Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 513849 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #10200 on: February 23, 2020, 10:56:03 AM »
So why are they bothering with the phone text thingy for fraud if they're going to authorize the charges anyway?  My USA credit cards are set to send me email messages. RBS apparently doesn't have that option. Only a problem for a short time, but really???? And the Daughter says she remembers me having phoned them to take that number off the account a couple of months ago. So.... it's baaaack.  ::)

And about actually getting my groceries delivered from Iceland, if I can't get their website to take a UK credit card, what hope is there? I guess I can try to place it with the USA card....

Okay. Capital One USA authorized the charge. Iceland's website is STILL saying it's declined. I phoned CapOne and they said everything was fine, it'd been approved.  I just spent 40 minutes listening to bad music before I got someone at Iceland who told me to use PayPal.  Uh, no. She said I can use it as a guest without having an account. Well, when I try to do that it automatically wants me to open an account, so no.

I don't have trouble with Waitrose, Tesco, Sainsburys, or Asda - or anyone else - ordering online. Iceland has their computerized heads up their backsides, and has just lost a customer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:50:26 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #10201 on: February 23, 2020, 12:34:19 PM »
So why are they bothering with the phone text thingy for fraud if they're going to authorize the charges anyway?  My USA credit cards are set to send me email messages. RBS apparently doesn't have that option. Only a problem for a short time, but really???? And the Daughter says she remembers me having phoned them to take that number off the account a couple of months ago. So.... it's baaaack.  ::)

And about actually getting my groceries delivered from Iceland, if I can't get their website to take a UK credit card, what hope is there? I guess I can try to place it with the USA card....

Okay. Capital One USA authorized the charge. Iceland's website is STILL saying it's declined. I phoned CapOne and they said everything was fine, it'd been approved.  I just spent 40 minutes listening to bad music before I got someone at Iceland who told me to use PayPal.  Uh, no. She said I can use it as a guest without having an account. Well, when I try to do that it automatically wants me to open an account, so no.

I don't have trouble with Waitrose, Tesco, Sainsburys, or Asda - or anyone else - ordering online. Iceland has their computerized heads up their backsides, and has just lost a customer.
They aren't authorized.  They are on hold until it can be determined if they are legitimate charges or fraudulent.  This is the way banking has been done for at least a decade in the US as well.  I'm sure actually longer.

And with additional fraud legislation coming in, you will need to authorize charges via text at til point purchases even using your pin.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #10202 on: February 23, 2020, 03:23:08 PM »
The guy from RBS said they had been authorized, and so there is nothing they can do about it. It would be up to Iceland to instigate a charge-back.

The guy at CapOne said the charge had "gone through" and was just waiting on the merchant's action. He also said that if it posted, I should contact CapOne and they'd take care of it.

And, having read up on "the rules" it looks like how the new legislation is implemented varies between institutions. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/jul/27/thousands-without-mobiles-could-be-frozen-out-of-online-payments
Glad I'm not with HSBC or Santander!

RBS will allow use of the card reader that I already have to use to access my online banking. And I've already had to put my pin number in on a contactless purchase, which seemed strange, but I see that's not unusual. So now that I've spoken to a live body at RBS that SHOULD be fixed. Again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:56:02 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #10203 on: February 23, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »
The guy from RBS said they had been authorized, and so there is nothing they can do about it. It would be up to Iceland to instigate a charge-back.

The guy at CapOne said the charge had "gone through" and was just waiting on the merchant's action. He also said that if it posted, I should contact CapOne and they'd take care of it.

And, having read up on "the rules" it looks like how the new legislation is implemented varies between institutions. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/jul/27/thousands-without-mobiles-could-be-frozen-out-of-online-payments
Glad I'm not with HSBC or Santander!

RBS will allow use of the card reader that I already have to use to access my online banking. And I've already had to put my pin number in on a contactless purchase, which seemed strange, but I see that's not unusual. So now that I've spoken to a live body at RBS that SHOULD be fixed. Again.
Again, wait 3 business days and you will see them just disappear. They have not gone through. Iceland can't initiate a chargeback as nothing has "gone through" (complete, successful order). You have to wait.

« Reply #10204 on: February 23, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »
Well, that would be nice.  ;D

I wonder why the hell the guy at RBS told me to contact Iceland, then?  ::)

Then again, having dealt with weirdness from RBS before...

It's only a few more months and then it'll just be the usual stuff from BofA and CapOne again. 8) They've always been excellent.

Speaking of, the pound seems to be at $1.27 this afternoon. I think I'll move a bit of slush funds.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10205 on: February 23, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »
Nan, I agree with Tami, those charges will just drop off.

« Reply #10206 on: February 23, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »
They'd better!  ;)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #10207 on: February 23, 2020, 05:25:28 PM »
That certainly can't smell much better than air freshener!  :o
It doesn't, but while not pleasant it doesn't trigger asthma attacks. They need to improve the ventilation honestly.

I had to massively increase my asthma meds last week, so at least even though I'm getting a migraine almost every day I'm still able to breathe. That's kinda important! I also went and had an eye check and apparently my vision has improved and that's why I've been struggling to see some things, and my eyes are very dry. So, dry eye drops in hand and new glasses have been ordered. Sometime after the visa I'll get new driving glasses (within 3 months of this order) but they aren't an urgent thing because its just the up close stuff that's been a pain.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10208 on: February 23, 2020, 11:56:39 PM »
Speaking of, the pound seems to be at $1.27 this afternoon. I think I'll move a bit of slush funds.

You are welcome. I’m in the USA, that always causes the pound to drop. ;D

« Reply #10209 on: February 29, 2020, 01:00:01 AM »
The 3rd party maintenance group refilled the air freshener in the toilet they set aside for me at work and I got sprayed by it first thing in the morning. Lungs have been extremely unhappy since, which reminded me I need a backup charcoal face mask and some refills on the filters for the one I have. Hah. Thanks to the panic of the coronavirus, every brand of mask I've ever used is sold out globally. I'm going to be writing to the manufacturers and hoping they have some set aside for medically sensitive people. There are also no fragrance free wards in hospitals here so I will be very screwed if I end up even with the regular flu right now.

« Reply #10210 on: February 29, 2020, 08:20:56 AM »
Bummer!  :(

Yeah, I looked for a mask about a month ago when this was all starting. The prices had already jumped massively, and I had a three-week wait to get the one I ordered. Unfortunately, what was delivered was not what was advertised so I had to send it back. I'm sure it was re-sold before they even got it at the Amazon warehouse.  It's going to be difficult to find any N-95 or higher masks at any price for a while, I'm afraid.

« Reply #10211 on: February 29, 2020, 09:39:50 AM »
There are only 3 brands that are even slightly effective against chemicals (I don't care about the particles as much, but the HEPA filters in them are needed for smoke and exhaust). Bike messengers also rely on these to stay safe at work. I am going to be picking up a 3M mask with VOC cartridges in case I do need to go to a hospital , but I'll be able to wear that for even less time and it's likely to attract even more unwanted attention or trigger panic. :(

« Reply #10212 on: March 02, 2020, 07:05:09 PM »
In the two weeks I was away, what little asphalt that was on the roads has seriously washed away.  I’ll be amazed if I make it through the week without losing a wheel.  Ahhh, English roads.  Such horrible cheap quickie jobs.  That was for you Jimbo.

« Reply #10213 on: March 03, 2020, 04:39:58 AM »
I'm in the US for 2 weeks visiting the kids. My IA is the price of food here. I keep forgetting how expensive it is. (Groceries as I'm cooking back at the family home. Not talking about restaurant food at all.)

« Reply #10214 on: March 03, 2020, 09:00:31 AM »
I'm in the US for 2 weeks visiting the kids. My IA is the price of food here. I keep forgetting how expensive it is. (Groceries as I'm cooking back at the family home. Not talking about restaurant food at all.)

It's insane.  I brought back a box of Entenmann's donuts to work and they were $5.39!

Sponsored Links