Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 513336 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #10230 on: March 22, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
As soon as I realised I hadn't soaked my bra as well, I cracked up. Just had a damp shirt for awhile. Dan didn't even notice. Haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10231 on: March 22, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
As soon as I realised I hadn't soaked my bra as well, I cracked up. Just had a damp shirt for awhile. Dan didn't even notice. Haha.

If it was white, he would have noticed.  Lol!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10232 on: March 22, 2020, 12:09:08 PM »
If it was white, he would have noticed.  Lol!
Haha. Probably! Felt like such a doofus.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10233 on: March 22, 2020, 12:10:05 PM »
Hahahaha omg!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 424
« Reply #10234 on: March 22, 2020, 03:44:41 PM »
OOPS!!!!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10235 on: March 22, 2020, 03:56:38 PM »
Thank you Lyonaria for keeping it light!  ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #10236 on: May 26, 2020, 02:21:51 PM »
I missed an email where my mom asked to schedule a call over the weekend, so last night she emailed again to say my Aunt is sick and she needs to talk to me before I see it on social media. I have told her SO MANY times that email is not the best way to contact me with something time sensitive because they sometimes end up buried. She wants to talk on WhatsApp so I don't understand why she didn't just message me with it! And the leaving you hanging with "something is bad but I'm not telling you until you talk to me on the phone" is cruel, I'm literally sick from the stress of waiting for her to wake up and speak to me. (She works late some days so I don't know what her schedule is this week or I'd just call.) It could be she fell and broke something, or it could be worse. I told her when my grandmother was in the hospital to always tell me what's going on in messages because having to wait in the dark is not okay and far more stressful than whatever the message will be. Even if it means someone has passed away I would rather know right away. The unknown is far worse, not that I can really do anything while waiting for my visa to process with travel not being safe.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10237 on: May 26, 2020, 02:43:22 PM »

And the leaving you hanging with "something is bad but I'm not telling you until you talk to me on the phone" is cruel, I'm literally sick from the stress of waiting for her to wake up and speak to me. (She works late some days so I don't know what her schedule is this week or I'd just call.) It could be she fell and broke something, or it could be worse. I told her when my grandmother was in the hospital to always tell me what's going on in messages because having to wait in the dark is not okay and far more stressful than whatever the message will be. Even if it means someone has passed away I would rather know right away.

My mom does this so i understand the feeling. I keep telling her i rather she text me and just tell me even if im not awake to see it but i think it's just an old school reaction of "i need to tell you verbally because that is the most sensitive, considerate, and personal way to do it." I'm like "woman, i am not the most emotional person and i'm more anxious and upset when i need to wait for a time we are both free for a conversation". I'd rathee be able to process it when i'm not about to go into/out of work because that's the best time for them. But then i am also okay to find out on FB than a personal call and am not hurt or offended if that happens as i appreciate you can't control how fast news spreads. Hope your aunt is okay.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10238 on: May 26, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
See my mom will text me with bad news.  I got a text when my grandma died - I would have preferred a phone call.  Our poor families, damned if they do, damned if they don't!  The distance is so much harder than anyone realises.

« Reply #10239 on: May 26, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
See my mom will text me with bad news.  I got a text when my grandma died - I would have preferred a phone call.  Our poor families, damned if they do, damned if they don't!  The distance is so much harder than anyone realises.
But I've already told her many times what my preferences for communication are because of how stressful it has been for me. She knows, she's choosing to ignore it. If she didn't already know I'd be less frustrated and angry. I'm really sorry your mother didn't respect your choices there, it's still difficult no matter how you hear. :(

I still don't know what is going on, but I don't know if she was working overnight yesterday so don't feel comfortable just calling her.

« Reply #10240 on: June 25, 2020, 11:28:12 AM »
My aunt ended up needing surgery for a rare cancer, but it was one of those where surgery to remove the tumor resolves it entirely. She's recovering well, they operated the week after finding it! It definitely would have been much healthier for me if my mom had just told me that in a message. She said it "sounded awful" and I told her that I don't care how awful it sounded to her, not knowing what was going on was 100x worse.

Current IA: doctors. I broke my 5th metatarsal in February. I've had pain in that bone since and unable to weight bear for very long without it becoming excruciating so they are referring me to the foot and ankle orthos, but in the letter to my GP they said "she continues to have pain from her little toe", as if I'm complaining about a broken toe. Why would a doctor be so dismissive while putting in a referral? I've written the secretary to ask if they made a mistake!

I had to go to A&E last week because I managed to sprain my ankle badly on top of the broken foot and wanted to make sure there were no new broken bones. That xray confirmed the bone still hasn't healed (it is at least healing some), but no new breaks. Since I can't wear my AFO's with the broken foot they begrudgingly gave me a walking boot so the sprain is starting to heal now. *sigh*

• Liked: 163
« Reply #10241 on: June 26, 2020, 01:03:16 PM »
I edit TV news, and I'm pretty good with IT stuff. I've been working at home since lockdown started, and for this one of the networks provided all the editors with 4TB drives to use, because video takes up tons of space. The drive has been working fine for 2 months or so.

Monday of this week it started throwing up errors and not connecting consistently, so I sent the boss a message saying I probably need a new one. It's not that I want to waste their money, but that I'm sure it's more important to them that the weekly TV show we work on is completed on time. It's certainly more important than the £170 that a new drive would cost, considering the network is worth $85 billion.

Today I started getting troubleshooting questions (what operating system are you running? what file system is it formatted to?) from the production manager, who is mainly responsible for scheduling edit suites and camera operators, and not for fixing IT problems. So now, rather than spending £170 to quickly fix this problem, I'm going to spend time I would otherwise use to finish the TV show answering IT questions the office manager is copy/pasting from Google search results for 'hard drive problem'.

::)

« Reply #10242 on: June 26, 2020, 01:24:22 PM »
Oh man camoscato. I have a friend who is a postproduction engineer, they go through so much hardware. They should give each of you at least 2 drives for wfh so you always have a backup!

• Liked: 163
« Reply #10243 on: June 26, 2020, 04:35:34 PM »
Oh man camoscato. I have a friend who is a postproduction engineer, they go through so much hardware. They should give each of you at least 2 drives for wfh so you always have a backup!

I'm going to make that point to the boss, who is an extremely pragmatic woman, and I think we'll probably just give the bad drive to the IT people to fix at their leisure instead of wasting days troubleshooting via email. :)

« Reply #10244 on: June 26, 2020, 04:50:55 PM »
I'm going to make that point to the boss, who is an extremely pragmatic woman, and I think we'll probably just give the bad drive to the IT people to fix at their leisure instead of wasting days troubleshooting via email. :)
You may want to make sure you have high quality connecting cables too. Some are probe to failure unfortunately when dealing with high volumes of data.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab