much one should tip. I know it's not a gratuity-based economy, that employees are (hopefully?) paid a living wage but my BF implied it's becoming more common but there's no standard.

What do you guys think? Do you leave tips? Under what circumstances? How much?

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
  • Liked: 0
Re: Leaving a Gratuity?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
I'm dying to know a great & detailed answer to this!

Years ago, I worked as a bartender. I lived off my tips and because of that, I am a generous "tipper". However, in the UK I realize this is not the same practice. But when my husband and I go out to eat, that's where things get weird. I want to leave a tip, but he claims "you don't have to". That's too unclear for me. You don't have to or you just don't do it? I can't expect him to feel the need to tip as I do so I feel like he's not the best person to ask... bless him :)

I nearly tipped a bartender in the UK and he said something similar "you don't have to, but you can if you'd like". So I did! Only to have him chase me down to give me my change... which confused me even more.
"It's useful being top banana in the shock department."

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »
There have been a few threads regarding the subject of tipping in the UK (although I haven't got time to find them right now). It's not really customary to tip in the UK, at least not like it is in the US. In general though, who to tip and how much is an individual thing and so it's different for different people.

I'm a Brit and I tip the following:

- Restaurants/Sit down meals: 10-15% (usually 10% or I round up the bill amount to an even number)
- Hairdressers: I don't tip (other people do though)
- Taxis: I don't tip
- Bartenders: I don't tip (I believe it's customary to offer the bartender 'and a drink for yourself' rather than give a straight-out tip)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »
we always tip at a restaurant, I would stick to 10-20 % but my husband (the brit) spent years working in pubs and so he tends to tip quite well, too well if you ask me... He once left a £15 tip on a £30 meal cause the waiter was expecting a new baby. he didn't understand my point when I said so are we...

he also tends to tip taxi drivers by rounding up to the nearest note, I will round to the nearest pound, mostly because I can't be bothered to get change. although if they make me listen to a blaring radio or talk on their phones while I'm in the car I will count the pennies :)

My friend (british), never tips for anything. She says that she doesn't get tipped in her job, why should they...

so I'd say it depends. It isn't expected, and I use the same criteria as in the states. Couple of quid for a hair cut, 20 ish percent of the bill for a meal with good service.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »
There have been a few threads regarding the subject of tipping in the UK (although I haven't got time to find them right now).

I did a cursory search but I mostly found things about people whose jobs in the US included earning gratuities and general advice (non-gratuity "tips"), not information on tipping in the UK

- Restaurants/Sit down meals: 10-15% (usually 10% or I round up the bill amount to an even number)
- Bartenders: I don't tip (I believe it's customary to offer the bartender 'and a drink for yourself' rather than give a straight-out tip)

Ta!

• Liked: 31
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:17:16 PM »
I agree, 10% at a restaurant, none at a pub that serves food though. I only tip the hairdresser if I'm very happy with the cut, and even then only a pound. If the taxi fare is quite close to a round number (e.g. £4.50) I might just round up (e.g. to a fiver), but only if the driver was extra friendly or we were a large group or other unusual circumstances. I've never tipped a bartender here, but then again, I don't think I ever tipped a bartender in the US either!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 31
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »
Threads on tipping:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=11087.0
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=39511.0
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=56561.0
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=54877.0

Advanced search usually works better than normal search. Also best to search tips or tipping rather than gratuities, as that expression doesn't tend to get used here.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »
I had searched under tipping and gratuity/ies but subjected it this way to clear up the ambiguity of the word "tip".

Thank you for the list of previous threads.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 06:13:11 PM »
I tip 10% for table service but not if we order at the bar.  I tip quite generously for haircuts but that's just me.
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 06:33:17 PM »
I tip at restaurants if the service is good and/or the server is nice and I tend to tip taxi drivers to save faffing around for small change.  Don't tip anywhere else. 

• At the U2 concert!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!  I know there are others, but I'm going to post to this one.

I'm a Brit and I tip the following:

I understand you're a Brit, but I have a question for you.  Why don't you tip hairdressers or taxi drivers?  I know that I'm trying to understand the UK culture more and it's a slightly harder for me to grasp because I work in a service-related industry in the US.  Can you please elaborate?  Thanks! 

Oh, and I love your advice on tipping bartenders.  It's a fair amount and they don't have to buy the drink if they don't want. :D
First visit to US (2 weeks)- October 2009
Second visit to US (3 months)- December 2009
First visit to UK - August 2010
Second visit to UK - October 2010
Third visit to UK - December 2010 (Engaged!)
His visit to US-April 2011
Married-May 2011!!!!

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 11:57:37 PM »
I understand you're a Brit, but I have a question for you.  Why don't you tip hairdressers or taxi drivers?  I know that I'm trying to understand the UK culture more and it's a slightly harder for me to grasp because I work in a service-related industry in the US.  Can you please elaborate?  Thanks!  

To be honest, I have no idea! My main reasoning is that I can't afford to tip (I've been either a student or working in a low-paid retail job for the last 9 years and I can barely afford the haircut/taxi fare itself, let alone a tip on top of that too) and usually the hairdressers and taxi drivers actually earn more than I do!

Oh, and I love your advice on tipping bartenders.  It's a fair amount and they don't have to buy the drink if they don't want. :D

That one isn't really my personal advice (as I've never actually done it myself) - it's just something that's 'done' in the UK (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A640018):

United Kingdom

All British people know this: you do not tip cash at the bar in a pub. If you are impressed with the barkeep's service, you can offer to buy them a drink. Such an offer will be genuinely appreciated, even though it may not be accepted. If it is, the barkeep might take the tip in the form of cash to 'have one [a drink] later'. This will generally be for half a pint of beer, or a small measure of spirits - you would not expect them to take for a larger drink unless you specifically asked them to.

It seems to be a grey area whether to tip for meals served in a pub. Generally, you have to decide whether a particular establishment is a pub that serves food (don't tip) or a restaurant with a bar (do tip).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:15:44 AM by ksand24 »

• At the U2 concert!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »
To be honest, I have no idea! My main reasoning is that I can't afford to tip (I've been either a student or working in a low-paid retail job for the last 9 years and I can barely afford the haircut/taxi fare itself, a tip on top of that too) and usually the hairdressers and taxi drivers actually earn more than I do!

Bless your heart. :)  And thank you for your honesty.  Even in the US where our wages basically come straight from our tips, I always feel bad for those who probably "can't" tip.  As a waitress (and full-time student) I can usually spot the students.  I don't feel bad if I don't get a good tip because I understand it's tough. 

Just remember after you get your degree, are making some £, and travel to the US, to tip us well....only if we serve you well. :D

Do hairdressers work on an hourly wage?  I know taxi drivers definitely do not.
Married-May 2011!!!!

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 12:27:04 AM »
I tip everyone but bartenders. Especially taxi drivers because my husband told me they are the ones that always get a tip. And I just learned recently that when a restaurant adds a "service charge" that the servers dont get this so I tip on top of it. Only about 10% but I hate them not getting something.

• At the U2 concert!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 02:05:12 AM »
I tip everyone but bartenders. Especially taxi drivers because my husband told me they are the ones that always get a tip. And I just learned recently that when a restaurant adds a "service charge" that the servers dont get this so I tip on top of it. Only about 10% but I hate them not getting something.

:D  My fiance drives taxi and I might be a little biased, but I will always tip taxi drivers in the UK because of the cost of diesel/petrol alone.  However, if they take you on a route you know is incorrect, then they can forget the tip...

Also, I was told that service charges are not mandatory and can be reversed in cases of poor service.  Is this true?
Married-May 2011!!!!

Sponsored Links