Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moved: I want to bring flat iron, ipod, phone ect.. BUT will they burn out w/ voltage?  (Read 3287 times)

• Liked: 0
I have my Ipod, phone, flat iron, and curling iron that i want to bring with me.

Now I know they have different three prong plugs they use in the UK but just the plugsa won't be useful because our voltage is different.

is there such a thing that I can get at the airport that has a US to UK voltage converter?

I had someone tell me they had a problem with things burning out.

Are there US-UK voltage converters sold Heathrow airport?
is it expensive?

The ipod charger is dual voltage, and the mobile probably is - all you'll need for them is a plug converter. Your hair appliances might be as well. You'll need to check if they have 120 - 240 anywhere on them.

If they don't you'll need a transformer, which you'll probably want to buy at a Maplin not the airport where it will be quite expensive if you manage to find one there.

I had an hair appliance blow out on the transformer I bought in the US, but had no problem with the uk one ymmv. You might just want to buy a new straightener and curler once you get to the uk, that way you'll know they will work!
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 533
Don't know how you are planning on shipping the iron and such but you may be money ahead just buying the heavy stuff here. If you are packing the iron in your suitcase, it may be the thing that throws your weight over limit.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

I brought my iron here, but you should get to see if it is dual voltage. Mine wasn't so I bought a 20GBP transformer here. I could have bought a five pound one, but I wanted to make sure that the transformer could handle the iron. If you decide to buy a transformer, don't buy a cheap/flimsy one.

[Edited to remove trademarked name at demand of brand legal department]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:51:32 PM by UK Yankee »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

OK, here's the scoop.

As mentioned above, check the rating plate on your electrical device.  The chargers for many items like cell phones will probably show a voltage rating of something like 120-240.  In that case, all you need to do is get an adapter for the plug so it will fit the UK socket.

If, on the other hand, the device only shows a voltage rating like 120 you will need to get a voltage converter which will take the UK 240 volts and throttle it down to the 120 volts your device needs.  The trick is to get a converter that will handle the load your device will demand.  Converters are rated by the wattage they can output.  You will need to know the wattage your device needs, and purchase a converter of AT LEAST that wattage output.  In the case of devices that have electric motors you will need a converter that outputs at least 20% more wattage than your device calls for.

If your rating plate does not show wattage demand for the device, it will show amps.  To calculate wattage, multiply voltage times amps.  For example, a device that requires 120 volts at 4 amps would need 120x4=480 watts, so you need a converter that supplies at least 480 watts.

Here is a link to a 500 watt voltage converter from a US company that I bought my converters from:  http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC500W  This one costs $30.  A 1000 watt model costs $60.

I have my Ipod, phone, flat iron, and curling iron that i want to bring with me.
Now I know they have different three prong plugs they use in the UK but just the plugsa won't be useful because our voltage is different.
 is there such a thing that I can get at the airport that has a US to UK voltage converter?
I had someone tell me they had a problem with things burning out.
Are there US-UK voltage converters sold Heathrow airport?
is it expensive?
I have to ask - Why would you wish to bring a smoothing Iron to England?  You can buy one, (with steam) for £4.50 in any Wilkinsons Store, (on line, or in the shop).  Don

• Yorkshire Yank
    • my blog
Most electronics made these days will work on any voltage between 100-220, so for most things all you'll probably need will be the plug converter. I don't know about the hair straightener as I don't use one myself, but for my camera battery, camcorder, Kindle, and iPod that were all from the U.S., all I use is the plug converter.
Fiancee visa approved 17 Dec. 2010
Arrived in UK 23 Dec. 2010
Married 26 April 2011
FLR(M) application posted 17 May 2011
Received Biometrics letter 28 May 2011
Biometrics done 8 June 2011
Biometrics Residence permit received 23 June 2011
SET(M) application posted 6 June 2013
Biometrics letter received 22 June 2013
Biometrics done 28 June 2013
Received my documents and letter that my BRP is being issued 6 July 2013

Sponsored Links