Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Prince William & Kate Middleton Engaged  (Read 3284 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: UK: Prince William & Kate Middleton Engaged
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2010, 12:52:27 PM »
They've just announced the wedding date.  April 29.  That's DH's birthday, so he's REALLY hoping for a bank holiday lol!

Hrmph. We were hoping for something a bit more summery.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »
Hrmph. We were hoping for something a bit more summery.
Too many conflicts with the Royal calendar, I understand  ::)
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »
According to the Guardian it will be a Bank Holiday!

So excited because we already had a 2 week holiday to Ft Myers & Miami (with DH's Parents & mine :-X) planned and now we only have to use 7 days of Holiday! Yay!
LLR Oct 2009, ILR Nov 2011, Citizen June 2013
DH's Greencard May 2013- back in the USA Aug 2013!

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2010, 02:20:56 PM »
Woohoo! With it so close to Easter and the first May bank holiday, it means we'll get a four day weekend (Easter) then a 3 day week, then another four day weekend (wedding & May Day).

My husband and I have decided today that we're booking off those three days and going for an 11 day road trip through France like we've talked about doing for years! YAY!! Thanks, Wills and Kate!
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2010, 03:00:12 PM »
Woohoo! With it so close to Easter and the first May bank holiday, it means we'll get a four day weekend (Easter) then a 3 day week, then another four day weekend (wedding & May Day).

My husband and I have decided today that we're booking off those three days and going for an 11 day road trip through France like we've talked about doing for years! YAY!! Thanks, Wills and Kate!

I told dh to book the dates off around it, because we're going on hols too!  Best wedding present to non-guests ever!!  

I was thinking about this today after they announced the date.  While I'm not big on all the royal stuff any more (must have worn it out when I was a kid), I'm pleased they are getting married.  I had wondered from time to time whenever a picture was in the newspaper if he was just stringing her along or something.  I'm glad that's not true.  

All the best to the happy couple!  I'll be on their honeymoon!  ;D

• Liked: 4
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
I booked a holiday to Southern France last night--returning 28 April :)  Looks like I'll be back here for the wedding.

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2010, 10:15:25 PM »
I also heard that the royals/middletons will be paying for everything except security, so even more good news :D

• Matthew's two favourite things - chocolate & !!
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »
Without wishing to raise a discussion that no-one wants I'd just like to add something to reasons for having the monarchy.

My husband as a member of the armed forces (Royal Navy) has always been very clear that he (and his colleagues) are far happier pledging their alliegance to a non-political head of state than a political president.  May not make much difference most of the time but if push ever came to shove he knows where his loyalties lie!

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 01:13:54 PM »
Without wishing to raise a discussion that no-one wants I'd just like to add something to reasons for having the monarchy.

My husband as a member of the armed forces (Royal Navy) has always been very clear that he (and his colleagues) are far happier pledging their alliegance to a non-political head of state than a political president.  May not make much difference most of the time but if push ever came to shove he knows where his loyalties lie!

I can see that to some extent, but the people I know in US armed forces seem capable of distinguishing between the office of the president and the occupant of that office.  It's how you can get distinctly right wing people in the military swearing an oath to Barack Obama without it causing cognitive dissonance.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 10:20:29 PM »
I got so fed up on our Thanksgiving trip with people saying "are you getting excited about the wedding"!
I tried to be polite but eventually I was saying "No, most people really don't care"!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab