Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 6 months...  how to fill the time....  (Read 3638 times)

Re: 6 months...  how to fill the time....
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2003, 11:38:20 AM »
Get a puppy.  It's what I did.  Kept me busy running after her.

• Give all to love, Obey thy Heart - R.W. Emerson
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2003, 11:49:26 AM »
unfortunately the flat we live in does not allow pets ~ i am hoping when we reside in a place of our own or maybe a flat that may allow pets, i am hoping to have a cat, or maybe a bird someday....

im still exploring options for local volunteering options. although im giving thought to learning to cook (heh), learning to sew, (i wonder how expensive sewing machines are here?)..soon i think im going to attempt to navigate the bus/train schedules, once im okay with those, perhaps making a trip into london wont be so intimidating...
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~ {Chinese Proverb} ~

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2003, 03:55:21 PM »
Too bad you can't have pets in your flat.   :'(

SantaHubby got me a sewing machine for Christmas...Janome, 23 stitches, £199.99. The expense for the sewing machine isn't the problem, it's the fabric that costs so much.  I'm a quilter and I find £9.99 per metre for calico simply outrageous and I refuse to buy it.  >:(  Guess I'll stock up next time I'm in the states.

The only other ideas I had was what everyone else has mentioned: cooking, crafts,  etc.

Good luck.  I hope you find something soon to occupy your time.  

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2003, 04:31:52 PM »
[smiley=devilish.gif] Play Eq.  Lots.  [smiley=devilish.gif]

Lol, good luck no matter what you decide to do.  :)

wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Who, being loved, is poor?  -Wilde
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2003, 06:19:54 PM »
Saffron, you quilt???!!!!!!!

Pretty please, tell me how you learned?  I want to be able to quilt so much, but I don't know where to start and haven't been able to find any decent books for beginners.  Were you able to learn yourself, or is it difficult enough that I'll probably need help?

Jewel
"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatness which does not bow before children."  -Kahlil Gibran

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2003, 07:29:41 PM »
Saffron, you quilt???!!!!!!!

Pretty please, tell me how you learned?  I want to be able to quilt so much, but I don't know where to start and haven't been able to find any decent books for beginners.  Were you able to learn yourself, or is it difficult enough that I'll probably need help?

Jewel

Hi Jewel,

Yeah, I'm a quilter from way back.  My mom and my oldest sister are quilters as well, but mostly I'm self taught.  Mom and sis used templates to cut their quilt pieces but I use a rotary cutter and ruler to cut mine.

Two quilting authors come to mind that you might want to check into regarding books. Elinore Burns teaches a really nifty "quilt in a day" method and Georgia Bonesteel teaches "lap quilting".  Of the two, I prefer Elinore Burns.  She will take you from start to finish on a quilt and she explains, very thoroughly, all the elements that go into making a quilt.

Hope this helps.  If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.   :D

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2003, 03:08:00 AM »
Hey what i did when i first got here was to take a few bus trips around england, i went to buckingham palace, winchester cathedral, rye and to a few other places... oh to althorp house where princess diana was at...i eventually got a bit tired of the trips but saw some places my english hubby had never seen....it was fun

good luck ;D
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2003, 11:04:59 AM »
[[but saw some places my english hubby had never seen....it was fun]]

i read that and it reminded me that last friday, i saw the Queen when she came to the cathedral in town and my lovely boyfriend hasnt yet had the chance to see her. (he had to work unfortunately )

i think today im gonna brave taking a bus to a different town..(weeeeeeee!)

• Who, being loved, is poor?  -Wilde
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2003, 12:53:16 PM »
Saffron, thank you!  I will put Burns on my wish list ;)

Jewel
"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatness which does not bow before children."  -Kahlil Gibran

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2003, 09:50:11 AM »
How did you get on with the NHS May I ask? It would really help to get an inside story.

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2003, 12:42:51 AM »
>>How did you get on with the NHS May I ask? It would really help to get an inside story.<<

to this current time, im not eligible for NHS benefits. to be honest, i am not %100 sure when i do become eligible. i must admit the nationalized health care is a very foreign concept to me!
are you living in the UK now? or planning to move?

Sponsored Links