55 (7.8%)
Through family
15 (2.1%)
As penpals!
13 (1.8%)
other
58 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 638

Topic: How Did It All Begin??  (Read 95869 times)

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
Re: How Did It All Begin??
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2005, 05:22:44 PM »
We met on   a Catholic Singles  Website Chatroom
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Liked: 0
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2005, 05:21:36 PM »
Steve and I met through an international pen pal web site.  Neither of us were looking for that someone, but we just clicked.  He came to visit me in America and then I came over here and we decided that life would be better for us if I moved here and so here I am!!  We just had our first child together (I have a 12 yr old son who lives in America with his father) and we have been happily married for 3 1/2 years.

• StokesInternet
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2005, 06:51:46 PM »
Anne and I met through friends / at the university (I checked friends in the poll).

A friend in my department was married to someone who worked in her lab at Indiana University where we all were for graduate school.

I was married to someone else when we first met. I thought she was nice, and I flirted a little, but I was married so I didn't think of doing anything else at the time. Later, once I was getting divorced, we met up again, both being invited to some events by our mutual friends. It was nice to see there were other women out there who were interesting. After the divorce was over Anne and I started dating.

She describes seeing me at one of the mentioned events and thinking that I would be the type of guy she would like to date, but didn't even think of it because I was married. Later I mentioned that I was getting divorced. She was mixed between feeling bad because I was clearly upset, and feeling happy that I would soon be single.

We dated for about five years (we were engaged for two of those waiting for our job situations to stabilize enough for a wedding)  and have been married for two.

David
Pictures From Our New Home!
http://www.stokesinternet.com/move

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2005, 04:27:58 AM »
I'm going to England (to Leeds) on March 14th to meet my boyfriend --- we've been penpals for 18 months, dating for 6 of those.  We met thru a personal site (I cant remember the title at the moment, lol) while I was in college and we could only post on the forums, as you had to pay to email each other personally.  So I paid for a month of service so we could get each other's contact information - and we've been talking thru emails, instant messages, & phone conversations ever since! I sent him a card for his 19th birthday and he sent me a card "Just because" - telling me he couldnt wait to see me :-D and it plays music!  ;)   I've seen pics of him (and he of me) and we both know that we love each other personality wise - and we both love the way each other looks -- I am very excited about my trip, as I know it will be everything I wish (and maybe more!) Only 9 days!!!! :) And I know it will be awhile before he and I will permanently be together (he starts Uni this fall, for a 3 year-course - and I've debts to pay off before I could EVER leave the country, that will take about two years  >:( lol!) but I believe it will be worth the wait in the end!!!

I Love this site, by the way  ;D it is great to find others who are/have been in this situation before...

• Family of 4!
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2005, 03:21:28 PM »
Ok as alot of us did me and user ChrisEverson met online.
But heres the odd(fate) thing. I never got online really and a friend of mine was messing around online all the time so I decided if ya cant beat em join em thing, and logged on. This mind you at about 11pm. 4 am his time. what he was doing online at that time still baffles me. So anyhow I log on, and type hey I dont do this at all, kinda creepy, but anyone wanna just chat? so moments later chris said hello. He said I was trying to get into a music chatroom and accidentally clicked the wrong tab, but hello.    Well we talked about everything I think that night  and I said, well this is a little awkward, I dont like the whole "internet thing" (my naivity) and I said can you call me or me u? He said sure, but Im in Wales.  lol nearly fell off my chair when I read that. lol But anyhow things contiued to work out, and he came for a visit June 2003. Then later in Sept 2003 he moved here permanently. We are now happily married and moving back to britain May 19 2005. so thats our story ....;)
Ps it never ceases to amaze me how I would have NEVER met him had I not logged on that night! :P

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2005, 06:35:31 PM »
Tom and I met on the internet on June 2002, it was incredibly late here in Mexico, but I was awake because it was the World Cup and I wanted to see a match, I have to say I hate chat rooms and i never use them but that day I didnt want to fall asleep, so i logged in. Tom was supposed to be at Uni, but that day he wasnt (thank God).
I dont even remember the chat room where i met him, because then I didnt know he was the love of my life. I didnt even give him my real name!  What if he was a serial killer or something :P
So, I talked hours with him that night and i thought he was very nice but that was it.
I didnt login that often back then, so after that day I didnt see him in weeks but from the day that we talked again, we kept doing it almost everyday.
He called me a few times and I couldnt call him back, because if my mum knew that I was calling to England, she would have killed me for sure :-\\\\
He asked me to be his girlfriend on August 17th and he came to visit me 5 months later, on January 2003. I almost faint when I saw him, he was so tall! lol. And I have to say DF has the sexiest lips on this planet  ;D It was a wonderful sensation to finally having him with me.
He came to visit me again several times and I went to visit him too and finally on September 2004, he asked me to marry him! Now, we are just deciding when to do it. And I cant wait!
Just like jonie said: it never ceases to amaze me how I would have NEVER met him had I not logged on that night!  :)

Mysh

• azroomie & james
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2005, 05:14:06 PM »
[quote author=Mysh link=topic but from the day that we talked again, we kept doing it almost everyday.
Just like jonie said: it never ceases to amaze me how I would have NEVER met him had I not logged on that night!  :)

very true for me as  well. it was about  5 pm my time on a saturday night  and  after 1 am his time.. we met in  a catholic  website  chat  room..   where I had  never seen him  before  (since  I was  a frequent chatter.. and he defintely wasn't.. )   talked  or  chatted with him online  every  night after that..  but  had he not pulled  a  late nighter  and logged  on  we never would have met..   it was  his  holiday time over Christmas..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 08:57:22 AM by azroomie »
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2005, 03:58:35 AM »
We met online while we were in graduate school in Scotland.

I have to back up to a year before we met...a friend of mine in college put up a profile at a personals site for a laugh.  I thought, well, why not, I'm not meeting anyone exciting right now (this was when I was living in Pittsburgh).  So I did, and went on a few dates with different people.  Nothing really developed, as there wasn't much chemistry with anyone I'd met.  September 2002 I left for a one year master's program in art history at Edinburgh University.  I was busy with classes and work, so I wasn't actively searching for someone (though I did have a mad crush on one guy, who did not reciprocate).  I went back to the states for christmas and on December 26, I received two emails from 2 different guys in Scotland who had seen my profile.  One was in Glasgow, the other was in Dundee.  I replied to them both, but a better conversation developed with the guy from Dundee (who was actually English it turned out).  We talked about what we were doing over the holidays.  I saw his picture in his profile and thought "not bad, this one has some potential".  ;) We continued to email through the new year, then I returned to Edinburgh.  I had to submit a major essay a week after I got back, so I was buried under my work for most of that time.  After I handed it in, I emailed him again to let him know I was still alive and that I hadn't been ignoring him.  He seemed glad to hear from me and was afraid I'd forgotten him.   We started emailing once a day, then twice a day...after about two weeks I was ready to speak to him on the phone.  I appreciated that he was willing to take it slowly, I'd met people after one IM conversation who were not at all what I'd expected.  I wanted to get to know him first.  Our phone conversations would last for an hour or two at a time, which I took to be a good sign.  We agreed to meet on February 7, 2003.  I only told my roommate and two other friends about him, as I didn't want to get my hopes dashed like with every other person I'd met online.  He came down to Edinburgh so we could have dinner.  My first thought when I saw him at the train station: "he looks as good as he did in his picture.  Yes, there is definite potential here."  We went for a drink, then had a very nice meal at a lovely French restaurant (Maison Bleue for anyone who's familiar with Edinburgh), then went for dessert, then to a pub...we were having a good time. 

Then it came time for him to catch the train back to Dundee...so we walked to the station...to find it had already left.  He was deeply apologetic, said he would sleep on the kitchen floor if need be, etc.  We headed to the bus station to see if there were any buses (not that I was trying to get rid of him or anything), but they had all gone as well.  So clearly the solution was to go to another pub and get wrecked.  Now, I'm not advocating this as a good way to conduct oneself on a first date, but if I'd had any qualms about him I would have made sure we got to the station in plenty of time.  Needless to say, he came back to my flat...and he didn't sleep on the kitchen floor.  ;)

We've been together ever since; I moved in with him for three months after I finished my dissertation.  He came home with me for Christmas 2003, when I had to move back to America (I did not want to risk being deported).  We spent most of 2004 apart; he was finishing his PhD in chemistry and I was working.  I visited him in March and June, and he visited me in October and then in Jan/Feb 2005.  It's been challenging to be apart, but there's no way we wouldn't stay together.  He proposed last year on my 25th birthday. ;D  We're getting married on May 30 in England.  I can't imagine sharing my life with anyone else.  He does make me want to be a better person, and I smile like a fool every time I think about him.

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2005, 04:56:33 PM »
Online in Feb 1993.  I was at uni and he was in the US, and we began emailing regularly.  He came over to visit in August, and I came over to the US to au pair in 1994; a few months later, we were engaged, and in 1995 I returned to America and we married.
"An unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2005, 10:44:52 PM »
I am amazed. I thought I was the only one!

I am contemplating a move to Scotland to be with a wonderful man I met online. We have never seen each other in real life and we come from countries with different languages (he's German, I'm American), but I believe anything can be overcome and it will be more than worth the effort.

We will meet in August for the first time and our story will begin a new chapter.

Thank you for your wonderful posts. I am comforted and encouraged.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2005, 07:38:59 AM »
After the breakup of my previous LTR, I decided that I wanted to put a little more adventure into my life.  When I was in Univ, I always got on well with a wide variety of international students & I love traveling.  Since I'd been married & divorced twice already, getting married wasn't exactly on the top of my list for 'adventure' - btw. ::)  (I'd had enough of that 'adventure' -- thank you very much.)  So I posted a profile on a free international pen pals web site, in the hopes of making some new friends abroad.  After about a month, I received a very polite & well written email from Steve -- asking if I would like to correspond with him, and so we began exchanging email.  That was mid-Oct 2002.  It started as a very friendly & casual pen pal thing, but it soon became very clear that we had loads in common (love for travel, languages, reading, etc) and were just drawn to each other -- at least through the written word.  I think he called me on the telephone for the first time about a month later (Nov 2002), and before long, we were making plans for him to visit me in the USA (in Tampa Bay, FL) in mid-Jan 2003.  Since it was an internet thing -- being cautious -- I insisted on his coming to see me first, in my then hometown -- where I would have my car & my friends nearby, etc.

We got on swimmingly!  Literally. ;D  During his visit, we went to swim with the manatees (something I'd always wanted to do) at this place:  http://www.birdsunderwater.com/manatee_info/index.html   Also, a friend of mine from work helped me secure really really cheap (deeply discounted) accommodation for the week right on St Pete Beach!

After that, we spent a year traveling back & forth every few months:  I went to England in May for two weeks, he came back to the States in August for a week, me in England again for a week in October, and then I spent a month in England over the Christmas/New Year holidays 2003/2004.  Like any dating couple, we had our ups & downs, etc.  The distance was really hard for me to contend with & Steve (being a man) wasn't keen on making a long term commitment -- stuff like that.  It was such an amazing whirlwind year (2003) - but by the end of all that, I'd used up all my accrued paid vacation time from work AND had taken a one month unpaid leave of absence.  When I returned to the States in Jan 2004, I knew it would probably be at least six months before I would be able to travel & meet up with him again...and that was a prospect that I didn't feel very good or confident about.  Plus there was another dating interest beginning to stir itself up at home there in FL.  I was very open & honest with Steve about all that & my concerns for the long term, etc.

Bottom line -- he decided that he didn't want 'this' to end so he proposed (over the telephone) -- the two of us figuring that getting married (at least in our instance) was the way to get me over to England to stay.  And we were in lurrrrve too. [smiley=smitten.gif]  We started working on the paperwork, my moving, etc in mid-Jan 2004 -- he came back to the States to travel all over with me in March so he could meet all of my family, and I moved here March 28 (day our plane landed back in the UK).  We got married Aug 14 2004 and closed on our house Feb 25 2005.  We are very happy. ;D
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2005, 07:08:44 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents worth. David and I met in a beginners IRC chatroom. After a while we were mods in a room called Achatz in March of 1997.  Along with several ppl from where he worked they were in these rooms all the time. I have always understood the "English" sense of humor. So when they were taking the piss out of someone..I understood.

It wasn't until his moniter broke down did David realise that he felt something for me. I didn't know myself at that point, but quickly realised. We were both married at that point..but as others know if you are on the internet like this something is wrong somewhere.

Well to make a long story short...I filed for divorce the 3rd of July 1997..was picking David up on the 5th of July from Tulsa Airport.....It was fantastic!!! He came back to the IOM and filed himself....Came back in October and I was here
for bonfire night. He asked me to marry him over Christmas and I stayed!.........We were married the 27th of June 1998!!  :-*

Until October of last year had only been back for 1 week when my mother had a heart attack...in 2000.

Shell

• Proud US/UK citizen & Royal Marine Commando Wife!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2005, 06:47:25 PM »
I owe thanks to my good friend, Amy.  If is wasn't for her bold and goofy ways I would never have met my husband, Mark.  I lived in Jacksonville, North Carolina at the time.  Amy and her husband (an American Marine) lived on board Camp Lejeune.  Amy and I were driving through the parking lot of the commissary on base around Memorial Day and low and behold, a bunch of Royal Marines were coming out of the PX.  Much to my embarrassment, she picked one out of the crowd, pulled over beside him and asked him to say something to us.  Meanwhile, I was crouching down in my seat, hoping I would disappear...LOL  Needless to say, the Royal Marine she pulled to was Mark, and he was filthy dirty from doing maneuvers in the field all week.  We gave him our phone numbers and invited him and some of his friends to a BBQ.   Much to my amazement he kept calling me even after returning to England.  He came back to visit me that August, and we went up to West Virginia where he met the family (they all LOVED him!!), before he left we became engaged.  We were married in December and I moved here in January.  Then in May, I gave birth to our beautiful baby girl, Isabella.  We are extremely happy and wouldn't change anything about the way we met.....I will ever be thankful to my quirky and wonderful friend AMY!!!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 11:30:38 AM by wvgirl69 »

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2005, 02:12:15 PM »
Ben and I were High School sweethearts.  He broke it off with me over the phone (I'll NEVER let him forget that) shortly before he went to college a few hours away.  We were still friends, kinda.  I went on a ski trip about 4 years later and found out he was supposed to come, but couldn't at the last minute.  It got me thinking of him, so I gave him a call when I got home to see how he was doing.  After playing phone tag for quite a while, we decided to get together for some ice cream (goodberry's) and got engaged 7 months later.  We were married 13 months after that.  It's been almost 6 years and we've been through a few rough times, but we've learned that we'll always have each other.  I love him more and more every day!

Jen

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2005, 03:33:38 PM »
Hi everyone - my first time on here.  I hope I won't bore ya'll.  I came over here with my parents in 1972 from New Orleans, my father worked on the oil rigs.  In 1976 I met a guy in a local pub, we met in June, engaged in August and married in the December 1976.  I have 2 grown kids of 20 & 24.  I am now an old 47 year old single lady!!  But  I chose to stay here in England because I have the kids here, my house is here and so is my very good job.  It's not to bad a place to be really.  I live in North Norfolk. 

I guess I will go home one day but for now I just visit everytime I can.  I do miss being home -even after all this time!  The good food, great weather and fantastic people!!  Stateside will always be my roots but home is where you make it.  We can be happy everywhere!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab