Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Poll: Britons want William and Kate as next King and Queen  (Read 798 times)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
UK: Poll: Britons want William and Kate as next King and Queen
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20101121/ten-britons-want-william-and-kate-as-nex-a56114e.html

Really?  Cynically, I suspect that this has more to do with the fact that they are young and good-looking than any genuine belief that they would be "better" for the future of the monarchy.  However, I actually quite like Prince Charles, and that may colour my take a bit :).  It's not his fault that he has big ears and was railroaded into marrying a woman he didn't love, and I certainly don't believe he had anything to do with Diana's death.  I was under the impression that people liked him more now, approved of his marrying Camilla, and wanted him to be king? 

Thoughts? 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

Re: UK: Poll: Britons want William and Kate as next King and Queen
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »
Either way works for me. I dont have a problem with Charles and Camilla at all. I think the one advantage of William would be that there would be some stability for many years. Charles is already 62 and the Queen doesnt look close to giving up yet. If, for sake of conversation, Charles can become King at 70 that doesnt give him much time before William will have to take over. If William takes over immediately after the Queen, he will have many years as the monarch and it will be more stable. But like I said, either way works for me, and I really think Charles deserves to be King. He's been waiting 62 years already.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »
Well, if the Queen is anything like her mother it'll be years before anything needs to be considered at all!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
Well, if the Queen is anything like her mother it'll be years before anything needs to be considered at all!

Thats what I was thinking! She could very well outlast Charles anyways.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
I like Charles and Camilla, but I don't think Charles desperately wants to be King. If he had it his way, I suspect he'd rather let William get on with it - but I'm sure his sense of duty will prevail and he'll do what he has to.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 05:56:02 PM »
I kinda like this guy's take:
"LONDON (AFP) – A prominent bishop has provoked a storm of outrage by likening Prince William and Kate Middleton to shallow celebrities and predicting their marriage will last just seven years, according to the Mail on Sunday.
On his Facebook page, Church of England Bishop Pete Broadbent describes the Royal Family as philanderers with a record of marriage break-ups who cost an arm and a leg, the newspaper said.
He also denounces the nauseating tosh surrounding the national flimflam of the  wedding and says the basis of the Monarchy is corrupt and sexist."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101121/en_afp/britainroyalsmarriagebishops

Made my Sunday night!
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »
Made my Sunday night! 

Lol!  I wonder if the survey took into account the number of Britons who just simply couldn't be bothered one way or the other - 'cause that's me!  ;D

The most interesting thing to come out of the whole thing so far has been their nicknames for each other:  'Big Willie' and (barf!) 'Babykins'.  'Big Willie' being the funniest thing!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 07:16:55 PM »
I find the royal wedding far less annoying than all the people who won't stop talking about how little they care about it.  :-X
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 07:33:35 PM »
I find the royal wedding far less annoying than all the people who won't stop talking about how little they care about it.  :-X

Preach on, sister! :D

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 07:56:31 PM »
Huh, well I've heard loads & loads of royal wedding media coverage ad nauseum, but not so much 'can't be bothered' - with the exception that Have I Got News for You was particularly good this week!  If it would all just go away, then we would have neither on to annoy anyone = result!  :D

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 08:10:37 PM »
At least we may get a bank holiday out of it!  ;D
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
Huh, well I've heard loads & loads of royal wedding media coverage ad nauseum, but not so much 'can't be bothered' - with the exception that Have I Got News for You was particularly good this week! 

I was there for the taping of that! They went on for a good hour about the wedding, which was obviously cut down to fit into 30 minutes... But you're right, it was positively hilarious. I was particularly amused by the jokes about the bachelor night... shoving your gran's face into a stripper's underwear.  :P

And speaking of notes, I'm quite fond of the Queen's face on the pound. I'm not ready to see anyone else on it, but I suppose I'd rather carry William in my wallet rather than Charles.
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:09:54 AM »
I kinda like this guy's take:
"LONDON (AFP) – A prominent bishop has provoked a storm of outrage by likening Prince William and Kate Middleton to shallow celebrities and predicting their marriage will last just seven years, according to the Mail on Sunday.
On his Facebook page, Church of England Bishop Pete Broadbent describes the Royal Family as philanderers with a record of marriage break-ups who cost an arm and a leg, the newspaper said.
He also denounces the nauseating tosh surrounding the national flimflam of the  wedding and says the basis of the Monarchy is corrupt and sexist."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101121/en_afp/britainroyalsmarriagebishops

Made my Sunday night!

You know, it's not really smart to publicly talk smack about your boss's family.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
At least we may get a bank holiday out of it!  ;D

Yes!  I'm in favour of that!  ;D

I was there for the taping of that! 

That's really cool!  You're lucky!  :D

• Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »
Was there an option for abolishing the monarchy once the Queen dies?
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab