Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What if you become a British Citizen??  (Read 1716 times)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
What if you become a British Citizen??
« on: March 19, 2003, 03:04:26 AM »
Hello Helen,
thankx for all your help on this forum..just have a question...i am married to an englishman and i know you can become a citizen after 3 years...if i chose to do this..will i still have to report my income working in england on US tax forms??

is there a benefit to filing a US tax form if you are working in england?  i know you dont get double taxed?  and that it is the law you have to file it..even if you become a dual citizen

thanks
lisa :)
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 0
Re: What if you become a British Citizen??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 09:16:34 PM »
Hi Lisa

Filing a US return is not a choice for US citizens or greencard holders, rather it is a requirement in accordance with the legislations regardless of where in the world they live, how long they live there for, or whether or not they obtain the passposrt of that country.  There are even rules for those individuals who give up their US nationality or Greencard which requires them to file a return after doing so (expatriation rules).

So , in answer to your question, NO, there is no benefit to filing a US tax return, but you don't have a choice in the matter.....(Harsh , but true.....) I wish I could tell you differently.....

Helen
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab