55 (7.8%)
Through family
15 (2.1%)
As penpals!
13 (1.8%)
other
58 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 638

Topic: How Did It All Begin??  (Read 95664 times)

• I'm Josie from the block AKA silvermoondust
  • Liked: 0
Re: How Did It All Begin??
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2005, 09:30:38 AM »
Newbie here.. I love these how we met stories! They're lovely and I especially like reading ones about meeting on the net, because that's how my husband and I met.

Well I've told this story 10,000 or so times on the other forum, so here's my 10,001st  ;). Met in a London chat room while I was still living in NYC, he here in Glasgow. He asked to view my camera, but I turned him down immediately because a lot of guys were asking to viewme for indecent purposes! So he messaged me, and I asked him a few questions to make sure he wouldn't be a perv. I felt he was good enough, so I let him view me. He made some BS crap about his cam being broken ( later on he admitted he lied and after I turned my cam on he didn't want his on  ::) ). He talked seldomly but when he did, he was either funny, or really sweet and nice and yet I had gut feeling he was being genuine and not putting on an act. That made him stand out from any one else I was talking to. I never met anyone else online who was quite like him, so I knew from that night on that we'd have at least a good friendship going on. I knew he felt the same when he asked me exactly what time I would be on, exactly what day, so he could talk to me again  :P We ended up chatting the next day and he finally let me view him on the cam. And only about a week after meeting we fell in love with each other! We knew it was too crazy,. but we knew it was something very special.

So from that time on we viewed each other and spoke every single day for the next 2 1/2 years. We met up just over a year after meeting each other online, he came to NY. I flew to Glasgow about 6 months after he visited me. And we got engaged some time in between LOL and last month on August 13 we got married. We still talk about how weird it is that we met in a chatroom , lived over 3000 miles from each other, but we worked our butts off to get where we are today, married, and looking forward to spending the rest of our lives together.
Born and bred NYC-er living in Glasgow
Married to my scrumptious hottie Scottish boy on August 13, 2005.

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »
I am also a newbie here as well. I just wanted to say that it really is so nice to hear your stories and experiences. It really does feel like I’m not alone sometimes!  ;)

I meet my Irish boyfriend in an Irish bar (surprise, surprise), in Woodlawn, NY a few years ago. Yep, and it just so happens to be the very same bar that both my sisters found their husbands in! It was 2 days before my birthday and we got to talking for ages, exchanged numbers, and I left that night thinking nothing more than he was a really nice guy.

Well, I was a work the next day and there was a message on my cell as soon as I got off the subway. He had left a happy b-day message and asked if he could take me out. That was pretty much it for me. We ended up dating from that day on. Its funny how things seem to work though – fast forward to last summer, he was traveling back to Ireland and got stopped and was deported back to Ireland. Yup, it was a bit of a blow to both of us at the time, but we tried hard to make it work out for us. Long story short… (sorry, didn’t expect it to be this long) we did the long distance thing, broke up for a few weeks, and then a few months back we just re-united again. I am now planning on heading over to London (where he is now) to be with him! I am awaiting my passport to come through the mail and am so excited to be with him again as I can’t imagine being without him! I am planning on heading over just after Xmas so, London, here I come!!  ;D
Make an effort to learn something new at every opportunity

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2005, 12:38:09 PM »
Such romanticle story's you all have shared!

I met Alex in a chat room on Sept 12, 01  the room was called "American blessings" in regards to the Sept 11 attacks..we got to talking and we fast became great freinds speaking every day on the net for hours and hours...Alex flew out here the following June to meet me, it killed me for him to have to go back but he had no choice but to as he was here threw the visa waiver program,  Alex returned back here in October and proposed to me, we were married on Oct 19th and will be celebrating our 3rd anniversary next month..we are hoping to be over there for our anniversary next month as Alex wants to take me to Ireland for it..

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2005, 02:29:19 AM »
I'm new here as well and love reading everyones stories.

I met my boyfriend through work. We both attended a conference in Dallas in Jan '03 and every night I would bump into him and his friends. We chatted a bit throughout the week and then he went back to England and I went back to Portland. We both attended the same conference again the following year in Nashville and again, I kept bumping into him (there were over 2000 attendees so it was kind of odd). We chatted at length one evening and discovered we had a lot in common. Again, we both headed home at the end of the week. But this time he emailed me when he got back. We continued to email each other daily after that and I looked forward to coming into work and knowing I had an email waiting from him. We would talked about all kinds of things but never whether or not either of us were dating anyone. Then in Oct '04 he asked if I wanted to meet up with him for a long weekend somewhere. I had a meeting in Vegas that week so he came and met me there. We totally hit it off and realized we liked each other as more than friends. We've been together ever since.

We decided to make it work, one of us needed to relocate. A couple of months back, I was offered a job with my current company to transfer and just weeks before I was to move, it all fell through (I had my WP, visa, everything in hand). I was very discouraged until this morning when I received a call from another team I had interviewed and they offered me a job! So now I have to go through the whole work permit and visa process again and hopefully I'll be over there soon. Fingers crossed.

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2005, 08:12:13 AM »
We both frequent a photography website called DPChallenge and a chat (which he owns) called DPCFanatics. Some of the members were having a get together in London in March and I decided to attend. We had talked on chat before so I asked him if he wanted to go to dinner or something the day before the actual get together and he said yes. Another friend of ours joined us and we had a good dinner in Chinatown. After dinner our friend went home and we went around London for some night photography. Needless to say, we hit it off and ended up spending most of the weekend sightseeing together, we even went to Stonehenge. We didn't realize how much we liked each other until I went back to Italy........the rest is history.  I am currently stationed in Italy and I'm getting out of the navy (US) in february just in time for the wedding.  Going to the US for a couple of months while we get married and sort the visa out.

June

« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2005, 06:21:43 PM »
My English fiance and I met at the age of 18 on the internet through a chatroom called Habbo Hotel.  For a year I hadn't gone to it, then one day in March 2004 I suddenly felt a need to go on it and find somebody to talk to.  After an hour of aimlessly doing nothing, I was about to leave but Chris, who had only first joined there that day, started to chat with me which made us became very close friends.  My heart knew that he was something special.  He had the most amazing personality and could make anybody smile when they were down.  On Valentine's day that year he sent me a little love email to let me know he was interested in us being more than friends.  Then two days later, with mixed feelings and reserves about the vast distance between us, we started to date on line with a vow to meet in October.  I was scared my parents would hold me down from meeting him, but in October, after several arguments about what I was doing with everybody around me, I finally did meet him in person on Halloween '04 for a week, and we were engaged 4 days later. 

At the end of December I quit college to be with him in January 2005.  For 3 months we did a test run of what our lives would be like if we were living together, and from there we knew that we were head over heels in love.  We worked perfectly together.  At the end of those months, I took him home to my family and they fell in love with them.  They even cried when he left.

He flew back again to see me in April, and then I made the big move July 9th to England.  I now live with him and his family, and we are now going to be married in a few days (October 22nd).  Every day, I count my stars and luck that fate brought us together as I went on line that day because my life without him would be dull, empty, and sad.  [smiley=love.gif]

« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2005, 01:38:56 AM »
Did the internet thing. Tho I was on a site I thought only Michigan guys could see and after going on 9 loser dates I was ready to hang it up and then Paul wrote me and that was almost 3 years ago :)

Kirsten
3,700 Miles Is Too FAR!!!!

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2005, 10:21:45 PM »
I met my Brit boyfriend on a global work training course in Brussels.  I had been working in Frankfurt a year and he was working for the same company in London.  The course was almost four weeks so we all got to know each other well. 

We somehow managed to phone each other a few times and I traveled often to London to visit some of my other friends there.  We always met up when I was in town.  Then I invited him to Frankfurt and somehow he managed to convince me to dump all the guys I was dating in Frankfurt and only date him. 

That was a bit more than a year ago.  I now live and work in the UK, we are still together and I'm thinking that maybe he is the one.

« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2005, 11:38:55 AM »
I met my dh, Rich, via Yahoo! Chat on 14 April 2000. I can't remember which chat room but I believe he sent me a message first! I spent the first half hour trying to convince him that I was genuine and not one of his friends playing a joke. We had similar interests and I think he couldn’t believe I like the same things.

In June 2000, I applied for a student work abroad placement in the UK with BUNAC. I got accepted, but was still deciding whether or not to go. I got my US passport in July...

At the time I at university and was going through an extremely tough time with my dad and step-mom (who thought I was up to all sorts, but definitely was NOT). In early August, I finally moved in with my sis, Joy, and left uni, although my dad and step-mom thought it was the worst decision I ever made; however, my mama understood and knew that I needed a break from it all!

Rich came to visit me in FL on 21 August for a week. He asked if I wanted to go back with him -- and I did! After my 6-month student visa expired in February, he took me to Cyprus for a week, where he proposed. I came back on a visitor visa and thought we had all the time in the world to get married. After a few months of being back in the UK, I thought I should enquire with UK immigration. I was informed that I needed to get married before my visitor visa expired in August. So I had to organise a wedding in less than two months! We were married on 21 July 2001 at the Middlesbrough Registry Office, with our reception at the Hardwick Hall Hotel (www.hardwickhallhotel.co.uk. I will post some wedding photos ASAP in my photo gallery once our laptop is fixed). I wouldn't change a thing except to have my dad there give me away. He couldn't make it due to it being short notice, apparently, although he knew at least a few months in advance. I had to have dh's grandfather give me away.

I've only been back to FL once in 5 years! I just never thought I'd end up married before I w as 22! Now at 26, I'm wondering where all the time has gone!

• I miss you so much. My heart is forever broken.
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2006, 09:03:09 PM »
How did you meet your husband/wife or Boyfriend/Girlfriend?

Adam & I met online 5 years ago in a teen love chat room. We had a big bunch of friends that would get on and we'd all chat. He was online dating a friend of mine and I was online dating someone else. We both broke up with our SO and started talking alot on the phone and online till all hours of the morning/night.

Did you know from the start that they was going to be your love for life?
Yes...I knew from day one when we started talking as more than friends that I'd do anything for this man.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

• People will believe anything if you whisper it.
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2006, 01:29:49 AM »
I met my other half in an irc chatroom waaay back in early1995. It was considered geeky back then to be an "internet couple" Actually I met his friend who lived down the road from him first. His friend introduced us. I knew he was very special after talking to him for a few days.

We spent many late nights and early mornings due to the time difference, me being in PA and him in Wales. I remember his mother thought he had turned into a vampire as he never emerged from his room till very late afternoon.  ;D
I remember the phone bill was enormous and both of us were saving money like crazy to see each other. There were some very hard times in our relationship. Distance is hard to deal with.  My family didn't have alot of money and I had managed to save enough for my trip, then my car blew up and I had to spend all my money on a new engine. I was crushed. 

He came over to meet my family and see me for the first time in Nov 96. He proposed and I said yes. I went to meet his family in Feb 97 and in May of 97 we were married. 9 years later and we are still together! I married young at 21 but so far haven't regretted it. No little gremlins running around our house yet, but we are thinking about it. We both feel "grown up" enough now  [smiley=joker.gif]

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot. ;D

• Liked: 1
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2006, 12:25:41 PM »
on Yahoo Personals
I liked his profile and sent him a "ice breaker" before I even came to the UK
I didn't hear from him for nearly 2 months
Then we exchanged a few mails, phone calls...agreed to have a lunch date, which turned into an all day trip, and we spent the better part of the next 7-8 days together getting acquainted...and more and more attracted!
Tomorrow makes all of 2 whole weeks as a couple and he has now told  his mum he has someone he wants her to meet! ;D

• Tao
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2006, 06:05:34 PM »
I started going to chat rooms again after a while.  I wasn't working and I was bored, so I went into a trivia room online.  There I met a guy who was kind of annoying only because he kept getting all the answers before me.

Mr. Annoying and I started talking when we both found out we were vegetarians and that we were into the eastern religions. 

Since June of last year, we've talked every day except for one day when the power and phones were knocked out at my house due to Hurricane Rita.

We've met a few times and each time was magical.  I'm now marrying him and going to live with him in England's Green and Pleasant land....

Just waiting for my visa.

• I Love My English Prince
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2006, 03:36:46 PM »
internet here too:

It all happened actually over 6 years ago he and i both were on a programming group/crew on AOL called FusioN, but we never really spoke, Last year after being on the net virtually 24 hours a day in he pops to the chat room and we both said hi, I was at work and it was New Years Day, He said I will call you, Up until that time i didnt believe he was british and had never heard a true brit accent except on t.v. He called and we chatted for just a second and then he hungup. I knew at that moment it was a forever thing, dont ask me how i just knew. The next day I went out and purchased a phone card and voila' were still together. I saved and took 10 days off from work and flew over to England nervous as a cat, I was worried he would think i was fat and not his type. He was soo nervous standing there at the airport with his family. Then there was also the age thing which seriously bothered me at first because i am 12 years older than he. But it didnt bother him one it and no one raised an eyebrow at it over there the whole time . I was so in love with him . He took me up to the Barrowfields got down on one knee and proposed to me right there overlooking the sea. God i love this man. Then reality sat in and I had to go home to Virginia and all the late hours and crying sessions cuz we missed each other was all over when he finally boarded a plane and came to virginia to see me.. Now were married hapily and moving to England the first week of June.

• Kat
  • I don't have to like Bush to love my country

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2006, 12:28:14 AM »
Sam and I met online on a forum for a band we both like.  We started talking, and it was like someone understood me for the first time in my life.  So we'd talk like all the time, both getting up/staying up at ridiculous hours to talk and talk and talk.  I never considered us anything more than friends until about May 04.  And I found myself doing things that I would have done if I were interested in someone.  We met for the first time in June, and I was just floored...she's so beautiful.  I was dying to tell her how I felt, but I was so scared.  I had never been involved with someone "online" who was also a woman, but it is so natural.  At the time I didn't know, she felt the same way.  We finally told each other in September, and have visited back and forth since then.   If all goes well my daughter and I will join her in Exeter in Feb/Mar 07 (the original date of May is too long!!!!).

I always thought that the love of my life would be my best friend....and she is.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning" Catherine Aird

Sponsored Links