Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cashing cheques/money orders from the USA in the UK  (Read 5159 times)

• Liked: 0
Cashing cheques/money orders from the USA in the UK
« on: November 04, 2010, 11:29:11 AM »
Hi all

Im a newbie here but just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice? I recently got married to a US citizen and we received some very kind gifts. We got a cheque from Bank of America made out to cash and a personal money order from TD Bank made out to my name.

My question is simple...how do I cash them/pay them into my account here in the UK!? I have a personal account with RBS, would they cash them for me do you think?

Many Thanks for your help in advance!

Re: Cashing cheques/money orders from the USA in the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 11:31:50 AM »
Ive deposited 4 checks from the US made out to me with no problems. I just took them to the bank and they filled out some forms and thats it. We use both HSBC and Lloyd's TSB and there was no problem with either.

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:05:49 PM »
My husband just asked his bank, Smile, about cashing a US check made out to him and they've said there's a £4 charge for international checks, and that they must all be endorsed on the back (not usually done in the UK). I've done it in the past with Barclays and I seem to remember there was a fee with them, too, and it took several weeks to come into my account.

We had a few problems with checks from US relatives for our wedding gifts, but mostly because they wanted to write out something stupid like "[his first name] and [my first name] [his last name]". And err, not only am I not taking his name, by my US bank has no clue who is, either. So those relatives got a very nice and sensitive call from my mom to please rewrite the check in my actual name so we can cash it. But that was only like 3 checks out of 50-odd, so mostly people had the sense to ask first (and look at our registry where we gave check instructions).
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:35:20 AM »
Is there any way you can get someone to deposit the cheque in your US account, assuming you / your partner have one? That way, you don't lose any of the money with fees and exchange rates. The money can be then used towards your next US trip. Just a thought!  :)

As SP indicates, you may need to send the cheques back to the giver to rewrite them in your chosen name.

Sponsored Links