Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Americans near Shropshire, in need of human contact :P  (Read 1700 times)

• Liked: 0
Americans near Shropshire, in need of human contact :P
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:11:36 AM »
Just moved here and missing america so badly.  My visa doesnt allow me to work for 6 months and my fiancee works a full time job which leaves me alone most of the day 5 days a week.  Anyone near by that can meet up for some conversation?

All I have here is my fiancee and I would love to meet some new people, im starting from scratch here and am quite lonely, the highlight of my week is going grocery shopping and watching Law and Order.  It would be so nice to meet other people.

TALK TO ME FRIENDSSSS
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:16:22 AM by syd88 »

Re: Americans near Shropshire, in need of human contact :P
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 11:07:43 AM »
I'm no where near you but just wanted to say hello.  :) I remember those early days too. My husband was away working during the week and only home during the weekends. I was so lonely and sad all the time but some how I worked through it. I started meeting people and we moved closer to my husbands job and now it's happy days! It will take some time for you to settle in so try and stay strong. Hell, going grocery shopping is sometimes still a highlight of my week!  ;D

I hope you have a really nice Thanksgiving syd88. Weather it's a traditional event or not. My husband and I are not doing anything special for today (just like last year). I do miss having the big Thanksgiving back home in the US but this is fine for now.

When is the wedding? 

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
Hi Syd88
I was in your position just last year..but I was newly married with my husband working all the time and I didn't have a job at the time and yes going into town to the store was a highlight..any kind of human contact no matter how brief was great..I understand what you are going thru. I am sorry I live in the southwest I am not near you...but if you need someone to chat to let me know..I wouldn't have gotten thru the last year without the help of two of the ladies off this site going thru the same thing as me..sometimes it helps to have someone to vent to..and sometimes it is nice just to hear another American accent
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love
and to be loved in return"

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
Thanks for your replies, too bad you both dont live near shropshire, I live in SUCH a small town, theres literally nothing to do.  Feel bad for spending money since Im not working and my fiancee is the only income.  I miss home so much, I miss the american way.  Last night I was so sad that I couldnt be home for thanksgiving and to them its just another day, It was a bad day to be by myself. We went out to dinner and I had a lot leftover so I wanted to get a takehome box but they dont do that here...so weird. 

How did you you meet people?  I'd like to have my own set of friends and not my fiancee.  Human contact would be more than nice, just someone to talk to, get coffee with ect ect.  How did you cope?  I hate making my fiancee feel guilty but it really is hard right now.  Not a whole lot to do, miss having a car and being able to drive to wherever, or be able to carry my grocceries to the car instead of lug them my whole journey home on the bus.  And yes hearing another american accent would be so nice haha I hate speaking in public because I dont really want to be noticed as 'the american' haha

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:18:13 PM »
Hi Syd,
I am sorry that you felt so alone and sad yesterday..holidays can be bad and last year at this time it was my first holiday away from home and I felt like you did. But I decided I would do something about it. Thanksgiving is important to me so we celebrated it. I threw myself into making my first Thanksgiving. And this year it was just my husband and me but I still celebrated Thanksgiving. I skyped with my whole family yesterday. Skype is great when you are home sick. Do you have it? And even though I live in a different part of the country doesn't mean that sometime we won't be in your neck of the woods. It was hard for me to make friends. I think what it is, is that most people here already have their friends and aren't looking for new ones. And I find my friends from home seem to be moving on with their life and don't really have time for me anymore. It doesn't mean they aren't my friends but everything is moving on whether I like it or not. Out of sight out of mind. I realize I have a lot of accquaintances. But I am slowly starting to make friends. I think I had to settle here myself before I could start making friends. It is hard when you are home all the time and you are alone most of that time. You are in a strange place that you haven't settled into yet. And you are feeling a little lost because your independence seems to be gone. You probably drove anywhere you wanted to at home but here are dependent either on your fiance or public transport. Even a trip to the grocery store makes you a little excited. But at the same time you have to constantly concentrate when you are out and about because everything that is ingrained naturally in you ...you have to relearn...crossing the street..things you never thought of and took for granted. You are trying to settle in a new country and even though they speak English you still need to get used to the culture. I remember the first time I was ever here it took me 2 months to finally realize what they were saying on the news..if you ever want to chat on the phone let me know and I will call you. You can vent and say whatever you want. That is how I survived with help from my friends from UKY and we have all met up a few times. So just know you aren't completley alone..you will get settled...you will start to meet people. I know what you mean about sometimes not wanting to say anything in public because of the attention it draws..but in the long run that could do you a favor. It makes people talk to you..people who otherwise would keep to themselves. In the town you live in are there any dance classes or night classes ...or a choir or something you could join to do once a week..something that you can go to and meet people at. Where are you from in the states? what did you used to do there? what hobbies do you have? maybe we can find you someone on here who lives near you...
If you want to chat online or talk on the phone private message me and I will give you my details...it is like I said I have been where you are and understand what you are going thru...
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love
and to be loved in return"

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:27:06 PM »
Not sure where you are in Shropshire, but there seem to be a fair few americans in the Birmingham area. It is a bit away, but there are attempts to have get togethers with other Americans, so that could be something to look into. I am in the northeast of Birmingham and work from home so I don't really get out much so it is kind of nice to try and meet up with others who share some of the same experiences as I do.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:04:11 AM »
I posted in the Birmingham thread but no one has responded lol, its only 45 min away.  Thanks for all your kind words.  Everyday seems to be a struggle.  The whole me not being able to work is hard, I feel so unproductive, Im so used to either be in school or working and its gonna be financially hard these next months while I cant work, my fiancee doesnt make THAT much.  I jsut stay home and do nothing, blahhhh and with the weather so cold I use the heater way more.
I do miss home, something I consider normal are not normal here.  They dont really do leftovers here and I loveee leftover night, and ppl are so date sensitive when it comes to food...im like yoo if it look and smells good, its good.  Its soooo expensive here, I cant believe it.  With some accents its hard to understand some brits, I feel bad haha.  I do skype often, I love skypeee and its super cheap to call other phones from home too.
What do ppl do for fun here except for movies , shopping and pubs?

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »
Hello, I'm in Wolverhampton, whereabouts in Shropshire are you as I know and have been to quite a few towns with the husband and kids. :) And you're right, it is and can be a hard thing to adjust to from everything to the accents (and honest to goodness I watched British soaps to finally start to understand the accents ;D lol) to the money. You have to stop thnking about how much that costs in US dollars or it's going to drive you mad. ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:46:32 AM by Little_Evo »

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 01:35:04 PM »
Hello, I'm in Wolverhampton, whereabouts in Shropshire are you as I know and have been to quite a few towns with the husband and kids. :) And you're right, it is and can be a hard thing to adjust to from everything to the accents (and honest to goodness I watched British soaps to finally start to understand the accents ;D lol) to the money. You have to stop thnking about how much that costs in US dollars or it's going to drive you mad. ;)

OHHHH my finacee was born in wolverhampton, I live in shifnal.  It would just be nice to have someone around to talk to, or get coffee with :)  Havent quite got into british shows yes EXCEPT skins lol.  I think its because im so used to my americans ways its impossible to just let go right now, haha I really shold cause everytime I say omg I just paid 6 bucks for cereal lol.  I went to go meet my finacees sister last weekend and she talked so fast and a different accent I found myself saying huh every other sentence...felt so silly haha.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:36:19 PM »
Yes I've been to Shifnal, it's a nice little place. ;D And I know what you mean about the prices, just give it time and yourself and you will stop calculating in US dollars. ;)

And as for the accents I just smiled and nodded a lot! lol The first time my husband took me to Blackpool I'd only been in the UK for a few months and heard these people behind me talking and I asked him what country they were from and he rolled his eyes and told me ''Scotland'' :o ;D  I swear I couldn't understand a word, but your ears will adjust I promise! ;)

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
Yes I've been to Shifnal, it's a nice little place. ;D And I know what you mean about the prices, just give it time and yourself and you will stop calculating in US dollars. ;)

And as for the accents I just smiled and nodded a lot! lol The first time my husband took me to Blackpool I'd only been in the UK for a few months and heard these people behind me talking and I asked him what country they were from and he rolled his eyes and told me ''Scotland'' :o ;D  I swear I couldn't understand a word, but your ears will adjust I promise! ;)

haha yes 'small' being the operative word, but its cute and quaint..I like it.  If only it wasnt so cold I could go take a walk and snap some pics.  How long have you been here and what did you do to make the adjustment easier?  The thing about small towns is that im so used to being near a large groccery store, mall, starbucks, lots of resturants.  All they have here are little shops.  I make a shopping trip to the mall in telford once a week to asda.  Not much else to do, I sit at home because im not allowed to work until I get married and get approved for the 2nd visa, so until feb im stuck doing nothing.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:56:16 PM »
I am a Social Worker based near the Leicester area, I was just in the Telford/Shifnal area today as part of work responsibilities.  A bit of snow eh? PM if you like, I have been here a few years and would be happy to offer tips...

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 12:06:29 AM »
I am a Social Worker based near the Leicester area, I was just in the Telford/Shifnal area today as part of work responsibilities.  A bit of snow eh? PM if you like, I have been here a few years and would be happy to offer tips...

Oh social work, how interesting :)  Not much snow, at least as much as other parts of eng. has gotten.  where from in the US are you from, some advice I could use is getting a job.  Im not allowed to work now because of the visa.  Im still adjusting to life here, so used to my life in the US been here for 2 weeks exactly.

Sponsored Links