Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 513486 times)

• Liked: 424
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #6195 on: April 23, 2017, 01:37:23 PM »
My wife's coworker does the slimming world thing, and she has lost an amazing amount of weight!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #6196 on: April 24, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »
My painful IA today -

My toddler nephew and I were playing. He was holding onto one of his tin box toys and I think I was tickling him. I got the tin box smack in my front tooth. It hurt and immediately thought the tooth would be lost or damaged.

Spoiler alert: Luckily, it's just a bit sore.

Kids will be kids so I'm not annoyed at my nephew, but my FIL, grand-FIL and SIL (nephew's mom) were all in the room and no one bothered to ask me how I was (except DH who was very concerned) until about 10 minutes later.

No one took the toy off him or tried to prevent another injury later on (baby niece was there, too) or helped nephew realise what happened or that it hurt me, even though it was an accident.

Even when I was in the bathroom trying to see if my tooth was still there (!), nephew was coming in the bathroom to play with me. No one realised I needed a second alone (almost in tears from the sudden pain) and I had to pick him up, set him in the hallway, keep him out without pinching his little fingers and lock the door to have a bit of privacy.

I'm not going to tell anyone how to raise their kid, but I there are sooooo many thing I'm seeing with my in-law's kids that I'd do differently.

The kids are cute, though. [smiley=iloveyou.gif]
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 68
« Reply #6197 on: April 24, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
I'm not going to tell anyone how to raise their kid, but I there are sooooo many thing I'm seeing with my in-law's kids that I'd do differently.

The kids are cute, though. [smiley=iloveyou.gif]

I am glad you are ok! I would have panicked too (and be annoyed that no one bothered in any way afterwards).

I get what you mean though. My SIL will message me to tell me how bad the kids are being all. the. time. and I just want to tell her it's because she doesnt have any discipline in place. It annoys me actually so I just change the subject. The other day she was going to come by apparently but the kids wouldn't get in the car so she didn't bother. :-/

« Reply #6198 on: April 24, 2017, 09:28:49 PM »
I am glad you are ok! I would have panicked too (and be annoyed that no one bothered in any way afterwards).

I get what you mean though. My SIL will message me to tell me how bad the kids are being all. the. time. and I just want to tell her it's because she doesnt have any discipline in place. It annoys me actually so I just change the subject. The other day she was going to come by apparently but the kids wouldn't get in the car so she didn't bother. :-/

Thanks.  [smiley=goofy.gif]

I've decided that I can observe their mistakes (or what are mistakes in my opinion) and rather than correcting them, I can just change my approach and how we treat our future kids.

Of course, if niece or nephew are going to run off a cliff, I'll step in, but otherwise I'll leave the discipline (or lack thereof) to their parents.

I was quite proud of out post-tooth-episode dinner. Nephew got ketchup and chicken nuggets (in front of the TV, fed by his grandad, alternating forkfuls of ketchup (yes, just ketchup!!!) and bites of nuggets). DH and I sat at the kitchen table (away from the TV) eating a big bowl of veg. Nephew finished his ketchup, nuggets and TV and joined our veg fest, eating about the same amount as the nuggets he had. A million times healthier than his normal dinners and with a bit of human interaction to boot. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Don't get me started on his meals... ready-made meals are his standard lunch and dinner at least once a week... bags of crisps and sweets are normal snacks :-X And meals, at least at grandad's house one or two days a week, are almost always in front of the TV.

The quote of the week last week from toddler nephew was 'Come watch TV, Auntie and Uncle. It's good for you'. ::)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:30:03 PM by TravelingFrog »

• Liked: 154
« Reply #6199 on: April 24, 2017, 09:48:37 PM »
Thanks.  [smiley=goofy.gif]

I've decided that I can observe their mistakes (or what are mistakes in my opinion) and rather than correcting them, I can just change my approach and how we treat our future kids.

Of course, if niece or nephew are going to run off a cliff, I'll step in, but otherwise I'll leave the discipline (or lack thereof) to their parents.

I was quite proud of out post-tooth-episode dinner. Nephew got ketchup and chicken nuggets (in front of the TV, fed by his grandad, alternating forkfuls of ketchup (yes, just ketchup!!!) and bites of nuggets). DH and I sat at the kitchen table (away from the TV) eating a big bowl of veg. Nephew finished his ketchup, nuggets and TV and joined our veg fest, eating about the same amount as the nuggets he had. A million times healthier than his normal dinners and with a bit of human interaction to boot. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Don't get me started on his meals... ready-made meals are his standard lunch and dinner at least once a week... bags of crisps and sweets are normal snacks :-X And meals, at least at grandad's house one or two days a week, are almost always in front of the TV.

The quote of the week last week from toddler nephew was 'Come watch TV, Auntie and Uncle. It's good for you'. ::)

Kids are spoiled at grandparents, we fight it with ours (because nanny knows best right? not either of our mums, daughters mum's mum)

I make us eat at the table electronics off and veggies. It was a struggle at first when I moved over as it was only my husband and step daughter for five years. My husband hardly knows what a veg is ha!

Sorry about your tooth. I'm glad no serious damage was done. It's hard to bite your tongue when it's not your kid. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #6200 on: April 24, 2017, 10:45:06 PM »
Kids are spoiled at grandparents, we fight it with ours (because nanny knows best right? not either of our mums, daughters mum's mum)

I make us eat at the table electronics off and veggies. It was a struggle at first when I moved over as it was only my husband and step daughter for five years. My husband hardly knows what a veg is ha

The kids are at grandad's house one or two days a week and we're staying there now (just back from 6 months in Europe - thanks British Citizenship!) so that's when we see the kids. I haven't seen the kids at their house with their own parents fully in charge, but when SIL is at grandad's, she doesn't seem to object to ready meal dinners in front of the TV. She's usually over for an hour or two a couple times a week, picking up kids or just stopping by, so from what I've seen, the behaviour and habits I've seen aren't just one offs.

Sorry about your tooth. I'm glad no serious damage was done. It's hard to bite your tongue when it's not your kid.

Thanks. Ironically, while we were eating our bowl full o' veggies, I bit my tongue. >:( That one was all my fault.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #6201 on: April 26, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »
I'm so tired of dealing with these letting agents.  If we're going to pay you several hundred pounds that isn't even rent or a deposit, I want pleasant communication!  I just got a terse email from someone with whom I had been emailing very pleasantly about viewing a flat.  Yesterday they said they are liaising with the current tenants to see when we could get in.  Today I got an email saying the flat is no longer available, and it was quite a different tone from the other emails.  You'd think they would be nice considering the fact that this agency has other rental places on the market in this area, but nope.

Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6202 on: April 27, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »
I'd guess that when you were talking about viewing a flat, you represent money.  When the viewing is cancelled, you don't represent money so there's no need to be nice.  You are lucky they bothered to let you know at all.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6203 on: April 27, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »
Still...I would've assumed they'd be nice and try to convince you to look at other flats instead. Despite being asked to take us off their lists over a year ago now, they still won't stop calling me with their over-the-top happiness to see if I'm interested in a particular property or if I want to rent out my flat with them...No and no. I want to be left alone.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #6204 on: April 27, 2017, 12:09:56 PM »
Still...I would've assumed they'd be nice and try to convince you to look at other flats instead.

Exactly.  Like just because one flat is now rented out doesn't mean I don't still need a flat, and they have lots of others on the market.  (Not that I'm inclined to deal with them if I can help it, lots of letting agents in this city!)
Spouse Visa:

« Reply #6205 on: April 27, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »
Exactly.  Like just because one flat is now rented out doesn't mean I don't still need a flat, and they have lots of others on the market.  (Not that I'm inclined to deal with them if I can help it, lots of letting agents in this city!)

When they call you next to see if you're interested in a flat, tell them that you're all set as last time you felt their response was pretty rude.

I had to do something similar with a certain estate agents when one of their "managers" came around to give us valuation for selling as well as renting..he came for only the letting valuation and didn't even give us a figure after showing up very late without a call! He said he'd have to go back and have a chat with somebody at the office and they'd send the value in an email and that never happened so when they called to ask if we were interested in letting with them I told them quite frankly that I hadn't had a great experience communicating with one of their guys.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #6206 on: April 27, 2017, 02:44:01 PM »
When they call you next to see if you're interested in a flat, tell them that you're all set as last time you felt their response was pretty rude.

I will fantasize about doing this but never will in real life, so I'm glad you're fighting the good fight LOL
Spouse Visa:

• Liked: 68
« Reply #6207 on: April 27, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »
I'd guess that when you were talking about viewing a flat, you represent money.  When the viewing is cancelled, you don't represent money so there's no need to be nice.  You are lucky they bothered to let you know at all.

Bit odd. Like what has been said, they're an agency so it's not like there's just the one on offer. If they're being given the responsibility to find a flat for someone then of course they should have let them know (and be nice about it).

My inconvenient annoyance for today and most days is I swear up and down I can't go to Asda without seeing my mother in law there. No matter what time of day, she's always there! Today after I paid I went back through the aisles to the exit instead of the way everyone normally goes just so I wasn't seen. I am awful lol

• Liked: 154
« Reply #6208 on: April 27, 2017, 09:37:53 PM »

We're house (rental) hunting too and I'm so sick and tired of letting agents. My first job was in tenant referencing so I know they are ruthless, but cmon.

Just today I had one call me three times (no VM) then text me about a property. I text back saying I will call at lunch... then get bombarded with three more calls before lunch. And when I called back and said I wasn't interested just because it wasn't in the area we're looking for she got all assey.

No thanks!

« Reply #6209 on: April 30, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »
For the last few minutes, I've been watching a show on Netflix (I'm having a lazy day) and my husband has sat down next to me and proceeded listening to Youtube videos on how to fix an issue with my car. I appreciate him being helpful and looking into what he needs to do with my car....but does he have to have it playing without headphones RIGHT next to me while I'm watching TV.......?
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links