55 (7.8%)
Through family
15 (2.1%)
As penpals!
13 (1.8%)
other
58 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 638

Topic: How Did It All Begin??  (Read 95937 times)

• My little cutie
  • Liked: 0
Re: How did you know?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2004, 01:47:26 PM »
Glenn and I met over the internet as most of you know.  I seen his nick name in a game area and said nice nick he came back with yours too.  We started talking and fast became good friends. I thought that is all it would be. We were friends for almost a year, talking to each other bout everything from relationships to my tattoos.  

One day we were chatting and I had realized I felt more for him then just friends. So I blurted out in a chat box "Glenn I love you" and get this he came back with "Lona why the f**k, didnt you tell me?"  I just sat there staring at the screen for a long time thinking I had made the biggest mistake of my life admitting this to him.  But he finally messages me again and asked me what was wrong I told him I was sorry and I should of kept my mouth shut, he said no he was glad I had said somehting.

After that we decided he should come for a visit, so on Oct 17th Glenn flew into Detroit airport, I was waiting for him with a great friend of mine (also my tattooist and eventually he was the best man as well) while waiting for Glenn I had a angzity (sp?) attack.

Once he walked thru the doors and I seen him all my fears disappeared and I just knew we would be together from then on as a couple.  (Glenn later told me he was having the same thoughts on the airplane....that this was a mistake and he was worried that it would not work out, but he told me when he seem my face waiting there for him he too knew it was right).

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2004, 01:05:22 AM »
 Iam the same with my Gordon as Elle is with her Frank.I just knew,and I dont know why..although G will tell me the same when I ask him that and I dont like his "I dont know;I just did"

Sometimes women like to hear the declarations of undying love, you guys  ;D

His plane was supposed to be in Louisville early that day but it didnt land till later on that evening(long story)My friend went with me to pick Gordon up,and after much pacing and many ciggs I didnt even see him get off the plane! :o I went and ask someone and they said yes he was listed as a passenger,so she told me to check downstairs in baggage(what did he come in a suitcase?? )  :o  So me and my friend ran I mean I RAN  downstairs and yes there he was picking up his luggage and looking a bit down in the mouth since I wasnt there. :-[

I know I had the biggest  ;D on my face that anyone had ever seen.I walked up from behind him and he turned around and my heart just melted.We hugged and I didnt want to let go and the rest is history.

I love my husband as much as the day I fell in love with him,and I know I will till the day one of us leaves this earth.

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2004, 04:54:33 AM »
To be honest as much as I have enjoyed reading these threads I am suprised so many met for the first time face to face.  I though stupidly I suppose with this being an internet group more people would of met like us through the internet (I wonder how many yahoo chat marraiges there have been  ;D ).  I like to hear that people have been friends then suddenly realise wow thats the one, but it is also nice to know that the instant reaction is equally at work.

Love is all about emotion and emotions are a personal thing that are often only in context from our own perspective.  I thank everyone who has replied to this thread now and in the future it is always good to read about the magic of life it puts the bad stuff in the right context.  

;D

Ok just thought of another question which strikes me as interesting but that maybe just me.  So from the point when you knew they were the one how did it come about that you knew you were their one?

I only ask the question really because HG already answered that bit of ours for me.  Shows how off I was I thought it was when she was ill in London  ;D .

Zap, well John (DeaconJohn) and I were one of those couples that met in a chat room.  We'll be celebrating our 3rd anniversary this April 21st. (Wow, has it been that long already!)  I think I knew John was the one for me when he told me, "I love you, but I know you've been hurt before by men who've told you that. Just know I'll be here for you when you decide and there's no pressure for you to return my feelings.  I just had to be able to say that I love you because I can't hold it in anymore."  

I realized he didn't know how strongly I felt about him (even though I did love him, I was just afraid to say it), and he was the one risking feeling rejected so I wouldn't have to.  Needless to say, it wasn't long after that I blurted out, "I love you, too!"  So, 9 months after we met online, and 6 months after we met for the first time in person, we were married in Pennsylvania, where we live now.  (Someday, we hope to "live happily ever after" in the U.K.  ;) )

Our relationship has only grown deeper and our love wiser and even more understanding than before, since the birth of our son, Jackson in January '03.  I'm so blessed and lucky that I have found such a wonderful lover and best friend, and I thank the heavens for him everyday.

Rebekah

P.S., He says he knew I was the one when he saw my picture online for the first time, lol, but I don't believe him.  I asked him, but how did you know I wasn't a total b*tch or a man-eater or something? He just says, I don't know, I just had a feeling you were "the one."  Guess his feeling proved right!
Humans are not so much rational beings, as they are rationalizing.

• Cali girl in Wales
Re: How did you meet your British beloved?
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2004, 08:49:41 PM »
Hello,

I also met my man on the net. My aunt's job in California was going to transfer business to Ireland early last year so she went to visit the new office in Arklow. I had always wanted to go to Ireland and she invited me to go with her the next time she went back. She would be working the whole time and thougth I'd get bored w/out anyone to show me around and I also wanted to take the ferry across to Wales then England. So I decided to go online to search for pen pals who might give me some good advice on what to see/do while there. I was hoping to make some friends before I went. To make a long story short, met my brit from Wales on the 4dating website (hey, it gave you the option to choose "just friends". That's all I was looking for) and never did go to Ireland... :) Went to England instead!  I have never met anyone sweeter or more loving than my man. I was looking for a tour guide and ended up finding my prince charming  ;D We are getting married this May and I will be there with him soon.

p.s. And yes, that trip to Ireland is still on my list of things to do. I'll be much closer now.

Denise

Re: How did you meet?
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2004, 04:57:50 PM »
     I'd like to know how you all met your spouce or signaficant other.

My husband and I became pen pals by post in 5-93. We met in 9-94 when he came to the states. I went over in 11-94. I asked him to marry me the day I left the UK. In 2-95 I went over for six months. I got pregnant and ended up in Basingstoke hospital for seven days and almost died. When I got out he took me to the registry office, had no idea what one was. Got married 21-7-95. I came back to the states in 8-95 as I was still ill with the pregnancy.  He thought being with my mum would be a good idea and I would feel better...didn't work! He came for the birth in 12-95, but Samantha arrived early by 7 days. He went back after 3 weeks, did the immigration paperwork and in 3-96 got it and was here in the states for good in 4-96.

We just had our second child on 16 June, a little boy named Christopher. Married 9 years and counting...Hoping to move back to the UK in the next 2 years.

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2004, 05:07:40 PM »
Well, I posted this in the welcome forum when I joined.....but, since I love talking about my Jamie, how we met, and how he's changed my life.....here, again, is a VERY Reader's Digest Condensed Version of our story so far. :)

In July of last year, in a desperate attempt to escape my worsening depression and suicidal-ness, I joined a posting board for fans of a favourite author of mine.  The board strongly encouraged member creativity and artistic-ness and so I felt it was the place for me to excercise and share a few of my writing gifts (poetry and songwriting specifically).  It became my diversion from my increasingly miserable "real-life" which wasn't a LIFE at all, it was merely existence.  It was a place I could pour my soul out on those pages....and, on those pages is where I found my soul-mate.

Jamie, too, had joined the board having a desire and need to escape his real-life situation.  He was a very gifted writer and photographer but the woman who had been his partner for 12 years did not appreciate him for the magnificently talented and wonderful person that he is. She never supported him in his dreams and interests.  She spent her nights in her favourite pub with her friends and ignored Jamie unless she was really drunk (sad, huh?).  He did not share this with me at first.  At first we just became friends and then started to write together....and that was wonderful.   

As for me, I had been divorced for some time and had suffered through a string of lousy and just plain wrong relationships.

I had never collabed with anyone before.  But, Jamie became the voice of my heart.  He would write something and I would sit there and read it, with tears streaming down my face, and say, 'I could have written that'.  It was like he was reading my very soul and putting what he found there on paper.  When we started writing together we found - even though our styles of writing aren't perfectly the same - we complimented each other so that when other people read our collabs they couldn't tell who had written what.  We shared a poetic and literary "Voice" and it seemed to be screaming one thing:  We belonged together!  We both knew it....we both tried to deny it....for a while, that is.  Until we could do so no more. During this time Jamie came to the inevitable conclusion that his marriage had been over for a looooooong time but he still didn't tell me how he felt about me.  Not until.....

November.  And I hit the lowest low of depression I had ever had.  I called it the Abyss.  Some great poetry ended up coming out of it.....but, that was the only thing "great" about it.  It hurt to breathe.  Plus, I had discovered that I was deeply in love with a man who was perfect for me.  However, an ocean and over 4000 miles seperated us.  U'm, not to mention, he was married.

I stopped going online very much at all and I stopped talking to everyone on the board.  I stopped doing much of anything other than sleeping and crying.  It hurt to breathe, it hurt to talk, it just hurt...and I was so exhausted.  People were sending me messages, they were worried about me.  Jamie left me IMs, I could tell he really missed me.  I went back to bed and prayed to die.

My roommate and dear friend Dana (who had been hearing me talk about the board I was on....and had heard me go on and on about Jamie) said one night, "You need to go online and talk to Jamie....he loves you".

I knew that was true.  But, that - I thought - was tragic!  I loved him, too.....what were we to do?

I went online that night.  Jamie was on, waiting and praying that I would come on.  He said that when my IM screen popped up, he shouted to the ceiling, "THANK GOD!"

Well, to attempt to make a really long story short (after all, we are planning on writing a book together to tell the WHOLE story....I'm trying not to write the whole thing out here, LOL), we finally came clean to each other that we loved each other....and knew that we belonged together.

So, at that time in the middle of November, he left his now ex-wife, booked tickets to come and see me in December (at Christmas time), and got the process of divorce started. She (the now ex-wife, that is) admitted that she was relieved actually.  She had known that marriage had been over for some time as well, but she had lacked the courage to end it herself.

My Jamie came to me in December.  When I went to meet him at Orlando International Airport it was truly magical.  As soon as our eyes met everyone and everything else in the room started to fade.  All of the clamour and noise of a busy airport at Christmas time started to silence.  By the time we were in each others' arms everyone else was gone and it seemed we stood in a vacuum.  We were the only two people who existed in the world.  I know, that sounds all too much like some movie story...but, that's exactly how it happened.  And, that is, indeed, how it is.  No one else in the whole world exists for us.  Just me for him, and him for me.

That was the best Christmas EVER!   He asked me to marry him.  I said YES!  He came back to visit me in February for Valentine's Day, then again in April right after Easter.  I came over here at the end of April and now we are getting all in order to marry on the 18th of September! Then, when I go back in October, we will get everything ready for when he comes in December and we will go to the NY consulate and get my spousal visa.  Then, I will come back home with him.....finally to STAY!

HOME.  This is home.  Not because I love England and think it's beautiful (which I do).  This is home because home is only where my Jamie is.

I am happy for the first time in my life.....all because of this wonderful man who changed my life and has become my life.  For nearly 30 years I had felt that I had lived nearly 30 years too long.   Now I want to live....and, it no longer hurts to breathe.  Because.....Jamie is the reason I breathe!

There you go..... ;D ;D ;D

I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2004, 09:11:28 AM »
I came over to the UK to do an MA/PhD at the University of Reading in Sept 2000. I lived in Uni accomodation where I had my own room but shared a kitchen with 7 others. Glenn was one of the 2 British students there and we discovered that we were the 2 oldest (I'm older than him by 7 months). We also discovered a mutual love of 80s music! Our whole floor got on well but Glenn and I stayed just friends until February when things got a little, ummm, hot and heavy! We struggled a bit as neither of us felt we were prepared for a serious relationship but it soon became clear we had something special!

So in May of 2002 I moved in with him and in August of 2003 we got engaged in Arrochar, Scotland. Our wedding is about 2 months away - 23 October 2004.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 06:49:23 PM by balmerhon »
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2004, 02:10:39 PM »
We met when I was living in Edinburgh.  The following "story" is for our wedding programmes (May 21, 2005). 

Once upon a time in a land called Scotland, a beautiful princess walked into a handsome prince’s shop, in the hopes of purchasing souvenirs for her family back home in America.  The prince was curious about the princess and asked where she hailed from.  Sarcasm arose from her lips, causing the prince shock and confusion, as he’d not heard such a reply before. 

After the prince recovered from his disbelief that an American could articulate such wit, the two began to chat about this, that and the next thing.  Conversation came effortlessly for the pair, and two days later they were enjoying each other’s company over a pint (or five) of lager at the Gilford Arms in Edinburgh.  They talked and laughed late into the night and decided that they had to meet again.

Through the changing of many seasons, the prince and princess became closer to one another, despite the six thousand miles of land and sea that separated them for long periods of time.  When they were together, they enjoyed each other’s companionship.  They traveled to great places and their commitment to one another grew to incredible levels.   

When it became clear that the prince wanted to spend the rest of his days with the princess, he devised a plan, with the blessing of her parents.  His desire to make his intended proposal magical led the couple to Venice, Italy, where the handsome prince bent to one knee and asked the princess to be his bride.  Without a moment of hesitation, the princess agreed to be his wife…

Today, the betrothed couple will meet at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Cle Elum, Washington.  It is here, in the presence of their family and friends that they are to be united as husband and wife.  While the rest of this great modern day fairytale has yet to be written, rest assured, it will end with “Happily Ever After”.

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2004, 10:37:11 PM »
I've been meaning to share this story for a while.  My hubby and I met in a hotel resturant over breakfast in Brazil.  I was heading offshore to work on an exploration vessel and all of the Americans I flew down with had eaten already.  He looked like the only person there that spoke English, so I sat near him.  We got to talking and I found out that he was the medic on the ship I was going to.

Fast forward 6 months later.  We're still on the same boat.  We had become pretty good friends in thoes 6 months and hung out a bit.  We had 6 days at sea with nothing going on, so the crew decided to throw a party.  Mix in some alcohol and friends start dating.  He proposed a year later at the airport. 

Over the next 3 years, we managed to stay mostly on the same boats even though we were contacted throught different companies.  We spent our off time half and half between the US and the UK.  After some missfortune in the offshore industry (he lost a friend in the North Sea to a helicopter crash) we decided to work on land and picked the US. 

We obtained a fiance vias for him (a long wait and expensive, but other wise easy) and were married just over a year ago.  We had our first child Sean in April and he got his green card in July.

We sometimes talk about going to the UK to live, but he's getting settled in the US finally.  Maybe we'll retire there.  I do miss all of the travel and getting to goto the UK 2 or 3 times a year. 
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

Re: How Did It All Begin??
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2004, 06:16:03 PM »
OK, here's the story.  I have merged, deleted all redundant and feedback  in this thread.  If I have missed anything that should be deleted, let me know.  If you have more than one version still posted, chose the one you want to keep and delete the other.  If you want to change your story or add to it, please do-Marlespo and Balmerhon, I think we need more from you two, other than 'met in a bar'  ;).  And if we don't have your story then please add it.  We'd love to hear.   :)

I'm really feeling the love here after trawling through NINE pages of love stories.   ;)

Oh and I fancy doing a poll. 

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2004, 06:36:59 PM »
Oh hey!  If the answer is other-let me know and I'll add that to the poll. 

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2004, 10:33:15 PM »
Oh, and another thing.  Please no follow-ups.  Let's keep this stories only.  Otherwise it'll be a million pages long. 

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2004, 07:58:22 AM »
I met my DH in a pub... the Bag O' Nails in London.  I was on holiday, and he and his friends had just come down on the coach from Scotland and were in London for 1 day on their way to Crete.
I met my DH that day, but it took 12 years for us to actually get together, cos i was more interested in one of his friends.
2 marriages and 3 boyfriends later, he finally told me that he wanted to go out with me, so we went to a Rangers match the next day, and for a curry that night, and have been together ever since.  :)

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2004, 10:19:27 AM »
I did a term abroad to York in 1998. I lived across the hall from this great girl called Katie.  After the 3 month term was up, Katie and I remained friends and wrote emails, letters and occasionally talked on the phone.  Once in a while she'd enclose a picture of her sexy brother and let me know what he was up to.  (Meanwhile, she was sending him MY pictures and letting him know what I was up to).  In 2000, Katie came to visit me in the states.  Her sexy brother almost came with her, but something happened and it didn't work out. 

In May of 2003 I was a miserable auditor living in Boston.  When my roommates went to London without me, I knew I had to take matters into my own hands and get in touch with Katie.  It turned out that she was living in the Gatehouse of a Castle in Scotland- what a great time to visit her!   My first weekend in Scotland, her sexy brother came up (from Durham) to meet me.  It was love at first sight . . .

He took the following Monday off to take me to the airport (how sweet).  About a week after I got home, I got an email from him saying he was coming to visit me in Boston for a week and a half in July.  We had a great time, but weren't sure how it was going to work.  We got webcams and I found out you could text the UK for free through Verizon. . .

I didn't get to visit him until October (our longest stretch), we met up in London for a weekend in November (thanks to www.site59.com), he came to my house for Christmas.  We decided we were going to do this. . . I found out about the HSMP, quit my job and moved across in February! 

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2004, 05:18:54 PM »
 How did you meet your husband/wife or Boyfriend/Girlfriend? We were working in McDonalds together. I was 15, he was 16.

Did you know from the start that they was going to be your love for life? Nope, in fact the first time I went out with him it was as a joke. He claims to have known the minute he saw me bouncing into McDonalds my first day.  He used to drop apple pies and fries at my feet and over fill sodas whenever I was near. I thought he was sweet, but too nerdy for me.  I took him to Winter Formal on a dare, but I knew from that night it was going to be forever. I fell totally and completely, butterflies-in-the-stomach in love before we ever kissed, and I still feel the same 17 years later.   

Rosie
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ~François Fénelon

Sponsored Links