Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Car Insurance on a US license?  HELP!  (Read 2082 times)

• Liked: 0
Car Insurance on a US license?  HELP!
« on: March 20, 2003, 03:05:09 PM »
Can I get car insurance over here if I have a US license?  I am thinking of buying a car today and want to know what I have to do to get car insurance and where is the best place to get it.  I want to take my time learning manual and taking the test for the UK license so I want to take adv. of the time I have on my US one.  

Thanks,
Kate
« Last Edit: March 20, 2003, 04:01:56 PM by KateWestSussex »

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
Re: Car Insurance on a US license?  HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 07:09:02 PM »
I'm not sure this will help --

We currently drive an automatic (cutie little Proton).  We just added my husband and I to my father's-in-law insurance plan.  I think it cost us £74 for the year.  However,  I have to have my UK license by October when the policy renews.  My husband's deductible is the standard, which is minimal, but mine is £500.  Once I get my license I'll have a normal deductible again.

Don't forget, if you take your test in a automatic, you're only licensed to drive an automatic.

Hope this helps!

-Lisa-
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• From Houston to Oxon 12/02
    • Lord Celery
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 12:23:06 AM »
Please, someone here correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how it has been explained to me.

I entered England on the 22nd of December 2002.  I have a valid Texas drivers licence, and I got an International Driving Permit through AAA in Houston effective 15 December 2002.  It is valid for only one year.

I'm looking into buying a car here, and I've talked to several insurance brokers today.  I've been told that I CAN be insured because of the International Driving Permit (which is ONLY valid if one has a valid US drivers license, so it's linked to my Texas drivers license)...but only through the validity period of that international permit.  Sometimes, I'm told, you can be insured with the US license and International Driving Permit but ONLY until 1 year from your arrival in the UK....at which point you must have acquired a UK driving license to continue to be insured.

But it's going to be expensive for this first year, and they will not consider any of the history of my driving record in the US.  If I were coming from an EU country, they would check my driving & insurance records from my home country and take that into account when quoting a rate.  But it doesn't work that way with the US and UK.

SO, I'm just going to have to pay up for the first year and establish my driving record here.

I'm interested in hearing from others which insurance companies have been the most flexible.  Did I read somewhere in the forum that Norwich Union would be a good source?  The best quote I've gotten so far was through an insurance broker, with the underwriter being Zenith Insurance.

Janet

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 12:31:12 AM »
My husand is with Churchhill explained I was his partner and On a USA driving licence and wanted to get a pervisional *temp licence* and start driving...they allowed me coverage..as a learner..

Might wanna check with ur spouces Moter insurance.

Cynda Gunn

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 12:33:31 AM »
I been secretly driving on my licence 3 years...if i got stop I just played the dumb yank on holiday..and when I go out on my own I take OFF the "L" PLATES.

naughty I know but a girl has to get out !!!

I don't encourage anyone else trying to do this cause if you get caught can reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally get into trouble
« Last Edit: June 01, 2003, 12:35:23 AM by cyndagunn99 »
Cynda Gunn

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 03:56:17 PM »
Please, someone here correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how it has been explained to me.

I entered England on the 22nd of December 2002.  I have a valid Texas drivers licence, and I got an International Driving Permit through AAA in Houston effective 15 December 2002.  It is valid for only one year. .....

You're all correct except you don't actually need the international licence at all.  It is useful in countries where they don't read and write English, but unnecessary for driving in the UK.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2003, 03:57:12 PM by Mr_Val »
Richard

• From Houston to Oxon 12/02
    • Lord Celery
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 06:23:11 PM »
My thanks to whomever on the forum wrote that they'd gotten their car insurance through Norwich Union.  I just got an excellent quotation from them.  They are granting me their no-claims bonus open receipt of a letter from my US State Farm agent confirming how many years I've been claimless with them.  It's saving me a BIG amount compared to the best quote I'd gotten so far.  I'm very impressed...and will likely go with them for my home contents insurance as well.

And as the person above wrote, the International Driving Permit wasn't necessary...only my valid Texas drivers license.

So thanks to whomever wrote about Norwich Union on the forum!

Janet

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 11:24:48 AM »
Hi,

I have a car and it is insureded through Norwich Union.  I am driving on my USA driver's licence with no worries.  I did not recieve any No Claimes bonus since I had no history of driving in England.  Norwich Union only suggested that I obtain my English driver's licence within a year.  The DVLA said I could drive under my Texas licence for a year as well.  So by October of next year I need to have a full English licence.  

I would suggest though that before you drive you take some lessons.  I did and it helped me out.  I still have taken off a mirror on my car but I think I would have had a nervous breakdown if I had not paid for driving lessons.  Plus when you take the driving exam they are more stringent on certain driving techniques that are not considered in the states such has hand positions on the wheel when turning and the like.  Hence, the lessons are worth the money.  
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab