Author Topic: Marriage on Visa Waiver (no status adjustment)  (Read 1541 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lightfalls

  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Nov 2010
  • Liked: 0
Marriage on Visa Waiver (no status adjustment)
« on: November 26, 2010, 06:49:43 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if my British citizen fiance and I (a US citizen) can get married on visa waiver, as long as he doesn't change his status (i.e. to: settling in USA etc), and leaves soon after the ceremony?  Also would he have any trouble getting into the country, and what paperwork should he bring with him.  Will we be able to get a marriage license after the wedding as proof of our marriage so I can apply for a wife visa to come to the UK?

Offline ksand24

  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 19611
  • Joined: Jan 2007
  • Gender: Female
  • Liked: 1976
Re: Marriage on Visa Waiver (no status adjustment)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:56:35 AM »
Yes, that's completely fine - in fact, lots of people here on the forum have done this because getting married in the US and then applying for a spousal visa, is often easier and cheaper than applying for a fiance visa, marrying in the UK and then applying for an FLR(M) visa.

There should be no problems with him getting into the US, as long as he can show immigration that he's not planning to live in the US after getting married (so paperwork he could bring might be a letter from his employer stating when he's due back at work, evidence of his housing in the US - rental agreement/mortgage statements etc.). There also shouldn't be any issue getting a marriage licence either.

If he wants to, he can print out this page on the US Embassy in London website stating that if foreigners wish to marry in the US but do not wish to live there, they should enter the US on the visa waiver program in order to marry (


Fiance(e) Visas

If you will marry in the United States with the intention of taking up  indefinite residence after marriage, you will require a fiancĂ©(e) visa.  For further information, please follow this link.

Note:  If you will do not intend taking up indefinite residence in the United States but will continue to live and work abroad after the marriage ceremony you should apply for a B-2 visa, or if eligible travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:58:09 AM by ksand24 »

Offline rosiebee

  • *
  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: Jul 2008
  • Location: UK
  • Gender: Female
  • I'm the Brit half...
  • Liked: 0
Re: Marriage on Visa Waiver (no status adjustment)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
That's just what I was looking for Ksand and I have just printed that :)
I am flying out on Saturday to marry my US chap on 2nd April, I panic when just visiting to go visit on holiday so the stress levels of standing in line and approaching IO to tell them I am getting married are skyrocketing  :o :o

All this worry, despite having my return ticket, letter from my employer saying I am on leave and will be back to work on 11th April and having my property info! :o This has helped me calm a little somewhat!

Thank you :)
2nd April 2011 - married in MN, USA
7th April 2011 - Applied online for Spouse Visa
11th April 2011 - Spouse visa issued
12th May 2011 - Hubby home :)
22nd June 2013 - ILR :) :)